Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #4961
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
I certainly wasn't intending to "contradict" before (everyone is entitled to have and express their own opinion about what something is worth, its subjective and personal), but I am certainly HIGHLY skeptical that he "can purchase [comparable (in length and condition)] 05 buses with 70k on them with absolutely no issues, for $1500"

I haven't been looking too long, but I've been searching for a short bus about that length (i'd guestimate that is about 5-6 window) for a few months now and I've only come across a handful being sold at any price point and none in that condition. I wouldn't pay anywhere near 11k for it but I'm also not surprised someone is asking that. The relative scarcity of conventional shorties compared with both full size skoolies and cutaways skews supply and demand in favor of the seller. And the cost of a full size at auction is really pretty irrelevant when talking about a shorty its an apples to oranges comparison.

Edit: and if someone does come across a 5-6 window low mileage, good condition, rust free shorty at a price point anywhere near $1500 please let me know because i'm in the market and am having a hard time finding anything that meets my needs.
To do that I think I would start checking junkyards and shops etc with a bus sitting around.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #4962
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Another Trolley (2005)

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...ource=sendgrid

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...m_medium=email
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #4963
Bus Geek

Value This One

What would be top dollar for this bus. Looks like it may not reach reserve. If it doesn't the seller will take reserve price from me outside the auction. It's 40 miles from me.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...81&acctid=1157
Not sure what trans, assuming it's a 545. Shift handle says it could be something different.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #4964
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I looked up the trans, it's an AT545. Also, the engine is a 190hp rated 5.9 which is about as low as they went. if I"m reading the model right it's a 34 ft bus. No air conditioning, no storage, not even an air horn. I don't see any particular feature that would make it more valuable than any other TC2000.

Miles are fairly low. If it isn't rusty, runs good, and the tires are in good shape I personally would see it as a $1200 bus, give or take. If you list it on facebook marketplace you could probably get 2500 for it after a once-over and a bath without too much work. i'd list it for 3500 and give the buyer room to talk me down.

Edit: Headroom at Bluebird is listed at 74 inches, not the 77 inches claimed int he listing.

Edit2: axle ratio also not disclosed so that's another variable to consider
Old 11-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #4965
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I looked up the trans, it's an AT545. Also, the engine is a 190hp rated 5.9 which is about as low as they went. if I"m reading the model right it's a 34 ft bus. No air conditioning, no storage, not even an air horn. I don't see any particular feature that would make it more valuable than any other TC2000.

Miles are fairly low. If it isn't rusty, runs good, and the tires are in good shape I personally would see it as a $1200 bus, give or take. If you list it on facebook marketplace you could probably get 2500 for it after a once-over and a bath without too much work. i'd list it for 3500 and give the buyer room to talk me down.

Edit: Headroom at Bluebird is listed at 74 inches, not the 77 inches claimed int he listing.

Edit2: axle ratio also not disclosed so that's another variable to consider
For $1500 I think I could flip it for a few bucks. I'll check it out tomorrow.
I looked at the transition between the drivers and passemger windows and also determined it was not a high roof.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #4966
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
For $1500 I think I could flip it for a few bucks. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I looked at the transition between the drivers and passemger windows and also determined it was not a high roof.
It says it's gone now. I was wondering if it was one of the buses in McIntyre. I went up and looked at them whenever at 3000 minimum bid. They finally lowered the starting prices but I don't know what the reserve is.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #4967
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
It says it's gone now. I was wondering if it was one of the buses in McIntyre. I went up and looked at them whenever at 3000 minimum bid. They finally lowered the starting prices but I don't know what the reserve is.
The auction ended and no one bid after the $1100 bid. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. It is not in McIntyre, but Cleveland.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:07 AM   #4968
Bus Nut

Found this pretty little gal while browsing craigslist

2000 International Thomas 5 Window, T444E
Looks like they did a nice job with the conversion, and has some nice features
Out of my price range (and in my opinion a little overpriced) at 24K
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:46 AM   #4969
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

That bus is overpriced by about ten grand.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:53 AM   #4970
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:

Definitely overpriced from what I see. It is higher mileage, has no heat source and the only AC source is a portable unit. Looks like good craftsmanship but missing some important pieces of the puzzle to make it more valuable.
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:55 AM   #4971
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That bus is overpriced by about ten grand.

Maybe. Probably. But I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they get most of their asking price, and I don't blame them for trying.

If you look at just the specs, its not a good deal, and not that impressive of a bus. And there are certainly things I would've done differently if I were converting it myself. But I think they did a pretty good job, and made it look quite nice, and have some nice and features and comforts, and I'm sure if they did the work themselves they put a lot of hours into it and if they didn't do the work themselves they paid a pretty penny so I don't blame them for trying to get that price.

I also think the aesthetic they chose is trendy at the moment (#vanlife #skoolielife) and there are a lot of people willing to shell out a lot of money for a perceived lifestyle with no interest in the underlying vehicle or systems or building it themselves. Look at sprinters and you see people shelling out 30-40-60-80k for pretty basic conversions, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two people from that crowd see 24k as a good deal.

But personally I feel about the same you do, 10-15k seems much more reasonable.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #4972
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post
Definitely overpriced from what I see. It is higher mileage, has no heat source and the only AC source is a portable unit. Looks like good craftsmanship but missing some important pieces of the puzzle to make it more valuable.
Low headroom too.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:02 AM   #4973
Bus Geek

Quote:
Maybe. Probably. But I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they get most of their asking price, and I don't blame them for trying.

If you look at just the specs, its not a good deal, and not that impressive of a bus. And there are certainly things I would've done differently if I were converting it myself. But I think they did a pretty good job, and made it look quite nice, and have some nice and features and comforts, and I'm sure if they did the work themselves they put a lot of hours into it and if they didn't do the work themselves they paid a pretty penny so I don't blame them for trying to get that price.

I also think the aesthetic they chose is trendy at the moment (#vanlife #skoolielife) and there are a lot of people willing to shell out a lot of money for a perceived lifestyle with no interest in the underlying vehicle or systems or building it themselves. Look at sprinters and you see people shelling out 30-40-60-80k for pretty basic conversions, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two people from that crowd see 24k as a good deal.

But personally I feel about the same you do, 10-15k seems much more reasonable.

Its been for sale for a while.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #4974
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
To do that I think I would start checking junkyards and shops etc with a bus sitting around.

I never thought to check Junkyards for a working bus, but its probably something I should look into.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #4975
Bus Geek

Judging from the look of the ceiling and the factory lights, I'd bet they didn't pull it and insulate. I love how when someone tries to sell their stuf it becomes the most desired bus on the planet. I really haven't seen anyone else say the 444 was the cats meow. No insulation, 40* temps and only a blanket was needed, with the windows open. Sure, I believe that.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #4976
Bus Geek

Quote:
I never thought to check Junkyards for a working bus, but its probably something I should look into.
I wouldn't bet on getting a workable bus from a junkyard. A vehicle salvage yard, maybe, not a junk yard.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #4977
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I wouldn't bet on getting a workable bus from a junkyard. A vehicle salvage yard, maybe, not a junk yard.
I got my tc2000 from a metal scrap yard.
Generally speaking though I agree.Click image for larger version

Name:	583559388.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	39561
Old 11-26-2019, 11:49 PM   #4978
Bus Nut

Quote:
Judging from the look of the ceiling and the factory lights, I'd bet they didn't pull it and insulate.

They didn't re-insulate anything other than the floor according to their ad, but than many people here choose not to re-insulate either.

Quote:
I really haven't seen anyone else say the T444E was the cats meow.

Yeah, it made me laugh/roll my eyes when I read "this [the 7.3L powerstroke] is arguably the best engine ever put into a bus." I have a mostly high opinion of the 7.3 powerstroke and think its a great engine in a passenger truck and a good engine for a shortbus, but I've never heard anyone claim its close to "the best engine ever put into a bus." Maybe the best diesel in a Ford light truck, but that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Quote:
No insulation, 40* temps and only a blanket was needed, with the windows open. Sure, I believe that.

eh, its all relative. I lived and travelled in an uninsulated van with a soft side pop top for two years in temps from the high teens to about 110. I have many bad memories of the heat, but don't remember being too cold in bed with the body heat of two people warm hats and warm socks. I'm not saying it was pleasant, and without insulation it cooled down fast after the sun set, but I don't remember being uncomfortable more than a few times. Mornings on the other hand could be brutal and uncomfortable without heat or hot water and doing the dishes with 20 some degree dishwater in 20 some degree whether was hell.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:25 PM   #4979

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/ct...023434493.html

thougts?
Ladybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #4980

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/ct...023434493.html

Thoughts on this?
Ladybird is offline   Reply With Quote