Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2023, 11:20 PM   #1

Quality online sales?

Not sure if this is the right place but I have started my search for a used bus for my conversion. Dose anyone have any recommendations on online resources to help find busses for sale?

GreenWaffleCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:32 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWaffleCopter View Post
Not sure if this is the right place but I have started my search for a used bus for my conversion. Dose anyone have any recommendations on online resources to help find busses for sale?
I bought both of mine thru publicsurplus.com.

Not a dealer but an online auction site.

Most purchases are sight unseen so it is very risky but on the flipside you don’t pay for a dealers profit!

It is highly urged you inspect a bus before buying/bidding or you could just take the risk!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:51 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I got mine at auction through 422 bus sales

https://www.422sales.com/mobile

I was able to look at the buses in person

They were auctioning for Student Transportation of America and in my case, out of Riverside California. I don’t see them doing it now. Maybe STA is using someone else

One of the things going on in the secondary market is a lot of buses are going to Central America
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:49 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there are a couple ways to go to find a used bus..

1. - a dealer.. you can contact a dealer and walk in, look at, drive, and talk about a specific or number of busses they may have.. said dealer will be a licensed auto dealer and be able to get you things like a temp tag to drive home, and may offer services such as removing the seats, paint, mechanical work, etc depending on who they are.. the big drawback is the price is going to be pretty high

2. auctions - public surplus, govdeals, onlinepros, purplewave, 422 sales, richie brothers, etc often have used busses for sale.. these auctions feature busses all over the country so you can pick and choose the area you want to search in.. obviously the risk of buying northern busses is rust.. if you want factory A/C, look for southern busses.. the prices at auction are generally goinfg to be your best.. these auctions are like traditional auctions in that everyone gets a last chance to bid.. unlike the sniping of ebay.. most auctionsd have a Q&A section on the description where you can ask questions about mechanical issues, inspection dates / times (to look in person), etc.. look for things like required removal time after winning, how you are supposed to pay.. and the buyer's premium (miney you pay over and above the bus price).. many people here have had great success getting good deals on busses at auction..

3. facebook marketplace - many busses pop up here all the time.. they are typically individual sales although sometimes a dealer.. prices are usually posted high but many times pretty negotiable.. yes scammers do exist so dont just blindly cashapp someone a bunch of money thinking you bought a bus.. I treat any facdebook marketplace sale as an in person.. I visit in person before sending a dime... oftentimes i notice busses posted on marketplace where a seller doesnt want to deal much on price end up getting relisted a month later for significantly less.. this is prob my least favorite method of buying a bus.. although I did buy my classic superior in this manner.. it turned out my seller also owns a legit car dealership that I vetted him on.. worked out great..

dont be in a hurrt whichever method you choose, watch and see what prices things are selling at, the market changes.. ive noticed a definite pullback over the last 12-18 months in bus prices.. coinciding with the buddy of mine that sells RV's in that the market is down at the moment.. maybe not as cheap as it was 6 or 7 years ago but def not as high as it was in 2020/2021..

in general if you can try and stay away from busses 2007 and newer.. esp IH and cat engines... 06 and older have much less emission control equipment and are more reliable... some of the newer cummins 6.7 engine equipped busses tend to be somewhat more reliable than the 07-15 IH / CAT busses but not as good as say an 02/03 IH / CAT...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:42 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I got mine at auction through 422 bus sales

https://www.422sales.com/mobile

One of the things going on in the secondary market is a lot of buses are going to Central America
Alot of busses end up in Central America, especially since Bluebird shut down the manufacturing facility in Guatemala.

I had the joy and privilege of taking quite a few down there to Honduras with my dad back in the '80's.

Wish I could do it again, just for fun, but the wife is too scared!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 04:19 PM   #6

Bus life adventure
Kandh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 06:24 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Alot of busses end up in Central America, especially since Bluebird shut down the manufacturing facility in Guatemala.

I had the joy and privilege of taking quite a few down there to Honduras with my dad back in the '80's.

Wish I could do it again, just for fun, but the wife is too scared!
That sounds like a lot of fun. Probably was safer in the 80’s. I suppose you would have to speak Spanish to do a trip like that.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 02:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I bought mine from Facebook Marketplace for $3500. Had 141k miles, bad king pins, broken VPM, Starter Issues, and that's just what I have found so far. Engine does seem to run really well though. I asked him would this drive 200 miles and make the trip, and he was confident it could and it did. Said Engine was really solid and never had an issue with it, only with steering and starter issues and the speedometer didnt' work either. Air brakes had no problems holding air, but later found one of the front service chambers was completely shot. All easily fixed though and I've fixed them.

When you buy on facebook Marketplace, always do in person, inspect the bus first. I did test drive my bus and it ran fine at the time of testing, but he was up front in stating there were a few issues and didn't want to spend the money or time fixing them, and was up front about most of those issues. It was an old enough bus that I figured it would be simple enough to fix the broken items. And for the most part it is comparably easier to repair to a more modern bus, I'm just not much of a mechanic and there is quite a learning curve for someone of my background. I'm more of a computer geek.

From an auction you are more likely to get a bus which was certified up until they stopped running it, so you may get a better shape bus but they will still have issues as there's a good reason why they are selling them at the time that they do.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 01:23 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Auction houses like Richie Bros sometimes have buses
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:32 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '05
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466 HT
Rated Cap: 69
In 2018 I found my first bus on Craigslist from a dealer for $3500. It had about 190,000 miles and had just left Metro Nashville School District. My most recent bus was found via Facebook Marketplace, also from a dealer, with 91,000 miles for $6500.

I had no clue what I was looking for with my first bus and 5 years later I had a pretty good idea what I wanted and a definite list of what I didn't.
nocoasty is offline   Reply With Quote