Originally Posted by Franram
Sold to a boat owner both for 400.00 he was so happy and so was I.
I'm happy you were able to sell them for a price that worked for both of you.
I didn't comment on your listing when you posted it, because the forum rules discourage that, but gel battery design is probably the worst option for our uses. If overcharged (either too fast or too high) lead-acid batteries will bubble or boil...offgas. In a flooded lead acid (FLA) or absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery, the electrolyte liquid will flow and stay in contact with the plates after the abuse is done. But I've personally seen autopsied gel batteries in which the bubbles pushed the gelled electrolyte away from the plates and wherever you no longer have electrolyte in contact with the plate, you lose capacity. It only takes one instance of overcharging to damage a gel battery in a way that other batteries might survive.
One of the boat forums I've read through claims that gel batteries are more resistant to bubbling. That may be the case...perhaps it take a higher charge current...but I've seen the results of overcharging and it look pretty permanent...these batteries were junked.