Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Bus Nut

needed Door hardware

I'm in need for the hardware to close what used to be the wheel chair access door on the side of my Thomas. Door was bolted shut when the school district sold the bus, all the locking mechanism hardware was removed.
If anybody has something laying around that could work please let me know. I think it used to be the same hardware as found on the emergency exit side door.

I'm also looking for the underbelly compartment recessed t-handle locks. Where would be a good place (online) to buy them?

swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: needed Door hardware

You could probably get the t-handles at a truck supply/parts store.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I'm parting out a B700 Ford/Thomas. Just give me a call if you want door parts, or anything else for that matter.

Patrick Young
Fresno, CA
(559) 251-3814
Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

What a sales shark this Patrick guy is.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Dizzy you are very perceptive

And he knows about nothing mechanical. The answer man of nothing. Ask folks who have talked or bought parts.
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Ask folks who have talked or bought parts.
and who are the folks that bought from him?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #7

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I have not bought from him, but I have talked with him on the phone. I don't think you would have any problem buying some door hardware from him. It would probably be much cheaper than buying new. What kind of door hardware knowledge would you need anyway?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Try giving Tim at UTB in Duluth a call and see what he has sitting around. I know Al (Olddog12) got a driver's window when he bought his TC2K there.

Dibs on the MT643, by the way...unless Frank is still looking.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

A common deadbolt works. Put a piece of 1x4 under it and it fits just right. Goes in quick if you don't punch the hole for the outside part. I just wanted to get rid of the emergency hardware, mostly because it was pretty much unlockable, and stuck this in for a 'quickie' until I could find something else.

Filled the hole where the original latch went through the door with one of those things that you use on the fourth hole of a kitchen sink when you don't install a spray hose, chrome side out and added a handle from Ace to pull it shut with. The only mod you have to make is take the back off the lock and flip the sliding part over so that it's beveled the right way, because from the lock's point of view the door closes backward.

RV latches work good too. I replaced the deadbolt with one.

It was about 30 bucks at http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/, they have a few different kinds.

I got a locking T-handle latch for my engine door here
http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.co...rts-k03x5.html
Old 12-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Bus Nut

thanks for all the links
Old 12-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Patrick Young's small business: buses and parts

Since neither Frank Rowe from Idaho nor Dizzy Izzy have neither met me, nor bought a single thing from me, I hope people will consider the source. Frank is a head case, Dizzy Izzy I know nothing about, never heard his name before.

I have owned 80 or so buses, have worked on buses for 16 years, and have dismantled about 30.

Frank is not all there in the head, so his opinions don't concern me. As far as my abilities and knowledge on buses, I'm very good. I work with buses almost every day, and can give easily 50 references from folks who've bought buses or parts from me. Anything I sell is guaranteed, from a simple part to an entire bus. I warranty a bus for 1,000 miles or 30 days, and I don't know of anyone else who will do that. If something doesn't work, or is not what the customer needed, they can return it for a full refund.

I know more about buses than any sane person should. I'm actually a high school teacher who got into buses when I needed heavy vehicles with lots of internal room to send medical aid shipments to Central America, and big U-Haul trucks proved unsatisfactory. I started dismantling originally just to send spares with the the buses I donated to Nicaragua, El Salvador, and lately Haiti. After doing 4 buses, I realized I could sell the buses and parts to support my project, instead of begging individuals and churches for donations.

If anyone has any doubts about my level of mechanical expertise, just give me a call. I am not an expert on all things diesel, but I've owned about 40 Gilligs, about 25 Crowns, a half dozen Waynes, Carpenters, Thomases, 6 Ford fire trucks, an Isuzu I-mark diesel, 2 Nissan diesels, 3 Mercedes diesels, Lister, Ruggerini, Kubota, and Deutz diesel gensets, and have worked on Cummins 180, 190, 220, 250-290 series, CAT 3208 and 1160 engines, 6-71 and 6V71 Detroits, dt466 Internationals, and rebuilt (with help) my own 1160 CAT diesel in my 1970 Gillig, and also a 180 Cummins in my 3rd bus sent to Central America.

If you would like to see my work and my project, please go to http://www.fresnoalliance.com/wheelchairproject and you can see where the proceeds from my non profit business goes to.

I always have buses for sale, and bus parts, but specialize in Gilligs and Crowns, so my inventory for other models is limited. But I have saved a certain number of parts from Ford buses, and the fire trucks.

If you need a part for any of those vehicles, get your best price anywhere in the U.S., and I'll beat it. I have no overhead, and work from my home, and my pickup.

As for Frank's quote: "And he knows about nothing mechanical. The answer man of nothing. Ask folks who have talked or bought parts." Well, all I can suggest is call me when you have a bus question, and judge for yourself.

Frank, as previously stated, is sort of a head case who used to call me up out of the blue, and talk for an hour and a half non-stop, very aggressive wanna be expert on everything. He is somewhat knowledgeable about buses and basic mechanics. But when I sinned and called him "colorful" on a site, he went ballistic and started saying all types of nutty stuff, then started posting on my Ebay ads that I was selling defective tires. (sort of hard to know since he had never seen the tires) It was a truly chicken -sh** stab in the back typical of him.

Then believe it or not, about 6 months later, after a half dozen slanderous e-mails on Ebay and Crown Coach Junkies, Franks says he going touring the SouthWest, and wants to stop by and visit (? ! ?) And then, believe it or not, after 3-4 years of this crapola, Frank wanted to join my web site, and apparently his feelings were hurt when he was turned down.

Ok I could continue, but why. If you need a bus part or an entire bus, call me. And as far as Dizzy Izzy calling me a "shark", I have idea why. I only offered the fact that I was parting out a B700, about my 4th or 5th Ford bus dismantling. Maybe he is a real person, perhaps a pseudonym for Frank.....I have no idea.

Have a good one.

Patrick Young in Fresno
(559) 251-3814 or (559) 244-1042
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Sorry Patrick I didn't make the connection between your post and the wheelchair bus project.
Really like the work your doing, your sites is one of the first sites I ended up on when I initially started looking in to getting a skoolie.
I'll contact you per e-mail about parts. Right now our bus is frozen in the -25 weather we have been having for the last weeks (windchill down to -40's) but it is supposed to warm up somewhat next week.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy
Sales shark or nice guy. either way I care not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick young
Since neither Frank Rowe from Idaho nor Dizzy Izzy have neither met me, nor bought a single thing from me, I hope people will consider the source. Frank is a head case, Dizzy Izzy I know nothing about, never heard his name before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyIzzy
What a sales shark this Patrick guy is.
In my defense I stand by my words. Saying your a sales shark does not demean you. The day I said that I was doing my morning catching up on all post. When I saw around 5-6 post on different topics and you didn't add to the subject. you just tried to sell stuff. I in now way think you are a bad person just lacking some tact. This board is a place for us to throw in input on school buses and how to rebuild them. Even though we do from time to time sell parts and or buses. Most everyone is here for the knowledge. When you come on here and in one day see we have someone new and all they are posting is "hey I got stuff to sell." then it looks like spam or someone just using the board as their personal billboard to benefit themselves. Now if you had thrown in some content then tell us you have buses and part for sale. Then I would have not called you a sales shark. So if you want to change your reputation with me you need to add your knowledge and not only your ads. So when you want to let people know you have a part that can help them then start your post with some insight and tact, then tell them you can help with the parts they need.

Second of all I don't know Frank either. But from his post he has some insight. Calling him a head case on this board, is like pointing at one rock in a gravel yard and calling it a dumb rock. We are all head cases here. Ask any of our girl friends they will agree. So what is wrong with being a HEAD CASE? So it doesn't help your standing with me demeaning and insulting a fellow Skoolie member. Again have some Tact! If you don't like him keep it to your self. If I want to see people insult each other I will go read websites supporting our Presidential Candidates.

With all that said I will wipe the slate clean for you with my prior judgments of you. SO from this point on don't be like a bad commercial. Instead of sounding like a sales weasel, Share this knowledge you have gained from your 80+ buses you have owned, your 16 years of mechanical knowledge and your experiences of dismantling of 30 buses! We can use input on all your doings.

Now with that been said lets Stop disrespecting this thread. Back to the subject.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Bus Nut

dizzy,

You call patrick out for saying something bad about frank. If i recall, it was frank that threw the first stone in that exchange. as for hitting him on trying to sell stuff, if someone is looking and he says, yeah, I got one of those, it seems he is being helpful. I don't recall him spamming threads where no one was looking for anything with offers peddling things. Maybe I'm wrong in that regard in which case, I guess he is a shark!
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #15
Bus Geek

If he's selling useful and eve hard to find bus stuff at reasonable or even cheap prices, and the money goes to help support an important charity i think he's doing us a wonderful service.

skoolie.net really isn't a place for attacking people. lets all just move on

you don't have any chrome hub caps for 22.5" bud wheels do ya?
Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
Bus Geek

If he's selling useful and even hard to find bus stuff at reasonable or even cheap prices, and the money goes to help support an important charity i think he's doing us a wonderful service.

skoolie.net really isn't a place for attacking people, however it is a place where bus people congregate and sometimes sell things. lets all just move on

you don't have any chrome hub caps for 22.5" bud wheels do ya?

--Jason
Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Hmmmmm, now according to Dizzy Izzy I'm no longer a sales shark, I'm merely a "sales weasel", and "disrespecting the thread." (?)

I offer my expertise on buses, and my parts (such as this post about door hardware) after I see someone is looking for a particular item. Many folks don't know where to get the parts they want, especially for older stuff, and I have a lot of them, but for a limited number of models. And to boot, my prices are the best. And if someone wants to buy a part they don't need (say for example a 220 water pump, radically expensive) I instead tell them to rebuild theirs, where to get it done (Fresno Friction) instead of selling them something when I know there is a cheaper alternative. It's called honesty, integrity, and putting myself in another bus owner's shoes.

If someone besides Frank or Izzy has a genuine gripe with me, please air it out, and be SPECIFIC. I promise to listen to it. But you don't, and you know it. I also don't believe it's Izzy's job is to moderate topics on the board, I believe someone else has that responsibility, and I will respect their wishes.

And as far as calling Frank a head case, well that is my best attempt at politeness, and actually less than I could say. He called me a "fraud", did 3 nasty posts during a sale on Ebay claiming I was selling defective tires, several more on Crown Coach Junkies, and now a very nasty comment on this site. All because of....... well, I'm not quite sure......I think frankly he wants to be a "star" on bus web sites, and was jealous because I post a lot, and I post a lot of funny stuff that people enjoy, that's my best guess. And I used to listen to him when he would call up, out of the blue, and talk for an hour an a half or so in a very aggressive know it all tone about buses. I coulda hung up, but I figured he was probably lonely and so I put up with him. Yes, I am a nice guy.

I want no ill will with anybody. I have a small business, buying and selling bus stuff. I surrender 100% of the profit to my non-profit, and make maybe 20,000 dollars a year working at this full time. And if you want a hard nasty job, try bus dismantling in the dirt, in Fresno, in the summertime. It's quite honestly awful a lot of the time, filthy, and dangerous,-I bleed daily.

On EBay, Frank even made a point to cast suspicion because I guarantee everything I sell, from a door switch to the entire bus. If it doesn't fit, doesn't work properly, just bring it or send it back for a refund. Now tell me what is wrong with that? (Actually it doesn't matter that much anyway, I can always just restock the part, and sell it to someone else later,- buses and bus parts only appreciate due to scarcity as the years go on.) So calling Frank a head case is not kind, I don't enjoy doing it, but it is accurate.

I NEVER cheat anyone, in today's world of the internet, word gets around fast. For Frank or Izzy, would you like to put your money where you mouth is and call some of the 150 or so people who've purchased something from me in the past year? If not, why not? Wouldn't you like to know what my customers think about how I treat them? Or would you be more comfortable just making unsupported accusations and nasty comments off the top of your head for (???) what reason?

I just sold a bus today to a nice young fellow named Eric. Great running Gillig, good shape, $3900 dollars. I spent ten days or so first trying to get him an engine for his broken bus.

For free, I helped him remove all of the seats, dispose of the frames, did an oil and filters change, this morning I was up at 7:30 sweeping out the bus, and doing the final touches to get him on the road. I charged him 18 bucks for three filters (my cost) disposed of the oil and filters for free, and his bus left flawless except for 1 dash light bulb and a lens cover we forgot, which I'm gonna drop off to him when we meet up in Sacramento this weekend.

When somebody gets a bus from me, I give an entire day of my time, free of charge, to help them do whatever they want to do on the bus. Sometimes it goes into several days if the folks are fun to be with and like buses and learning about them. They pay nothing for my help and expertise, pay only for the parts used, and I charge the real price I paid, not a mark up.

My last (previous) bus sale was to Karl Frost, a very nice GMC to a very nice guy for $2900. He spent all day with me, as we pulled all the seats (I ended up with them, and I do NOT need more bus seats in my backyard) and every other little thing he wanted done, such as hooking up an air line to the tank for one the road air. He ran it out of fuel about 60 days later, and I spent probably 3 hours on the phone guiding him thru the reprime process, telling him what needed to be done before he wore his batteries to a nub.

If someone wants, I will remove all 60 lug nuts, clean 'em up and clean the threads, put a little lubricant on them, and re-apply them at proper torque so they can change them in an emergency without an air gun. Yes, this necessitates pulling the rear outside dual, jacking up the bus, and I do it all for free. Why? Because I don't want them to have any problems. I always give folks a tire tool for free, and two sections of pipe for breaker bars. And wood blocks, and plywood in case they're on wet dirt, and on and on and on. We spend as much time as is necessary, and I'm fairly fanatical if you give me free rein.

About half the time I sell a bus, I go to the DMV with the customer to make sure the title change goes smoothly. Frankly there is no one that works harder than I do to assure that the bus I sell is 100% straight when it leaves my hands, and that the customer will tell others in the future how well they were treated. I also guarantee my buses unconditionally for the first month, or 1,000 miles, and transmissions/differentials for whatever the customer thinks is reasonable, 90 days, 6 months, I don't care as long as they know how to drive it, they won't hurt it; and I have Bayshore Truck Parts in Fresno check out all trannies and differentials before I sell them as I've been burned once or twice.

There were some nice young folks from northern California that bought a Spicer 5 speed from me, their's had broken. It was a good tranny, I sold it for $500. A rebuilt is 2400 dollars. They broke it within 10 months or so. (two broken ones now) Because I did not pop the cover and have it inspected, like I ALWAYS do now, I gave them another one for free, and paid half the installation cost ($400 dollars)

Then they broke THAT one! (three broke in 3 years or less) Turns out they had about 5 drivers, all young'ns, who did not know about double clutching, etc. The next one (#4) I sold them (after inspection) for 650, but I delivered it from Fresno to almost Eureka, it was about a 13 hour drive.

NOBODY but me would do this. I take calls 7 days a week up til about 9:30-10:00 to answer bus questions, and even if the person didn't buy anything from me, I still do it. OK I'm also a bit bored and lonely in the evenings, but that's not the point!! So c'mon Frank and Izzy, if ya want to call names and make negative comments, back it up with facts. I'm ready when you are. And remember, facts, not opinions.

I don't care what people think about me, everyone has a right to their own thoughts. But if you are going to criticize me on a public forum, especially one like the internet, then don't be surprised if I defend myself. Vigorously. This is how I earn money for some desperately poor people, and it ain't no joke to me.

Patrick Young
Fresno, CALIF
(559) 251-3814
Best darned supplier of buses and bus parts on the west coast, and probably further than that.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Howdy Jason

I agree, being mean to folks just leads to more of the same. World's got plenty of it already.

My friend, I'm not sure I even KNOW what a hubcap is for a 22.5 wheel. I think I've seen 'em on RV's before, but everything I get has regular old steel wheels, glamor for a school bus is when they put them little chrome lug nut covers on the front tires.

What kinda veehickle ya drivin'?

Patrick
-leaving for Haiti in 5 days, trying not to stress out.