Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 12:50 AM   #21
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Kinson

I came across this by accident and they do moves like you need. They are in Canada but googled them and they work and have international contacts.
Search: LTS TRANSIT and contact them about your predicament. Worth a try man,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
when i bought my Superior bus (just drove it from oregon to ohio). I first got some quotes to ship it across the country.. i simply googled, shipping bus.. and quotes were aroundthe $2.50 / mile range to ship it.. now thats a 35 foot bus and not 45.. but im guessing shipping rates would be similar.. not sure how far you have to go but its an option.. often things get much clearer and easier to deal with if your bus is in your own driveway
-Christopher

Thanks for the info, I will look into it again.

Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #22
Skoolie

Everyone is closed for the weekend, but I have some numbers to call and ask for more info about the flatbed possibilities. If I can't work a deal out with one of them, it would be $6500+ based on some online quoting. A scrapyard said they would pick the bus up for free and I could have them save some computer parts and seats that may net me $1500 or so. I would need to get assistance in shipping these parts. I also received a few offers of $1000. I am not sure if I can get those offers closer to $1500, but atleast the bus would stay out of the scrapyard. Decision time is approaching fast...
Old 08-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
CL ad is deleted....how'd it go?
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
CL ad is deleted....how'd it go?
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6672136977.html
I just keep deleting/relisting. The flatbed estimate was pretty low according to people I talked to on Monday. I found a few people interested in $1500 and one interested in $1000 now, $1000 later. I really don't want to be charged $85 a day, but these people are probably dragging their feet to make me sweat.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6672136977.html
I just keep deleting/relisting. The flatbed estimate was pretty low according to people I talked to on Monday. I found a few people interested in $1500 and one interested in $1000 now, $1000 later. I really don't want to be charged $85 a day, but these people are probably dragging their feet to make me sweat.
I was in a VERY similar situation long ago with a bus. I ended up deciding it was best to sell it to the first person to offer me ANYTHING.

Agian- best of luck to you Kinson!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I was in a VERY similar situation long ago with a bus. I ended up deciding it was best to sell it to the first person to offer me ANYTHING.

Hold me...
Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
$85 for what? It sitting out there per day?

The other prices are good if they pay any and all special permits needed.

John
Old 08-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:

Sorry- I read too quickly and thought you were being offered $1500 for the bus.

My bad!
Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #29
Skoolie

I had an offer of $1000, $1500, and an iffy offer of $1000 now and $1000 later. These would be for the whole bus and I just have to worry about them removing it before Monday when the $85 per day comes into play. The $1500 offer wants to go look at it Saturday or Sunday and will get back to me. This is probably cutting it way too close.

I could have a scrapyard come pick it up and store it at their secondary location. Once they receive the title, they move it to their primary location to tear it apart. They will give me nothing for it, but said they could save a few parts.(PLC, PLC racks, tranny computer, equalizer, some seats) I could probably get around $1500 for these items if nothing goes wrong. The scrappers mentioned they want to keep the engine operational to make some money off it. I'm not sure what else would be valuable to increase what I would receive for scrapping. I'd also need someone local to pick the items up and ship to the buyer(skoolie). Expecting nothing to go wrong with this process doesn't seem like a good idea with my luck.

I also received a scam offer for the $2500 as a gift for their dad. They are a marine engineer and wanted to use paypal. I looked into it a bit, and found the exact story as a common scam. It was word for word. Be advised.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Do you physically have the title in your hand?

I wouldn't be handing it over.
Go meet the guy who is coming to haul it back, is probably a good idea in your case.

John
Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Do you physically have the title in your hand?

I wouldn't be handing it over.
Go meet the guy who is coming to haul it back, is probably a good idea in your case.

John

These offers are from people interested in the whole bus. The flatbed online quotes were $6500-6800. From the list of companies I called on Monday, most said they could get nowhere near that low. I had one guy checking with some drivers but he never called me back. I have the title in hand though.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #32
Bus Geek

How much for the engine on a pallet?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
How much for the engine on a pallet?

I'd have to check if the scrappers would be willing to even part with it. I have no idea on pricing. From the phone call, the guy mentioned wanting to keep the engine in running condition to make their money. I could see what they had in mind for sure and get back to you.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
the scrappers want the engine, being pre emissions, still you should move it somewhere else and fix it, have it towed to a storage lot where you would be charged much less
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
the scrappers want the engine, being pre emissions, still you should move it somewhere else and fix it, have it towed to a storage lot where you would be charged much less

That's what I figured. I have a good bit into this already. Adding the transmission purchase, labor to R&R, flights to get back, and $1500 in fuel makes this no longer worth it for me. My bank account is empty and convincing family to lend me money for something that is not 100% would not be easy. I believe if I take the hit and find a deal in the future after I recover, I'd be better in the long run.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:02 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Coach and city busses are tough, I would do what I could to send it down the river, parts and labor are specialized for these at best. Most larger cities have their own fleet of mechanics to work on these so very few shops ever see them.

By the time you source a transmission and labor to install it you can go buy a school bus that runs right .. perhaps even a dealer bus for the $$ you’d have in a trans swap.

For any parts you are looking to harvest go to eBay and see if others are for sale and what they are getting bids for to determine if it’s worth your while to save the computers or other parts.

Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #37
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Coach and city busses are tough, I would do what I could to send it down the river, parts and labor are specialized for these at best. Most larger cities have their own fleet of mechanics to work on these so very few shops ever see them.

By the time you source a transmission and labor to install it you can go buy a school bus that runs right .. perhaps even a dealer bus for the $$ you’d have in a trans swap.

For any parts you are looking to harvest go to eBay and see if others are for sale and what they are getting bids for to determine if it’s worth your while to save the computers or other parts.

Christopher
This website and skoolies awoke the bus-nut in me. I liked the possibilities for how cheap they go for. I then found out about wider city buses and that they go for around the same. The wider floor-plans looked better for my full-timing needs. A 45 foot coach gave more room and a basement already built. I am pretty set on finding another 45 footer, but was expecting to have something semi-livable pretty soon. I guess after all this my mind is open to any shell that would get me on the road.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:07 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I totally get the idea of a coach / city bus.. perhaps a possibility is to put it on ice if you can find an RV or vehicle storage lot to have it towed.. I know here in ohio outdoor storage typically runs 50-80 bucks a Month... covered storage at 100 or close.. that way you could take your time to find a shop and a transmission to install it.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I was paying $35 a month for outside storage when I had 2 school buses
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #40
Skoolie

I found someone that seems pretty serious about the coach. He is going to see it tomorrow and probably towing it same day to another mechanic. He is low on funds and wants to work something out over time. He mentioned getting something notarized or getting a small loan in which they hold the title until paid. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Any advice is welcome to cover my butt.