Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2023, 05:48 PM   #1

Paraplegic seeking 1st Time Bus!

Hello everyone,

I have decided that my future lies in BUSLIFE as I currently own a 5acre property that I have struggled to maintain since my chest down paralysis in 2012. I fell from the second floor of my home breaking my spine at T8 and severing my spinal cord entirely. I have been a professional in my field for a while now but it's no longer something I can physically commit to, as well as the lawn maintenance!

Please HELP ME FIND A BUS that is friendly to a wheelchair bound guy 🙏 I own a CNC shop so building out the inside will be fun and easier than most. Maybe even come up with cool plans to share along the way.

SeanOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:36 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
There are plenty of buses on govdeals.com. Many with wheelchair lifts already in them. Facebook marketplace can be a good source as well. Your selection will be limited to mostly smaller buses. 8 window or smaller. An 8 window is plenty big for a single person though. You can get lucky and find a larger bus with such access but are rarer.

Also most chair lifts weren't used very much and are in great conditions most of the time but also should require a good lubricating session and maintenance done on them before use for the very same reasons
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
As I've noticed in a couple of other posts, you'll probably need to do some modifications to the lift and the electrical supply as well as switching and relays in order to be able to operate the chair lift without having to crawl up to start the bus before using the lift.

It sounds like an interesting problem to solve, and I've got some ideas rattling around in my head, but until I get a clearer picture or have some other specifics, I'll keep my thoughts up there.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote