Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

NEW 2020 Salvage Blue Bird For Sale

349.9 Miles, Runs and Drive, 6.8L 10 cylinder gas with auto. For Sale by Copart Dot Com in Birmingham AL. Sale Date FUTURE as of today 5 Aug 2019. Retail Value $63,460, current bid: $225 US. From picture it looks like it was hit in the rear and buckled the frame and skin above the left and right rear tires. Wish I had the money to bid, NOT going to happen. Here is the link: https://www.copart.com/lot/45270208 (More photos)

Maybe some luck person on Skoolie Dot Net will win. Note: Anyone can bid, but if you don't have a license they you will have to go thru a broker, so don't wait to bid. I have never bought anything on this site, but have seen several yourtube videos of a couple of young men buy several newer cars and repair for a fraction of the cost.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Blue Bird d061ed0f-83a9-45c6-8aad-d4056d93e91e.jpe  

WBBB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:25 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Wow, that is the first one I have seen that is a NEW MODEL YEAR vehicle.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
At 349 miles it sounds like it got hit on the very first day! I'm excluding ~200 miles for the delivery from the factory to the school district.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:52 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Looks like a 'swinging a$$' accident to me... RIGHT TURN, CLYDE! Appears the left rear took a hard hit on a right turn and knocked the frame and body behind the axle out of square. Light pole, building, take your pick. Possibly a rookie Swift driver clipped it with their trailer attempting a jackknife U-turn, but either way, I'd be willing to bet it never made it to the purchasing district. I think that happened in transit pending delivery.

Parts or scrap... I wouldn't buy it for anything else. Frame is bent. Engine and tranny are likely all it is good for, rest of it would be scrap. Highly doubtful it is repairable. Could be wrong, but I'm thinking it will likely go for less than $5k. Other than the mechanicals and hood, it's scrap, and that whole bus might scrap out at maybe $500. Maybe the windshields could be sold? And why, oh, WHY, do these dumb dickies at CoPart insist on putting their auction lot barcode stickers on something OTHER than the windshield? The headlight, guys? Seriously?...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Popcorn Sutton - Two Laps - Cheerio.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	36224

But if it truly is a 6.8L V10 gasser (Can't think of any manufacturer besides Ford), methinks I know just the member here that would want this... *sing-songy* Oh, CrazyKGB... *THIS* one has your name written all over it!
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
But if it truly is a 6.8L V10 gasser (Can't think of any manufacturer besides Ford)
It truly is. Actually I think roush might be the builder for these. I remember their name being discussed a few years ago when the gas/propane/cng engines were being reintroduced.

Reason being? The increased price of a diesel engine option + the emissions system cost and maintenance + difference between gas and diesel prices = Gas engines are now pretty competive with diesel counterparts on a per mile basis.

School systems work off of numbers, and diesel buses no longer make sense for a lot of them.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Diesel seems to keep getting worse (more expensive to operate, more fragile components, etc). I wonder how much of the trend towards gas is because gas engines are getting better and how much is because diesel options are getting worse...
Old 08-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Diesel seems to keep getting worse (more expensive to operate, more fragile components, etc). I wonder how much of the trend towards gas is because gas engines are getting better and how much is because diesel options are getting worse...
I suspect both are true.

I have talked to a couple of bus fleet managers who had replaced all of their E450 diesels with GM's with the 6.0 gas motor.. They really sang the praises of that GM gas motor.

Then we talked about their MaxxForce diesels........ No love to be found...

I am really attached to my diesel pickups. My current Dodge is an 2004.5. I don't want to let this one go. I wouldn't trade it for a brand new one......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Emission and aftertreatment systems have made operating a diesel a world-class, monumental pain in the a**... Thanks, Obama. Keep in mind, these systems literally do nothing, because they simply blow out a concentration of the trapped carbon in one shot at a later point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have talked to a couple of bus fleet managers who had replaced all of their E450 diesels with GM's with the 6.0 gas motor.. They really sang the praises of that GM gas motor.

Then we talked about their MaxxForce diesels........ No love to be found
They don't call 'em MaxiPad engines for nothing... Throwaway engine for the most part. Around 2013, they got a bit better, but the emission / control / aftertreatment systems kept them in the shop more than on the road from about '08-'12. I went through seven of these mechanical a**holes in as many months driving Class 8 ProStars for an OTR carrier. I finally told them after the seventh one broke down, if I had one more breakdown in the next 60 days, they were going to be short a driver.

I was assigned a practically new 2013 (about a year old) with only 45k on on the odometer. I quickly found out what was wrong with that picture, the dual-tank transfer system was plumbed incorrectly and causing the truck to run out of fuel. (It was I, not the maintenance department, or the dealership mechanics, that figured this out.) Not the engine's fault, but just goes to show the level of quality control at NaviStar as of late... Couldn't pay me enough to drive one of those POS's now.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE 9 Window
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29850
Ahh, yes... I have the 2004.5 Dodge also. You will have to pry that truck out of my cold dead hands....

Actually, I will just fix it forever. No rust here so, it's only parts.
PeteinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #10
Skoolie

Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE 9 Window
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29850
One mode thing on the 2004.5 Dodge.

I did hate the headlights. You can't seem to see with the OEM assembly.

I replaced them with these and it's now perfect. Super high-beams, good cut off low-beams.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FX65RBF

Kinda pricey though.
PeteinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteinSF View Post
One mode thing on the 2004.5 Dodge.

I did hate the headlights. You can't seem to see with the OEM assembly.

I replaced them with these and it's now perfect. Super high-beams, good cut off low-beams.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FX65RBF

Kinda pricey though.

Those look sweet!

I wonder if Santa might put a set under the Christmas tree......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: MBE 906
The company that is selling it has several built in hidden fees, they don’t allow I purchaser to pick the items for sale. They require you use one of there delivery services. If you wanted to inspect there is a $125 fee. The bus is salvage, someone determined that based on the damage. I am on same page as many others, thinking that it probably has a damaged frame rail. The repair would include removing the body from the frame, removing the engine and tans, the axles at least disconnecting the springs form the damaged side. I priced this repair for an IC bus my school district has and it was just under $40,000 on a bus that had the trade valve of $6k if someone could by it for a couple thousand and part it out they could do well.
schoolbuscraig is offline   Reply With Quote