Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 78 passenger
I'm planning to run a genny. Hate to listen to it run all day, but solar is too expensive and shore power isn't an option for me.

Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
Auctions look to be the cheapest way to go. Just factor in sales tax and the buyer's premium (fee the auction house charges) into the maximum bid, and stick with it.

Stuff with a price tag is probably going to cost you more, because the seller bought at auction and now wants to turn a profit.
Yup I get it so auction is the thing. The auction has the buses there to look into & check engine & all?
boysnberrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Auctions look to be the cheapest way to go. Just factor in sales tax and the buyer's premium (fee the auction house charges) into the maximum bid, and stick with it.

Stuff with a price tag is probably going to cost you more, because the seller bought at auction and now wants to turn a profit.
Well i will do the auctions when the time comes. Wanna be able to see & go inside & check out the engine etc
Old 07-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysnberrygirl View Post
Well i will do the auctions when the time comes. Wanna be able to see & go inside & check out the engine etc
Yup, that's the downside of online auctions if you're not in the area. Ask lots of questions, try to get more pics. I just talked to a lady in a school district several hundred miles away from me, and she'll put me in touch with the mechanics on Monday. I can't get out there, but hopefully I can get an honest assessment from a mechanic who worked on the buses I'm interested in. After that I guess it'll be a leap of faith if the price stays low enough...
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yup, that's the downside of online auctions if you're not in the area. Ask lots of questions, try to get more pics. I just talked to a lady in a school district several hundred miles away from me, and she'll put me in touch with the mechanics on Monday. I can't get out there, but hopefully I can get an honest assessment from a mechanic who worked on the buses I'm interested in. After that I guess it'll be a leap of faith if the price stays low enough...
Used schoolbuses have sales but have to find out if they are in a section in their lot where buses are parked & not for sale.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Last month I bought a bus out of California. Even with a full service, replacing several relays and other assorted parts, fuel, lodging, AND food (including doing a drum-and-shoe rear brake replacement job on my friend's '92 Explorer - we did it, er, I did it by myself) the whole tab ran me under $3500. Got it to Texas and they want $400 for the plates (MORONS). Lesson: good deals may be worth the trip, just be aware of government red tape.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Oh ok thanks a bunch. On the first step of buying mini school bus-shuttle bus. Well saving $$ and finding where they're sold reasonable. Electricity would be 9-volt/12 volt battery huh? Can't do generator in city.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Oh ok thanks a bunch. On the first step of buying mini school bus-shuttle bus. Well saving $$ and finding where they're sold reasonable. Electricity would be 9-volt/12 volt battery huh? Can't do generator in city.
How about one of these?
I'd be tempted myself but I have zero interest in driving a bus down from Jersey!
http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...32&acctid=3147
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How about one of these?
I'd be tempted myself but I have zero interest in driving a bus down from Jersey!
1999 Ford Collins E-450 School Bus - GovDeals.com
The handicap lift is a MAJOR asset. Think about it.... no lifting heavy construction materials into the vehicle. We did that with our first bus that had one. The 'frig was a breeze because of the lift. Just push a button and PRESTO the heavy lifting was DONE!! Wo HOO!! Just my two cents....
Old 07-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

I know the "bushouse" I call it is a gr8 idea. I am in this crazy big city with tremendous rent $3500/mo studio. Crazy times.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #31
Bus Geek

With the advent of the wheel and manned flight, why would anyone stick around somewhere so expensive?
I could almost live for a year on $3500!
Old 07-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Ya betta believe it! These are the "market rate" blokes as my British friends say. The city has gitten to the point there isn't anything a lot cheaper & in a good neighborhood. Some rents are more like 1 bedrm is fr $3500-4200/mo. I chose to think out of the box. Tiny house is good but where to put it? Bushouse is logical.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #33
Bus Geek

if you really need to blend in and stay mobile one of these may be a good option-

Stealth Camper | Tiny House Living

Old 07-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Ah nice. Thx. The 1st pic is nice. The mini schoolbus or shuttle bus is fine too. The mini or shuttle I will take out seats leaving a few for fam/friends...wood flooring, sofa bed etc. Taking out seats, auto shop
Old 07-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #35
Bus Geek

I'd keep it as stealth and sneaky as possible...

I live with a Brit myself... Although Scots don't often call themselves British.

We are looking for a plain-jane cargo van. Preferably a Ford or Dodge. We want to use it for "stealth camping" on the weekends.
And for hauling tools and supplies around during the week.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
I know the "bushouse" I call it is a gr8 idea. I am in this crazy big city with tremendous rent $3500/mo studio. Crazy times.

and I'm bitching about my $900 a month rent??? You're the poster child for my signature below
Old 07-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

I tell ya the rent here NYC is a catastrophe. And affordable housing is a scam or should I say a sham, lol. Too many in need for too little amount of apartments. After waiting 5 yrs thinking out of the box is gr8.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #38
Bus Geek

I doubt the neighbors in any sort of "affordable housing" are the most savory.
I'd rather live in a van myself, money aside.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I doubt the neighbors in any sort of "affordable housing" are the most savory.
I'd rather live in a van myself, money aside.
If it's anything like Boulder, it's not that your neighbors are "unsavory", it's that the rent on "affordable housing" is still higher than we can afford!

(Just the other day, I saw a couple of over-$400k houses for sale that are officially designated affordable housing. That actually is cheap for Boulder, but way the hell more than we can afford!)
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Yep. Crazy. I'm not into that experience rent crap cos not making that kinda money. Had issues long ago, fell behind on rent & had to move. Not a nice feeling. Became roomies with another lady. She met guy online he came. Tired of a lot of personalities.