Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Portland, OR Juicy Lucy 30ft Mostly converted Skoolie for sale

Life has brought me to the point where it is within my best interest to sell the skoolie I spent 3 years converting and have lived in for the past 2 years. She's not perfect but I have poured thousands of hours of my heart into this bus and built it to last. And I have just about all my progress documented via skoolie forum as well as website. I intended to finish it further, but I ran out of finances and motivation to go much further and it's a lot harder to do things when you're living out of it. So Let's get into some of the good and bad. International 6.9 diesel Engine, with 229,000 miles on it. I still haven’t crawled under the bus and figured out which transmission is in it.

Here’s a bigger album here

Good
12v DC electrical system with 3 separate fused areas, all connected with oversized wiring
I minimized AC draw as much as possible and focused most electronics such as usb chargers, TV and lights all off DC
600watts of 12v solar with 4gauge wire between the roof and the electronics
Two separate 20a AC electrical systems so you are not limited to 1000watts when connected to shore power, nor are you limited to 30a sockets
water plumbed with pex and an excess of shutoff valves
black iron propane gas lines with minimal copper piping to each appliance, co and propane detectors in their respective high/low locations
removed all original windows, sheeted over with 18gauge galvannealed steel and added dual pane rv windows
comfy passenger seat swivels around for multifunction
Atleast 2.5" of Polyiso insulation as well as a reflectix barrier throughout the bus to prevent thermal bridging. (except the flooring which is 1/2" of xps insulation)
600watt solar panels with trimetric sc2030 charger+ trimetric 2030 battery monitor
magnum mms1012 pure sine inverter charger
brand new bus batteries, so new I haven’t even bought them yet.
Dickenson P1200 direct vented propane stove
Girard GSWH-2 tankless instant RV water heater
almost all framing in the bus done with 16g square tubing for space efficiency as well as structural rigidity
all welded steel framing aside from my battery box has been powder coated so the paint lasts very good
flooring is vinyl faux wood which is considerably more durable, waterproof and more expensive
there's a lot of storage, most of the bus space/storage is accessible
I did not use a single nail in the entire bus, if you wanted to strip everything apart, everything I can think of is screwed in.
Custom Foam bed with high quality foam components.
Custom made couch with custom sized couch cushions, with some effort the couch can be turned into an L shaped couch or a guest bed. It is actually longer than the master bed.
3 roof vents with 2 way fans all with vent covers
There’s a roof deck
I built this bus with intention to make it last/turn it into an RV/Airbnb when I was done with it. The foundations are strong and I built everything with long lasting quality in mind.
I care about this bus and if you are local I will try and provide support and consultation to make sure you know the bus as well as I do.
Bad
Bus needs a paint job. I got some vinyl wrapping to wrap the roof but I did a pretty bad job. I still have a few hundred dollars worth of extra wrapping I haven’t used.
Without an entryway getting in and out of the bus is a little shy of convenient, I do have a step ladder included with this.
The original stairway was repurposed to be a battery box, it could still be used as a stairway but would be a safer stairway with some work.
The Solar electrical area/wiring is a little bit tight
Grey water tank should be replumbed the connection is too small, I do have a separate exit route for greywater
There are a lot of areas that could use finish/polishing. Windows would benefit from a frame/window sill, there’s still some exposed unfinished wood, there are cabinets that would benefit from doors.
Shower drain needs a P trap
The batteries suck, I don’t think this bus can become off grid without the batteries getting replaced
The couch cushion upholstery was very half assed
The bed is slightly angled designed with my very short wife in mind the longest point barely accommodates me (6’3”) and the shortest side probably is probably
Due to current parking situation my wife and I are at war with a colony of invading ants
The roof deck wood is in sorry shape, and I have yet to execute a polished ladder system to access the roof
Despite my best efforts insulating it, it is still cold during the winter and hot during the summer
The bus is heavier on t he passenger side and leans right when driving.
The bathroom is accessible via backdoor or climbing over the bed, my goal was to encourage people to pee outside rather than in the bathroom, it worked out pretty well.
Some drawer slides are a little sticky.
If you have bad dog allergies there’s a lot of doghair about.
No air conditioner.

There’s more good, there’s more bad. I would love to give a detailed tour to anyone interested. As things stand, I thought the bus would be worth 30k finished, from the skoolie community I’m asking 17k. I am still living in it, I am willing to take less if you can work around me on the purchase date. I think the best way to contact me is via my spam mail hairyballs8008@gmail.com from there I’ll give you a better email address or phone number. Thanks for looking!

TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Kudos for as honest an ad as you can get. Sorry you're having to sell your home.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:45 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I second Musigenesis' sentiments. I like honest ads. In that same vein of honesty, I'd like for you to take a look at your bus from the buyer's persoective. Figure YOU are the person(s) wanting to bu
y a bus and here comes your bus. Forget how much you would like to get out of it ... how much would you honestly pay fot it. Also, many folks have had luck in selling their skoolies in CraigsList and FaceBook Marketplace.

You mention in the "bad" section that the bus leans to the passenger side. When was the last time it was fired up and driven?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote