Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #4941
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
Found this Short Bus for sale in Southern California

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/c...024767769.html

$11,000

2003 Thomas 20 Passenger
Cat 3126
108,000k miles
"Allison 4 Speed"
Air brakes front and rear
Thats a nice bus.

I'd take 11k for my lifted 99 with less than 100k.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #4942
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Realistically a $3k bus, at best
I was thinking $5K, but it’s definitely overpriced.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #4943
Bus Geek

Quote:
Its a commercial bus with low miles. Never was yellow. Gotta be worth more than the swill.
If I had that bus I'd be asking more honestly. Not that I'd ever pay close to that either, but someone WILL.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #4944
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
A/c'd, high headroom.. more than likely is not an AT545, would be a 2000 series that someone thinks the 'D-4-2-1' means 4 speed... probably rust free, 5K seems reasonable.. 11k? maybe if it were sitting at a certain bus lot near Tampa....
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #4945
Bus Geek

I think BGA would have it at 15-20.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #4946
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I could see that bus going for 8k in the Rust Belt states.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #4947
Bus Nut

Quote:

I agree its overpriced at $11k but expecting a low mileage conventional true short bus in that condition, with the features it has in a low/no rust region to go for $3k seems unrealistic.

Conventional shorties under ~22-23ft seem to be in short supply and from what I've seen tend to command a bit more of a price premium. Still no way I would consider it for 11k though. I would consider it for about half that price though, and I consider myself pretty cheap .
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:49 AM   #4948
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I could see that bus going for 8k in the Rust Belt states.
I've actually, literally seen them sell for well over ten. Hell I can move a yellow shorty with 444/545 and some rust for around five.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #4949
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I stand by my figure. When I can purchase 05 buses with 70k on them with absolutely no issues, for $1500, that bus I would not give more than $3K. That's me, stop contradicting me. It might be worth $11k to someone, not to me.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #4950
Bus Geek

Quote:
I stand by my figure. When I can purchase 05 buses with 70k on them with absolutely no issues, for $1500, that bus I would not give more than $3K. That's me, stop contradicting me. It might be worth $11k to someone, not to me.
No one's "contradicting" you we've just having a discussion of bus prices.
You're comparing wholesale/auction prices to retail/resale prices.
Also comparing full length FE buses to shorties. Shorties are MUCH less common. Even less common are commercially purchased shorties on full size chassis.
Me- I'd pay up to about 4 for it personally. But I'd not sell that one for a quick buck, I'd be after every dollar I could get.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:47 PM   #4951
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No one's "contradicting" you we've just having a discussion of bus prices.
You're comparing wholesale/auction prices to retail/resale prices.
Also comparing full length FE buses to shorties. Shorties are MUCH less common.

I certainly wasn't intending to "contradict" before (everyone is entitled to have and express their own opinion about what something is worth, its subjective and personal), but I am certainly HIGHLY skeptical that he "can purchase [comparable (in length and condition)] 05 buses with 70k on them with absolutely no issues, for $1500"

I haven't been looking too long, but I've been searching for a short bus about that length (i'd guestimate that is about 5-6 window) for a few months now and I've only come across a handful being sold at any price point and none in that condition. I wouldn't pay anywhere near 11k for it but I'm also not surprised someone is asking that. The relative scarcity of conventional shorties compared with both full size skoolies and cutaways skews supply and demand in favor of the seller. And the cost of a full size at auction is really pretty irrelevant when talking about a shorty its an apples to oranges comparison.

Edit: and if someone does come across a 5-6 window low mileage, good condition, rust free shorty at a price point anywhere near $1500 please let me know because i'm in the market and am having a hard time finding anything that meets my needs.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:11 AM   #4952
Bus Geek

Quote:
I certainly wasn't intending to "contradict" before (everyone is entitled to have and express their own opinion about what something is worth, its subjective and personal), but I am certainly HIGHLY skeptical that he "can purchase [comparable (in length and condition)] 05 buses with 70k on them with absolutely no issues, for $1500"

I haven't been looking too long, but I've been searching for a short bus about that length (i'd guestimate that is about 5-6 window) for a few months now and I've only come across a handful being sold at any price point and none in that condition. I wouldn't pay anywhere near 11k for it but I'm also not surprised someone is asking that. The relative scarcity of conventional shorties compared with both full size skoolies and cutaways skews supply and demand in favor of the seller. And the cost of a full size at auction is really pretty irrelevant when talking about a shorty its an apples to oranges comparison.

Edit: and if someone does come across a 5-6 window low mileage, good condition, rust free shorty at a price point anywhere near $1500 please let me know because i'm in the market and am having a hard time finding anything that meets my needs.
I only paid $1600 for this-
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/RuR6QCe.jpg[/IMG]
I wouldn't take less than 8 or 9 grand for it.

05 full size buses aren't super highly sought after and 1500 is about what Id expect to pay for one.

you gotta get with these auctions for the good deals man.

I could totally make BANK selling buses if I had somewhere to keep them and money to buy them with!

I've had 5 buses, all running/driving. Paid $2000 or less for all except one 6 window shorty with DT466E and allison 2500 I paid almost $4k for. I don't have 10 grand in this hobby and I've been doing it on and off since 2002.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:03 AM   #4953
Bus Nut

Damn that's a great deal if its in good condition and not too rusty. Can I ask where you found it? I've been looking for the same size bus and haven't found anything for under $4500. That includes checking major auction sites every few days. Part of what makes me search hard is i'm pretty set on staying under 22 feet which means a 5 window is the biggest I will go. I've come across a handful of decent 6-7 windows but haven't come across many reasonably priced 5 windows. I will admit I am being a little selective in that I would greatly prefer a bus without a wheelchair door, but even setting that aside in my 2 months of searching i've only come across maybe a half dozen 5 window conventional for sale at auction or privately and most of those were being sold privately. Maybe i'm just being way too impatient and need to wait for the right deal to come along.

This rusty ass 5 window from NY is going for 5k

There is another 5 window i'm looking at that does meet my needs located in a low rust state, its pretty basic and getting up towards 300k miles going for $4500 firm. I don't think its a good deal for a DT360/AT545 combo with that kind of mileage but I am still considering it as I cant find anything else.

Let me know if you come across any decent deals on a 5 window conventional, im fairly flexible on specs.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:08 AM   #4954
Bus Geek

Quote:
Damn that's a great deal if its in good condition and not too rusty. Can I ask where you found it? I've been looking for the same size bus and haven't found anything for under $4500. That includes checking major auction sites every few days. Part of what makes me search hard is i'm pretty set on staying under 22 feet which means a 5 window is the biggest I will go. I've come across a handful of decent 6-7 windows but haven't come across many reasonably priced 5 windows. I will admit I am being a little selective in that I would greatly prefer a bus without a wheelchair door, but even setting that aside in my 2 months of searching i've only come across maybe a half dozen 5 window conventional for sale at auction or privately and most of those were being sold privately. Maybe i'm just being way too impatient and need to wait for the right deal to come along.

This rusty ass 5 window from NY is going for 5k

There is another 5 window i'm looking at that does meet my needs located in a low rust state, its pretty basic and getting up towards 300k miles going for $4500 firm. I don't think its a good deal for a DT360/AT545 combo with that kind of mileage but I am still considering it as I cant find anything else.

Let me know if you come across any decent deals on a 5 window conventional, im fairly flexible on specs.
I watch Public Surplus. Saw 3 or 4 of these up in Douglasville Ga so I bid just for sport. Got it for $1625. It doesn't even have 100k miles on it. 3900 hours. Rust free.

I got a nice light rust Aurora CO 6 window with 444E and 200k for $1700 a few years ago. That was on GovDeals.

My 92 Ward Senator was a really nice bus. That was $2100 in Kentucky on GovDeals.

My first bus was free. Was an 85 Thomas gasser. ran and had low miles but was a terrible bus lol.

The most I paid was $4000 with fees for a 2004 CE300 6 window in Texas.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #4955
Bus Nut

Sounds like I just need to be more patient and wait for the right bus to come along. GovDeals, Public Surplus, and Craigslist are the sites I check most often, just Haven't had much luck so far.

One thing I've noticed is that the bigger used school bus dealers almost always have conventional shorties in stock, but for relatively high prices, much more than I'm willing to pay.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #4956
Bus Geek

Quote:

Read it and weep. Sold it for $4k 5 days later

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/lo...-c7-29043.html
Old 11-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #4957
Bus Geek

Quote:
Sounds like I just need to be more patient and wait for the right bus to come along. GovDeals, Public Surplus, and Craigslist are the sites I check most often, just Haven't had much luck so far.

One thing I've noticed is that the bigger used school bus dealers almost always have conventional shorties in stock, but for relatively high prices, much more than I'm willing to pay.
Most, not all, dealers buy the same buses from auction that we do. Difference is they slap them right onto the lot and double or triple the price. Some do minimal stuff, but upcharge for that. If you deal with GovDeals or Public surplus, the contact people will bbe the actual school system and will in most cases ne honest about the condition and even shows records. CL is a crap shoot that you really need to check it out before buying. I ot lucky and found a great bus for $3500 on CL in Butte, Mt.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #4958
Bus Geek

Quote:

I always find my shorty deals from Nov-Feb. Once in a while july.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #4959
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogie View Post
https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/r...007178337.html

Very little detail but not too far away from me.. should I check it out? What questions/concerns should I address?

Thanks for your advice!

id be interested in hearing what this thing looks like inside and out... also what engine is in it. Looking for a international 3400 or something of that size, tc1000 is in the market too.. just scrounging the sites like every other dreamer...
Crlefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #4960
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
https://pullman.craigslist.org/cto/d...024724679.html
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote