Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2021, 10:51 PM   #5921
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
PS that mileage is really low for bus's that age, there would have to be a really good verifiable explanation for that low mileage or I would be suspect of it.

Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:58 PM   #5922
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerReZeta View Post
Any advise before going?
Well, first, what Oscar1 said is right on. Where in AZ are you headed? If you need tires, there's a place in Phoenix from whom we have had good experience buying recaps. They're good, solid tires which can be used on the rear of a bus...and they're $50 each...plus you'll have to get them mounted. Used, but serviceable, virgin tires for the fronts are $150.

My advice to you is to be wary. I see your enthusiasm. You've posted in multiple threads, looking for a bus. And I watched, in real time, your bidding. That, by the way, is not a complaint - it's an observation that you're really passionate and excited. That's cool to see and very contagious. But, don't let your excitement guide you into making a decision...use your skeptical brain! One of these may be the right bus for you. But then again...

A quick question. From where are you traveling and did you buy a one-way ticket or a round-trip fare? In other words, what's your commitment here and can you walk away if need be?
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:01 PM   #5923
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
PS that mileage is really low for bus's that age, there would have to be a really good verifiable explanation for that low mileage or I would be suspect of it.
Exactly! I just saw an ad on FB Marketplace and they claimed 19k miles, with a photo of the odometer. I would bet money that had turned over... 19k was not believable.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:08 PM   #5924
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
No mire los neumáticos como un porcentaje de la banda de rodamiento restante, aprenda a leer los códigos de fecha. Los vendedores siempre le dirán lo bien que se ven los neumáticos, pero esa no es toda la historia. En Arizona, esos neumáticos podrían secarse y agrietarse gravemente. Si una llanta tuviera el 90% de la banda de rodadura pero tuviera más de 7-8 años, todavía se agotó el tiempo
y no viajaría más allá de lo que un local se mueve con ella y ciertamente no una carrera de larga distancia para llevarla a casa. Las llantas son un gran gasto y un vendedor no se va a poner llantas para hacer una venta a menos que tenga que hacerlo.
Buena suerte con la búsqueda
Thank you for posting Oscar!! The seller send me some photos and they did not look dry tires, actually they look in good shape but you know, is better to go and see them by yourself ^^ and the bus 72k of miles in it is the 2003 one, but yes is a bit extrange also for me xDD

Quote:
Bueno, primero, lo que dijo Oscar1 es correcto. ¿A dónde se dirige en AZ? Si necesita neumáticos, hay un lugar en Phoenix en el que hemos tenido una buena experiencia comprando resúmenes. Son neumáticos buenos y sólidos que se pueden usar en la parte trasera de un autobús ... y cuestan $ 50 cada uno ... además, tendrás que montarlos. Los neumáticos vírgenes usados, pero útiles, para los frentes cuestan $ 150.

Mi consejo para ti es que tengas cuidado. Veo tu entusiasmo. Ha publicado en varios hilos, buscando un autobús. Y vi, en tiempo real, sus ofertas. Eso, por cierto, no es una queja, es una observación de que estás realmente apasionado y emocionado. Eso es genial de ver y muy contagioso. Pero no dejes que tu entusiasmo te lleve a tomar una decisión ... ¡usa tu cerebro escéptico! Uno de estos puede ser el autobús adecuado para usted.

Una pregunta rápida. ¿Desde dónde viaja y compró un boleto de ida o de ida y vuelta? En otras palabras, ¿cuál es su compromiso aquí y puede alejarse si es necesario?
Ross I´m happy you answered my post, you´ve been helping me since the first day I get into this forum and teach me a lot just posting.

I´m going to Salome.AZ from Kanab UT and will do the trip by car that actually is going to be part of the trade so if i see something strage or something i don´t like will go back to kanab driving my 03 elantra.

Thank you so muh guys for your advices, will inform you whatever happends tomorrow but i think is going to be the good one ^^

JerReZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #5925
Mini-Skoolie

Hello all. Found this fully converted skoolie in CA- thoughts or concerns? Going to take a look at it this weekend so I'd appreciate input on what to look out for.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...39587054005457

1995 International Genesis 30'
DT466 190hp Engine, 168k miles (this seems low)
Unknown Allison transmission, trying to find this out
18" raised roof
9' slide-out (!!!) is this a huge plus, or a concern with leaking or tipping over?
Sides completely redone, looks more like an RV than a bus- should I be concerned about the strength in a side-impact with it redone?
All mech and elec systems installed, except for solar panel (has propane generator)
Asking $33k

Thanks!
danamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:43 AM   #5926
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I´m going to Salome.AZ from Kanab UT and will do the trip by car that actually is going to be part of the trade so if i see something strage or something i don´t like will go back to kanab driving my 03 elantra.
Depending upon your route, you may pass quite near us. If you're coming down through Page and Flagstaff, please let us know. We're about 25 minutes from Flagstaff - you'd be welcome to stop by here and park for the night on your way back up to Kanab. I'd love to see your bus, if you get one. Keep in mind that the hills are steep, so don't be in a hurry either up or down them. The most important gauge to watch going downhill is the speedometer...but going uphill it's the water temperature gauge. Do not overheat! Downshift, keep the engine RPMs up (don't lug it), and go as slow as needed to not overheat.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #5927
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danamano View Post
Hello all. Found this fully converted skoolie in CA- thoughts or concerns? Going to take a look at it this weekend so I'd appreciate input on what to look out for.

18" raised roof
9' slide-out (!!!) is this a huge plus, or a concern with leaking or tipping over?
Sides completely redone, looks more like an RV than a bus- should I be concerned about the strength in a side-impact with it redone?
All mech and elec systems installed, except for solar panel (has propane generator)
Asking $33k

Thanks!
That's a very nice conversion. Impressive and, really, $33k for that doesn't seem out of line to me, at all. I zoomed in on the one photo that showed the shifter and it's not a push-button...so that isn't definitive. It could be an AT or it could be an MD or other...so I'm no help there.

On the slide out, check the operation of course. But also extend it and get up on the roof to check the fabric over the slide out...paying special attention to the stitching and threads near the roller, when extended...that's usually the first wear and leak point.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #5928
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:

18" raised roof
Asking $33k

Thanks!
That's not that bad a price given everything that's been done to it. That slide-out almost certainly leaks or will eventually. I wouldn't be concerned about the impact resistance - however they did it, it's still going to be stronger than an RV.

If the matching trailer came with it, I might sell my own bus and buy this one.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:33 PM   #5929
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Depending upon your route, you may pass quite near us. If you're coming down through Page and Flagstaff, please let us know. We're about 25 minutes from Flagstaff - you'd be welcome to stop by here and park for the night on your way back up to Kanab. I'd love to see your bus, if you get one. Keep in mind that the hills are steep, so don't be in a hurry either up or down them. The most important gauge to watch going downhill is the speedometer...but going uphill it's the water temperature gauge. Do not overheat! Downshift, keep the engine RPMs up (don't lug it), and go as slow as needed to not overheat.
Hii Ross!!! I´ve just read your post now, that I´ve arrived to kanab.. The women I spoke to via FB didn´t come to the meeting and she said that forgot about me so, I hadn´t see neither buy any bus, quite disappointed after been driving all day long... : facepalm: : facepalm:
Old 01-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #5930
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Hii Ross!!! I´ve just read your post now, that I´ve arrived to kanab.. The women I spoke to via FB didn´t come to the meeting and she said that forgot about me so, I hadn´t see neither buy any bus, quite disappointed after been driving all day long... : facepalm: : facepalm:
Damn...I'm sorry to hear that! That was a long roundtrip drive and I'm sure you're disappointed. Wow...
Old 01-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #5931
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Damn...I'm sorry to hear that! That was a long roundtrip drive and I'm sure you're disappointed. Wow...
No worries dude, everuthing happend for some reason maybe this wasn´t the right one.

Im gonna post the VINs of the buses that I bid for with their price so if you see them and they ask you too much money you can negotiate the right price.

VIN1: 4UZAAWDC45CN33897 4000$
VIN2: 4UZAAWDC75CN33893 3950$
Old 01-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #5932
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:

18" raised roof
Asking $33k

Thanks!
Quite a nice conversion but no mention of insulation, and one photo showed the original metal ceiling. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #5933
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
Quite a nice conversion but no mention of insulation, and one photo showed the original metal ceiling. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Seller has a binder with photos of the original conversion, so I'll look at that when I take a look. Not looking to live full-time in this, so I figured non-insulated roof shouldn't be too big of an issue. Is it a problem?

Also, found from the manufacturer that the bus was built with an Allison AT-545. Again, it's a 30' bus and not fullsize- is this a big issue? There is a possibility the transmission was changed or improved later on.
danamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #5934

What about this?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

The guy says its a 7.4 liter Chevy gas powered engine, 5 speed manual Eaton trans with 26,000
I know you guys like diesel but I've worked on Chevy engines before, and I've changed a few clutches... also it's super cute
Tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #5935
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Also, found from the manufacturer that the bus was built with an Allison AT-545. Again, it's a 30' bus and not fullsize- is this a big issue? There is a possibility the transmission was changed or improved later on.
I would have guessed it was an AT545...from the shifter (not definitive, but it's a clue) and more importantly the fact that the seller listed the engine model but just "Allison transmission." If you had an MD or something, you'd highlight that as a plus. But, I don't personally think the 545 is a deal killer at all. It's a common transmission used in lots of abused vehicles and seems to hold up fine, overall. Without a full lock-up it won't be quite as efficient as one with a locked torque converter, but it's still a decent transmission.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #5936
Bus Crazy

It's baaaack...

Interesting...that "school's" bus (I know, it's not technically a school bus) in Lansing is listed again. I still think it looks like a nice platform for someone. The seller says the last auction winner was unable to pay for, and pick up, the bus so they re-listed it. No reserve, it seems.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...35&acctid=9345
Old 01-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #5937
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I would have guessed it was an AT545...from the shifter (not definitive, but it's a clue) and more importantly the fact that the seller listed the engine model but just "Allison transmission." If you had an MD or something, you'd highlight that as a plus. But, I don't personally think the 545 is a deal killer at all. It's a common transmission used in lots of abused vehicles and seems to hold up fine, overall. Without a full lock-up it won't be quite as efficient as one with a locked torque converter, but it's still a decent transmission.
While the 545 is the least desirable transmission- SO many of the really good buses came with then I just don't see them as a deal killer.

I'm bout to have Ronnie help me plumb in a beefy cooler for my reman 545. Its full of transynd, too. With a full radiatior, an add on cooler, and running transynd the 545 isn't likely to have any issues.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:13 AM   #5938
Mini-Skoolie

1999 Chevrolet blue bird bus 26,000 original miles it has a 7.4 gas engine 5speed manual transmission it runs great. Starts right up every time. Price is OBO

Gas engine, manual trans.. what do you think about this skoolie?
Old 01-20-2021, 01:29 AM   #5939
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
That looks like a winner if the mileage is correct. Can't go wrong with a manual tranny
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:51 AM   #5940
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
I think the 545 gets a bad rap like CB said so many great busses and other vehicles came with them. There are a lot of really heavy duty trucks running them also. As I am given to understand the 545 is a beefed up industrial turbo 400. I believe the converters are technically compatible. They have a low 1st gear (3.5 ish to 1?) and a 4th 1-1 gear. They do not have a lock up converter but that just means you need to limit your speed up the hill to keep it low down the hill. As I recall you can get beefy components for them and keep them cool easily with aftermarket coolers. Being a non locking unit the clutches can be sensitive but like I said, keep em cool. Do not buy a big bus with one; and if you do, dont drive it like you stole it and save your pennies for a 643 swap. Also buy the best tranny fluid money can buy.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote