Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #1

Renogy New Hybrid Gel 200ah 12v batteries 2

2 New in the box Renogy Hybrid Gel batteries ..12v 200ah each. I bought them for a fiberglass camper remodel but design changes will only fit the 100ah batteries in my set up. A big loss but nothing else to do. I will sell them for 250.00 each . They sell for 450 to 550 . Check out details on Renogy web site...they will do the job!!! I am in the Atlanta area..can not ship. Price is low to pay your gas.to pick them up...hopefully you are.close. I have them on Atlanta craigslist.
Attached Thumbnails
20220627_151012.jpg   20220703_084132.jpg  

Franram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:38 AM   #2

Sold for 400.00

Sold to a boat owner both for 400.00 he was so happy and so was I.
Franram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:12 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franram View Post
Sold to a boat owner both for 400.00 he was so happy and so was I.
I'm happy you were able to sell them for a price that worked for both of you.

I didn't comment on your listing when you posted it, because the forum rules discourage that, but gel battery design is probably the worst option for our uses. If overcharged (either too fast or too high) lead-acid batteries will bubble or boil...offgas. In a flooded lead acid (FLA) or absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery, the electrolyte liquid will flow and stay in contact with the plates after the abuse is done. But I've personally seen autopsied gel batteries in which the bubbles pushed the gelled electrolyte away from the plates and wherever you no longer have electrolyte in contact with the plate, you lose capacity. It only takes one instance of overcharging to damage a gel battery in a way that other batteries might survive.

One of the boat forums I've read through claims that gel batteries are more resistant to bubbling. That may be the case...perhaps it take a higher charge current...but I've seen the results of overcharging and it look pretty permanent...these batteries were junked.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:43 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: International
Chassis: PB105
Engine: VT365 6.0L v8 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
… gel battery design is probably the worst option for our uses. If overcharged (either too fast or too high) lead-acid batteries will bubble or boil...offgas. In a flooded lead acid (FLA) or absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery, the electrolyte liquid will flow and stay in contact with the plates after the abuse is done. …

One of the boat forums I've read through claims that gel batteries are more resistant to bubbling. That may be the case...perhaps it take a higher charge current...but I've seen the results of overcharging and it look pretty permanent...these batteries were junked.
So, I'm still learning about skoolie/rv battery systems, but isn't this the kind of thing that a charge controller and BMS are supposed to prevent?
indigo_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo_k View Post
So, I'm still learning about skoolie/rv battery systems, but isn't this the kind of thing that a charge controller and BMS are supposed to prevent?
If set up properly, yes. But life and configurations and implementations aren't always perfect and gel batteries are, in my experience, the least tolerant of any mistakes or abuse.

I, personally, won't own or recommend gel batteries. Of course, I also won't own or recommend Renogy products...so there's a double hit here, in my mind.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dc power, electrical, solar