Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
need a STOP Light

Im in need of a STOP light lense. I've been all over E-Bay and havent come up with one yet. This one I have is 7 inches across and is a Cats Eye #35. My local Bluebird dealer says he cant get them. If anybody happens to have a spare one gathering dust that you would like to part with Please let me know.

Also on a side note, any ideas on a reverse light to replace the ones I have? They work but I want to light up the world when backing up. I've considered some off road KC Daylighters mounted on top working off a switch but I kind of want to do something slick that might look like it wasnt added or that looks factory.
Thanks!

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: need a STOP Light

Whoops, I took a pic but I guess it would help if I ACTUALLY posted it!!
Attached Thumbnails
taillights.JPG  

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR
Im in need of a STOP light lense. I've been all over E-Bay and havent come up with one yet. This one I have is 7 inches across and is a Cats Eye #35. My local Bluebird dealer says he cant get them. If anybody happens to have a spare one gathering dust that you would like to part with Please let me know.

Also on a side note, any ideas on a reverse light to replace the ones I have? They work but I want to light up the world when backing up. I've considered some off road KC Daylighters mounted on top working off a switch but I kind of want to do something slick that might look like it wasnt added or that looks factory.
Thanks!
If yours is simply cracked and leaking, you can probably patch it up pretty easily. I used some plastic-weld on the cover for the fan on the roof (it was leaking whenever it rained), and it works fine. It'll even work if there's a few small pieces missing.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

i have a compete set of top and bottom lights and lens for the rear of a blue bird tc2000 and also the upper front too,,make me an offer,i when to all leds on my bus these are from a 94 bb. flat nose
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Bus Nut

STOP Light lens

I think ya mean just the lens. The 7 inch lens are used on many trucks and buses of the past, but usually do not have any stop or letters on same. Unless you are doing a restoration, use a plain red lens. There are often many plain red lens on Ebay and cheap. A off road driving lite mounted under body makes a great
back up lite. Two lites is better than one and a couple relays will be required. With some wiring magic, either one or two lites can be controled as single or doubles. Some times two very bright lites may attract unwanted attention. Another idea is to be able to control lites at the rear of the bus and also at the driver's seat. Off road lites are cheap and make lots of lite at about 100 watts. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Frank's Crown bus rear lights

I changed all my lights to LED and added several. The lites came from a truck salvage plave and cost about $75 each lite plus shipping. Frank
My favorite bus is a 1968 Crown school bus, called "Miss Fit". Frank
Attached Thumbnails
P5020004.JPG   cummins power10.JPG   P8120028.JPG  
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
Skoolie

The lense thats on the passenger side for brake light is just another 7 inch red lense that doesnt fit right. Screw holes dont match up etc. I've been looking at LEDS but they are $$$ (wants vs needs) I am pretty sure I can get a lense that fits but I just like the old school look to the STOP light. I've considered painting a lense to see how that would work.
And picking my girlfriends brothers brain for back up light ideas tonight I realized I have a pair of Dodge Ram driving lights in the basement. Hmmmmm... I wonder what I could light up with those? He had suggested a pair of off road lights too. I havent ruled out completely a set of driving lights mounted up high on top of the visors for the rear alternating lights. I tell ya... I WANT DAYLIGHT BACK THERE!! LOL
A set of off road lights or driving lights back there on their own switch just may be the way to go. I could also use them for illumination when camping if I have to work on something or whatever. The PD or Hiway Patrol probably would have a problem with them but as long as I dont turn them on while going down the road I doubt they would say much.

Keith I appreciate the offer. but I think I will stick with the factory ones I have until I have to replace them.

IYAAYAS
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
there on their own switch
And by switch you mean switched relay, right?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Bus Nut

I used to run 2 sets of aircraft landing lights on the back of a wrecker, 2 up on the top of the boom and 2 in the bottom of the bumper/rear fascia, great for backing up,hooking up and removing pesky clowns with their highbeams on.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Skoolie

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! Aircraft Landing lights?? HELL YAH!!!!!!!! that would work! Might be a little overkill. But I LIKE IT!! I used to have KC Hilighters on the back of a 57 chevy I used to have. almost britelighted a county sherrif once because he came up behind me and turned on his brights. I had my finger on the toggle switch about to turn them on when his rotators lit up. He pulled me over for not having taillights. (broken wire) That was a close one!!

And yes a switch with a relay or whatever it needs. My cousin is an electrical genius so I'd be calling him before I wire up anything. Or for a coupkle beers I do the install and he will do the electrical

My daydreams just got a lot brighter thinking of aircraft lights on the back of my bus. LOL I could wake up people on the OTHER side of the lake backing intoa spot with those on!

IYAAYAS
Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Skoolie

And Thank you Smitty for the lead on the other website. I will give it a look!

IYAAYAS
Old 07-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
Thanks!
Have you considered getting 2 easy to find plain red lenses & taking them to a sign shop & having them cut out some black vinyl that says stop in teh same style as your originals? They make a nice thin vinyl perfect for this as it works well on curves & contours & it would be cheap AND they would both match then - plus they will install it for you, no mistakes! I worked for many years at a sign shop as a graphic designer & most shops can be very creative in your needs... My 2 cents!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #13
Skoolie

a sign shop? now theres an idea! I guess I'm headed to the Truck parts shop or the bluebird dealer on Monday.

IYAAYAS
Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Quote:
a sign shop? now theres an idea! I guess I'm headed to the Truck parts shop or the bluebird dealer on Monday.
Let me know what you decide to do & if the sign shop works out for ya!...
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #15

Year: 1961
Coachwork: Wayne
Re-stop lenses

Hey I have two stop lenses 7" sae-s-61 if you're still looking .
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #16

Year: 1961
Coachwork: Wayne

I have two stop light lenses if you're still looking .
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #17

lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id View Post
I think ya mean just the lens. The 7 inch lens are used on many trucks and buses of the past, but usually do not have any stop or letters on same. Unless you are doing a restoration, use a plain red lens. There are often many plain red lens on Ebay and cheap. A off road driving lite mounted under body makes a great
back up lite. Two lites is better than one and a couple relays will be required. With some wiring magic, either one or two lites can be controlled as single or doubles. Some times two very bright lites may attract unwanted attention. Another idea is to be able to control lites at the rear of the bus and also at the driver's seat. Off road lights are cheap and make lots of lite at about 100 watts. Frank
You are right about almost all you told him. But a plain red lense can be coated to put the stop back, and what ever you do (unless you need good work lights) Don't mount cessna 7" 30,000 candle power Lights on those top lights, That cost me $5000 in fines. But if you work for a circus it might be worth it.
Edward Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote