Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6 litre Gas vortek
Nissan Leaf module inquiry

Hello From Tucson AZ!! I purchased a 2009 chevy express 3500 cutaway, gas and had it converted, Currently Im parked and plugged into a 50amp power source. I have been doing some research and came across a video on youtube where the guy powered his bus with nissan leaf modules. I want to do this also--i just dont know anything about it. I have a 12000btu pioneers mini split, a aviant fridge freezer, combo wash dryer, a 6 gal water heater and 12v lights that are running off a single battery and inverter.

Suggestions? anyone have any experience with the nissan leaf modules that can be shared??

I appreciate ANY responses! Thank you!

PassNthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Definitely look up Juan and Michelle's YouTube channel, Beginning From This Morning, and their blog/website with the same name Beginning from this Morning | Thoughts, stories and ideas.

They have a pretty thorough series on the Leaf pack they used.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassNthru View Post
I have been doing some research and came across a video on youtube where the guy powered his bus with nissan leaf modules. I want to do this also--i just dont know anything about it.
I'm someone who went the upcycled EV battery route (Tesla). I'd like to ask... if you don't know anything about it, why you want to use leaf modules? What kind of energy storage capabilities are you hoping for?
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
I have to agree here, you need to learn a lot first. Lithium batteries are dangerous when handled incorrectly.

If you were thinking of running a water heater, a 12000 BTU A/C, and a washer/dryer off batteries: that is not going to happen, for two reasons:

1. where are you going to get that power from?
2. where are you going to store the power?

Let's start with 1.
- Let's assume you are heating 15 Gallons from 50F to 130F daily. With the formula Q=mCt you get about 3kWh.
- Let's assume that your A/C draws 1kW and runs 8h effectively per day, i.e. 8kWh
- Let's assume your dryer uses 4kWh per cycle and you use it every other day, i.e. 2kWh
- Let's assume you use 2kWh for all other stuff

That's 15kWh. Say you need to generate/store 20kWh. That requires 4-5kW of solar power IN A SUNNY CLIMATE. On a Chevy Express you can, realistically fit, maybe 500W. I had 400W on my Nissan NV2500 and it was PACKED. So Solar is out.

Charge it from the wall? Ok, You'll need maybe 3 hours at a high powered dryer plug per day on the road.

2. Say you want to boondock for three days at a time. You'll need 50-60kWh of storage capacity. Basically, you need an entire Tesla model S battery pack.

So: the water heater, the dryer and the A/C are never going to run on batteries. So, just get a Harbor freight generator!
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote