Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Need a Skoolie!!!

Seeking 30'-40' fully converted Skoolie. I'm looking for one with relatively low miles (250k or less), Allison automatic, and preferably a Cummins engine. With the interior, I like it clean and simple. It needs to have a toilet and preferably a shower, though the shower is not a necessity. Needs to be able to be sustainable off grid too. My budget is $10,500 but just keep in mind that if I have to fly out to the bus, the cost of the plane ticket comes out of that budget. So I'd probably say that $10,000 would be my actual budget. I check this site daily looking for a Skoolie to steal my heart, so PM me and I will definitely get it!

Thanks!!

khelek41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
If you put your location, it'll help.

Specify which Cummins engine 5.9L ,8.3L, mechanical, electronic???

Allison makes a quite few transmissions, some more desirable than others. non-lockup is less-desirable than 6-speed lockup 3000 series, etc., but 40' bus should have stout trans by design.

and WELCOME !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Oh! Sorry about that. I live in Southeast Michigan. In terms of the engine, I think the 5.9 Cummins is what I'm interested in. Honestly, I don't know a ton about engines. In fact, I know very little and what I have learned has been from this site. I wish I knew more so that I could be more specific. I just want a solid engine that will last a long time and has sufficient power, and an automatic transmission that is in good shape.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
You'll want a bigger engine than the 5.9 in a full size bus. It's not a bad engine, but it's barely adequate power-wise.

You'll probably want an 8.3 Cummins or IH DT466. Don't buy anything 2005 or newer unless you want to deal with expensive emissions hardware.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
If you put your location, it'll help.

Specify which Cummins engine 5.9L ,8.3L, mechanical, electronic???

Allison makes a quite few transmissions, some more desirable than others. non-lockup is less-desirable than 6-speed lockup 3000 series, etc., but 40' bus should have stout trans by design.

and WELCOME !
I would love to pin down the years that the troublesome emissions equipment stared showing up on the various engines. I know that on Ford and Dodge trucks it appeared earlier than on the "indistrial" versions of the same engines.

As best as I have been able to find the DT466, VT365, ISB and ISC didn't appear (in buses) with EGR and DEF/DPF until 2007. If this is correct then 2004-2006 buses would have the benefit of limited emissions equipment and will have 5/6 speed Allison. As far as I have found they stopped installing the AT545 in 2003.

Anyone here have first hand details? Cowlitz???

That said, I have to agree that a 5.9 in a 37'-40' bus may be under powered. I have owned three 5.9 Cummins in Dodge trucks. I love them. They are great engines. Just not in a 30,000lb bus.

If you are leaning towards a full size bus I would suggest that you look at 8.3 Cummins or DT466 International equipped bus with an Allison 2000 or MD3060.

Good luck!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the information! That helps a ton actually. I knew which engine and transmission everyone liked, but I didn't know what made it desirable. I really appreciate you guys sharing that info with me.

Now, the big question is... Are there any for sale in the 10k price range that are already converted?