Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #1081
Skoolie

Hey guys, I just called and those three all have cat Motors and Allison Transmissions but they don't know which ones. Do you guys have any ideas what they could be given the year etc? I'm going to go check them out here in about an hour

Wutm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #1082
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutm8 View Post
Hey guys, I just called and those three all have cat Motors and Allison Transmissions but they don't know which ones. Do you guys have any ideas what they could be given the year etc? I'm going to go check them out here in about an hour
They're 3126's if they're Cats in 2002-era buses.
Allison is a given. Which model of Allison is the key question.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #1083
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Wait, are we still talking about the three buses that milkmania posted the links to a few posts up, or did I miss something?

I guarantee you those three don't have Cat engines. They're all 24 valve 8.3 Cummins. And I just ran the transmission numbers through the Allison website and the first two are MT643s and the last one is an MD3060.

The Allison website us a useful tool since most sellers are too lazy, apathetic, or both, to actually find the information that a knowledgeable buyer is seeking.

My Transmission
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #1084
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Wait, are we still talking about the three buses that milkmania posted the links to a few posts up, or did I miss something?

I guarantee you those three don't have Cat engines. They're all 24 valve 8.3 Cummins. And I just ran the transmission numbers through the Allison website and the first two are MT643s and the last one is an MD3060.

The Allison website us a useful tool since most sellers are too lazy, apathetic, or both, to actually find the information that a knowledgeable buyer is seeking.

My Transmission

I'm hoping you are right. You sound a lot more certain than the mechanic I talked to on the phone. He said those three head cat Motors in it and that is the opposite of what I have heard from everyone else. Heading down there in just a few so I'll try and take some pictures. Really appreciate you clearing that up
Wutm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #1085
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm hoping you are right. You sound a lot more certain than the mechanic I talked to on the phone. He said those three head cat Motors in it and that is the opposite of what I have heard from everyone else. Heading down there in just a few so I'll try and take some pictures. Really appreciate you clearing that up

Here's a screen shot of a picture from one of the listings...

Notice to the right of the two belt pulleys, there's an emblem that says ISC with a Cummins logo next to it. ISC is the model name for the electronic 8.3 liter.

That cover with bolts around its perimeter that has that emblem on it, above that is a wiring harness that's zip-tied in place. When you're looking at it in person, pull that harness back and there should be a data plate under it. You might have to wipe it off in order to read it, but it'll have a bunch of useful info on it. Engine model, HP rating, Critical Parts List (CPL) which is necessary for ordering replacement parts if ever needed, engine serial number, etc.

Good luck. Hope it looks as good in person as it does in the pics!

edit: Also wanted to add that the bus with the 5.38 rear end and MD3060 will do about 65 mph at 2,200 rpm, and the two with the MT643s and 4.78 rears will run about 57 mph at the same rpm. Don't know if that's anything that might affect your purchase decision or not, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #1086
Bus Geek

Well- not to mention the lack of Cat-yellow paint on the engines.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #1087
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Well- not to mention the lack of Cat-yellow paint on the engines.
Yeah, but all that tells you is what they aren't. Not what they are.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #1088
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Indianapolis area

Anyone know anything about Macalister bus around indie? They have a large list of used inventory at what looks like decent pricing.
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #1089
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Anyone know anything about Macalister bus around indie? They have a large list of used inventory at what looks like decent pricing.
There's been a decent amount of discussion about them on here. General consensus is that they're pretty good to work with and are willing to negotiate quite a bit on their already reasonable pricing. Probably because they're a Blue Bird dealer, so the used buses they're selling are trade-ins from school systems buying new buses and they consequently don't have a whole lot of money tied up in them.

Here're links to some of the posts about them on the forum. skoolie.net MacAllister posts
Old 01-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #1090
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
There's been a decent amount of discussion about them on here. General consensus is that they're pretty good to work with and are willing to negotiate quite a bit on their already reasonable pricing. Probably because they're a Blue Bird dealer, so the used buses they're selling are trade-ins from school systems buying new buses and they consequently don't have a whole lot of money tied up in them.

Here're links to some of the posts about them on the forum. skoolie.net MacAllister posts
Thanks! I hadn't seen that thread. That's will be my next read. They are in the lead for where I may buy a bus. I am seriously leaning toward a rear engine... Most have the full storage underneath, would save some time with some of the systems.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #1091
Bus Geek

I wouldn't say most of em do. SOME of them do.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #1092
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I wouldn't say most of em do. SOME of them do.
I will amend my statement then lol
Some do, and if I go that route those are the ones I was looking for.
Btw, I was just starting your build thread... No spoilers though I am only up to the cieling panels!
Old 01-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #1093
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
As of now one person has the high bid on three out of four of the Arizona busses. I expect the bidding to go a bunch higher in the last hours.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #1094
Skoolie

Couple of busses just posted to GovDeals that I would like to get some feedback about

2009 Blue Bird All American/All Canadian 1BABNBXA29F261297

2009 Blue Bird All American/All Canadian 1BABNBXA49F261298

Both are listed with the following info about the engine. They appear to be 8.3L Cummins, but the issue noted is a bit criptic for my knowledge level. Can someone explain what they mean? It is interesting that they have sequential plant production numbers and both seem to have the same issue.

"Cummins ISC260 engine and World transmission. Poor motor and power train. Regeneration problems."

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #1095
Bus Geek

Quote:
I will amend my statement then lol
Some do, and if I go that route those are the ones I was looking for.
Btw, I was just starting your build thread... No spoilers though I am only up to the cieling panels!
Bout as far as we've gotten...

Old 01-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #1096
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmefa View Post
Couple of busses just posted to GovDeals that I would like to get some feedback about

Both are listed with the following info about the engine. They appear to be 8.3L Cummins, but the issue noted is a bit criptic for my knowledge level. Can someone explain what they mean? It is interesting that they have sequential plant production numbers and both seem to have the same issue.

"Cummins ISC260 engine and World transmission. Poor motor and power train. Regeneration problems."

Thanks!
Both are so new you'll have a lot of competition in the bidding. Expect em to sell for ten g or more.
They're new enough to be expensive and unnecessarily complicated to fix as well. "poor motor and powertrain" would be an apt description of the average bus in FL.
Seriously folks, our buses are crap down here.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #1097
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmefa View Post

Thanks!
DPF: The Time Bomb Under Your Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine

Probably DPF issues.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #1098
Bus Nut

I didn't read the link posted above. Is most likely covered in there, but I'll give the quick summary.

"Regeneration" is the process by which newer diesel emission setups clean their filtration systems. Parts to repair those systems correctly are stupid expensive. If you aren't exactly concerned with being a law-abiding citizen, there are ways around it. But if you don't already know how to cheat the system or know somebody who does, good luck finding somebody to do it for you. No professional mechanic is going to stick their neck out there for somebody they don't know well.

Additionally, as was already mentioned, 2009 is new enough to still be serviceable for school systems. It'll bring more money than any of us want to spend on it.

edit: Oh, and the sequential serial numbers probably don't have anything to do with the problems except for the correlation between the fact that the two buses rolled off the line back to back because they were made for the same customer. Chances are the problems have to do with the fact the buses were being operated and maintained by the same people.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #1099
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks! I hadn't seen that thread. That's will be my next read. They are in the lead for where I may buy a bus. I am seriously leaning toward a rear engine... Most have the full storage underneath, would save some time with some of the systems.
While under-body storage can be nice, make sure not to get one with too much storage under it. You'll still want enough free space under there to hang tanks, route plumbing, etc.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #1100
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
So the fix for these buses will be cleaning or replacing the DPF? Or does having issues with regen mean larger issues with the engine?

Do you happen to know any info about DPF specs for this year of bus? I am guessing I could call BlueBird with the VIN and they could tell me?

Thanks for the info! Did not know about this part of the bus mechanics - something to be aware of when we purchase the bus!