Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
With the talk about how expensive it is to replace caterpillar parts does the Cat motor require parts more often than any other bus out there. Is it so bad that you would shy away from owning own on a "what if" that may never happen. If I heard stories of how often they broke down and how ungodly expensive they were to fix then I would walk. But cost of repair is not a defining reason for bagging the motor.
As expensive as a common DT466 is to fix I couldn't imagine a trip to Cat.
These things are halfway worn out at best by the time we get them. Maintenance and repairs should be planned on. The Cat 3126 is a fine engine.
But anyone buying one should know that its going to be expensive when it comes time to buy parts.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Expensive, and...only available from a Cat dealer. It is also my understanding that many of the required services can only be performed by an authorized Cat facility (?).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
With the talk about how expensive it is to replace caterpillar parts does the Cat motor require parts more often than any other bus out there. Is it so bad that you would shy away from owning own on a "what if" that may never happen. If I heard stories of how often they broke down and how ungodly expensive they were to fix then I would walk. But cost of repair is not a defining reason for bagging the motor.
Thanks for the insight, Marc!
Meredith_MacLauchlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Expensive, and...only available from a Cat dealer. It is also my understanding that many of the required services can only be performed by an authorized Cat facility (?).
Ah ok, that's good to know. Hopefully with the low mileage I won't have to do any major engine work soon...? Hopefully!
Old 05-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles O Roads View Post
That dont look bad.
Yeah, the layout isn't right for me, but I think it's pretty good, too!
Old 05-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
As expensive as a common DT466 is to fix I couldn't imagine a trip to Cat.
These things are halfway worn out at best by the time we get them. Maintenance and repairs should be planned on. The Cat 3126 is a fine engine.
But anyone buying one should know that its going to be expensive when it comes time to buy parts.
I'm unexpectedly under the gun here in terms of finding a bus soon; however, I would never want to settle on a bus that wouldn't be the right fit for me, especially when it could be exactly the right fit for someone else. It would be very helpful for me to understand exactly what range we're talking about here (in terms of what a trip to the mechanic could potentially cost)... Thanks for the input!
Old 05-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith_MacLauchlan View Post
I'm unexpectedly under the gun here in terms of finding a bus soon; however, I would never want to settle on a bus that wouldn't be the right fit for me, especially when it could be exactly the right fit for someone else. It would be very helpful for me to understand exactly what range we're talking about here (in terms of what a trip to the mechanic could potentially cost)... Thanks for the input!
My COMMON, supposedly cheap to fix DT466E needs a timing cover replaced. The parts to do the job are over $3000. If it were at a cat dealer that could be double that. With the labor I was looking at $9300 to replace the cover.
A trip to a dealer can cost as much as a small house. Seriously.
And even a small diesel shop is still gonna get ya for big bucks. They're all super busy and can basically charge whatever they want. New diesels are so bad that mechanics are scrambling to try and keep modern diesels on the road a few more years.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My COMMON, supposedly cheap to fix DT466E needs a timing cover replaced. The parts to do the job are over $3000. If it were at a cat dealer that could be double that. With the labor I was looking at $9300 to replace the cover.
A trip to a dealer can cost as much as a small house. Seriously.
And even a small diesel shop is still gonna get ya for big bucks. They're all super busy and can basically charge whatever they want. New diesels are so bad that mechanics are scrambling to try and keep modern diesels on the road a few more years.
Yikes, that's scary! Thank you, this gives me a much better idea. I'll have to make sure to get the low down on the engine because I couldn't afford to make a repair of that size for a while...which has me thinking that maybe it would be better for me to buy a cheap RV and then over the next year, find the bus for me and start the conversion myself.

Hopefully she has service records that I can look at. I'm driving to Asheville tomorrow to see the bus. She did finally send me a picture of the engine...
Attached Thumbnails
SafTLiner engine.jpg  
Old 05-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #49
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 7.2
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Appreciate it! I hope you found a skoolie for you!
I did thank you... its a 2003 Thomas HD or HDX if it makes any difference... and it too has the CAT 3126... mines great so far but ... time will tell... the motor is pretty dry with a small oil leak from the Dipstick tube to ck the oil... only has a supposed 105000 miles so yeah mines good.. my build is going slow as i too am going slow now ( darn seat removal)... lol Good luck with your decision ... Me Id jump on that bus but could'nt at the time...
Old 05-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the CAT-3126 is a fine engine.. yes parts can be expensive for them .. diesel engine parts are expensive for most anyone here on the board compared to stuff you buy for your car engines..

the biggest issue is that no one knows when or IF you will ever have to buy a single part for your engine besides belts, hoses, and oil / fuel filters..

we have seen the gamut on this forum.. those that drive all over the place and never crack open the engine (im at 50k miles across 2 busses in 2 years and havent torn the engine apart on either one.. I had an AT545 trans start to go wonky so I seized the opportunity to upgrade).. and there are those that never make it home because their engine blows up.. (rare but its happened). cummins, navistar, CAT, MBE... the yare all machines.. made out of metal and electronics and composites.. all things that can crack, short out, snap, bend, or break..

the general consensus is that the later in years you get. after about 2005. things started getting worse for diesel engines as emission controls were added.. electronics and mechanics were more complex.. operating conditions more specific.. failed emission bits could ruin your engine... to me everything 2004 and prior is all pretty equal and for the most part pretty reliable...

you want to buy a 2007 or later? then the engine-internal-repair-cost REALLY comes into play....

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Hello skoolie.net community! Thank you all so much for all of your helpful posts...I've learned so much over the last several months, but I am far from an expert! Your help would be much appreciated!

I am a freelance drone photographer who is looking to join the awesome skoolie community! My plan is to travel/work/live in a bus with my boyfriend. My current living situation has changed and I basically need to find a bus ASAP. I wasn't planning on buying a bus quite yet, so my budget isn't huge. I've been looking for a bus that already has electrical and plumbing, but I'm definitely willing to put in loads of work if the bus needs a facelift.

I found this bus on Craigslist (in Orlando, FL) and it might be the one for me! The pictures are a little rough -- the bus is dirty and very cluttered, but hey, anything can be cleaned, right?! This thing definitely needs a good pressure wash haha

Here's the Craigslist link: https://orlando.craigslist.org/rvs/d...568172249.html

Here's all of the info I have on it so far:

1988 Ward
7.3 International Diesel
Allison Transmission (automatic) -- waiting for the specific make
175,000 miles

on shore power
20 gallon hot water tank
holding tank
no rust issues (surprising for FL?)
tires in great condition
insulated (he mentioned something about limousine padding??)

I would be SO appreciative of any thoughts on this bus. It's 30 years old which worries me a little bit, and I don't know a whole lot about Ward buses. Are they dependable? The bigger engine seems like it's capable of climbing some mountains (which I will need), and it already has a shower/toilet/kitchen, which is great for me because we would be living in it pretty soon.

Your wisdom and thoughts are much appreciated

--Meredith
I have a 91 Thomas for sale!
AVL_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:42 PM   #52
Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060
Rated Cap: 72
Yea. Buy it. It’ll hold a ton of drones.
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL_BUS View Post
I have a 91 Thomas for sale!

Do you really?!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePimentals View Post
Yea. Buy it. It’ll hold a ton of drones.

Haha! I do have a lot of equipment that will require some storage!!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentReprieve View Post
I did thank you... its a 2003 Thomas HD or HDX if it makes any difference... and it too has the CAT 3126... mines great so far but ... time will tell... the motor is pretty dry with a small oil leak from the Dipstick tube to ck the oil... only has a supposed 105000 miles so yeah mines good.. my build is going slow as i too am going slow now ( darn seat removal)... lol Good luck with your decision ... Me Id jump on that bus but could'nt at the time...
So glad that you found a bus! I have a lot of thinking to do about this bus...

Good luck with your build!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the CAT-3126 is a fine engine.. yes parts can be expensive for them .. diesel engine parts are expensive for most anyone here on the board compared to stuff you buy for your car engines..

the biggest issue is that no one knows when or IF you will ever have to buy a single part for your engine besides belts, hoses, and oil / fuel filters..

we have seen the gamut on this forum.. those that drive all over the place and never crack open the engine (im at 50k miles across 2 busses in 2 years and havent torn the engine apart on either one.. I had an AT545 trans start to go wonky so I seized the opportunity to upgrade).. and there are those that never make it home because their engine blows up.. (rare but its happened). cummins, navistar, CAT, MBE... the yare all machines.. made out of metal and electronics and composites.. all things that can crack, short out, snap, bend, or break..

the general consensus is that the later in years you get. after about 2005. things started getting worse for diesel engines as emission controls were added.. electronics and mechanics were more complex.. operating conditions more specific.. failed emission bits could ruin your engine... to me everything 2004 and prior is all pretty equal and for the most part pretty reliable...

you want to buy a 2007 or later? then the engine-internal-repair-cost REALLY comes into play....

-Christopher
Christopher,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share some insight! I really appreciate it. That's really good to know about the difference between older and newer diesel engines. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #57

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Genisis
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: Handicap 16 passenger
Try Interstate Bus in Wallisville Texas
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #58

slow mo

This is a slow mo bus. Be ready to enjoy music and a show going up hill. IF the engine is in good shape (175000 is a lot even for this old banger) be ready for a diesel bill. Personally I wouldn't touch this bus. There are many others better and at good prices. Research you buses engine power, ease of maintenance, speed uphill then go find yourself a good bus.

Quote:
Hello skoolie.net community! Thank you all so much for all of your helpful posts...I've learned so much over the last several months, but I am far from an expert! Your help would be much appreciated!

I am a freelance drone photographer who is looking to join the awesome skoolie community! My plan is to travel/work/live in a bus with my boyfriend. My current living situation has changed and I basically need to find a bus ASAP. I wasn't planning on buying a bus quite yet, so my budget isn't huge. I've been looking for a bus that already has electrical and plumbing, but I'm definitely willing to put in loads of work if the bus needs a facelift.

I found this bus on Craigslist (in Orlando, FL) and it might be the one for me! The pictures are a little rough -- the bus is dirty and very cluttered, but hey, anything can be cleaned, right?! This thing definitely needs a good pressure wash haha

Here's the Craigslist link: https://orlando.craigslist.org/rvs/d...568172249.html

Here's all of the info I have on it so far:

1988 Ward
7.3 International Diesel
Allison Transmission (automatic) -- waiting for the specific make
175,000 miles

on shore power
20 gallon hot water tank
holding tank
no rust issues (surprising for FL?)
tires in great condition
insulated (he mentioned something about limousine padding??)

I would be SO appreciative of any thoughts on this bus. It's 30 years old which worries me a little bit, and I don't know a whole lot about Ward buses. Are they dependable? The bigger engine seems like it's capable of climbing some mountains (which I will need), and it already has a shower/toilet/kitchen, which is great for me because we would be living in it pretty soon.

Your wisdom and thoughts are much appreciated

--Meredith
Sp5Ko is offline   Reply With Quote