Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Chevy/ wane
Chassis: N/A
Engine: Was 366
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
Parts

Hope I do this right I am new here have a 88 chevy school bus and will not be needing the front or the motor so I have a 366 Cid with Trans and complete front clip Springs axel dash also have complete drive line and rear end asking 1200.00 for every thing was running January 2016 I also have window's seats and some parts for a international buss if you are interested e mail me at pat2549314526@gmail.com

pat2549314526@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:11 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Ah ha! Making a chicken coop huh? I knew someone would get around to it.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Kinda makes me wonder ... assuming they bought a functional, running bus for this project ... why didn't they just buy a dead junker for less money?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

It was fun as a driver but I am doing a conversion to make it a gooseneck I know to some of you that is taboo but me and the boys built it and it has been good but it will more sute my need as a pull behind don't need to be judged just trying to help someone that may meed parts the main coach will never be sold it will die with me
Old 05-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat2549314526@gmail. View Post
... a 366 Cid with Trans and complete front clip Springs axel dash also have complete drive line and rear end
What year was the bus manufactured? Which trans does it have? What mileage?

And, oh yeah, where is it now?
gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoq View Post
What year was the bus manufactured? Which trans does it have? What mileage?

And, oh yeah, where is it now?
It is a 1988 chev the hood is off a 1987 gmc it has a 366 Cid with a 4bbl and all the emissions that came with it has factory headers and the transmission is the older style Alison also have a Alison out of a 91 int with a diesel has less then 2000 miles on a rebuild from a transmission shop we are in central Texas
Old 05-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat2549314526@gmail. View Post
It is a 1988 chev the hood is off a 1987 gmc it has a 366 Cid with a 4bbl and all the emissions that came with it has factory headers and the transmission is the older style Alison also have a Alison out of a 91 int with a diesel has less then 2000 miles on a rebuild from a transmission shop we are in central Texas
Also the motor was replaced 1 1/2 school years before it was put out of service as per the school shop manager then I put about 3500 miles on it in the time I had it
Old 05-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Interesting. So no chickens huh?

Nobody is going to give you grief here about cutting up a bus. There are much worse forms of bus abuse identified here frequently. You're just entering new territory. These aren't generally trailer guys, but many things apply the same. Throw up some pics and listen to the banter. I think what's happening is you're blurring the line between skoolie and camper. You got to lay those new ideas on a bus forum slowly to not cause any hemorrhaging.

You want a bus but you don't want to deal with the engine. That would make a seriously heavy 5th wheel in my mind. I've seen that done actually, but sorry no photos from pre divorce era. It was actually from a time before 5th wheels in a land far, far away. Na, it was actually the back end of two buses put together kind of like a big yellow airstream trailer. Impressive looking on it's own and causes a certain amount of confusion at the same time from bystanders. You still have to pull it with something, unless it's more of a tiny home that you move just sometimes.
Are you unbolting the body and putting it on a 5th wheel trailer frame, or forming the bus frame into a 5th wheel setup?
It's a good idea. You're still reusing something that otherwise could turn into scrap. You've just found a way to not deal with an engine, and I'm sure you've stirred some imaginations here. You've probably got some kind of a re-licensing issue with that too. Chopped off the VIN#.
So, got a floorplan? Is the bus already built out as a camper and you're just trailerizing it? Inquiring minds...
Old 05-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Interesting. So no chickens huh?

Nobody is going to give you grief here about cutting up a bus. There are much worse forms of bus abuse identified here frequently. You're just entering new territory. These aren't generally trailer guys, but many things apply the same. Throw up some pics and listen to the banter. I think what's happening is you're blurring the line between skoolie and camper. You got to lay those new ideas on a bus forum slowly to not cause any hemorrhaging.

You want a bus but you don't want to deal with the engine. That would make a seriously heavy 5th wheel in my mind. I've seen that done actually, but sorry no photos from pre divorce era. It was actually from a time before 5th wheels in a land far, far away. Na, it was actually the back end of two buses put together kind of like a big yellow airstream trailer. Impressive looking on it's own and causes a certain amount of confusion at the same time from bystanders. You still have to pull it with something, unless it's more of a tiny home that you move just sometimes.
Are you unbolting the body and putting it on a 5th wheel trailer frame, or forming the bus frame into a 5th wheel setup?
It's a good idea. You're still reusing something that otherwise could turn into scrap. You've just found a way to not deal with an engine, and I'm sure you've stirred some imaginations here. You've probably got some kind of a re-licensing issue with that too. Chopped off the VIN#.
So, got a floorplan? Is the bus already built out as a camper and you're just trailerizing it? Inquiring minds...
Yes it is a full scale rv for the past 5 years it has all the things that a 5th wheel would have I was in the towing business for 15 years and also worked at a school as there mecanic so I know my way around a bus the bus did fine but like all drivers you have to take a second car if you don't want to be stuck at the park and the older buses do not have ac and in texas whin it is 100 degree it is hard on a long trip I repurpost 4 old wreck campers and have all the stuff in it frightliner microwave 2 ac roof mount and bathroom cabinets and beds got the weight down to under 11,000 lbs comparable to some of the 30 foot 5ers out there how do you up load pictures here new to site and don't know how it all works
Old 05-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Please don't think I was judging you, I was more curious than anything. But having read the backstory, it makes more sense. If I had a couple dead 40' buses to work with (and a truck/trailer salvage yard to plunder) I might be inclined to merge 2 bus rear-sections to form a 50+ foot shell, probably doing a roof-raise on 80% of it ... the front would be set up in a typical 5th wheel, "Drop deck" fashion so I could move it with a road tractor ........ At some point it would probably be easier and cheaper to find an old moving van for a basis to work with.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #11
Bus Geek

You got to upload you pics to imgur or photobucket first. Then you can transfer pics into your thread. My theory is that's how they screen for viruses in photos, but just a guess.

Yeah, you always need wheels to drive around and parking these things is a pain most normal places.

Concerning the AC, you may like some of the ideas here. There's a few AC guys here that are twisted but brilliant.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:58 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

No I used the frame and suspension but will be removing the rear diff to put a 12,000 lbs electronic break axel at less then half the weight don't know how to put a pic here but was able to make a album on my profile form start to current still have some more changes to do and will add later as time permits hope you check out the pics it is under the name birth of the redneckcondo
Old 06-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I finally got to upload a album to my profile it shoe's what the bus is now still have some work to do but I think it is worth it the memories are priceless
Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Pat - to post a photo, go to your album and get it to display just one photo. Right-click on it and choose "Copy Image Address". Then back here, when you post, click on the little icon above the message entry box that looks like a photo (it's a mountain against a yellow background - you'll see it). In the resulting popup, paste the address you copied onto your computer's clipboard. Click OK on the popup and the photo will then appear in your message.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Not quite a chicken coop lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Ah ha! Making a chicken coop huh? I knew someone would get around to it.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:38 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Hi it has been a while but got time away from work to figure out how to post a album if you want to see my chicken coop lol it is in pictures under the birth of the redneckcondo and you can see what I have been up to