Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-2000 Handybus
Engine: Cummins
Unhappy Replacement windows and windshield

Hi all,

Out on a limb here...

We got finally got our skoolie, a 1994 tc 2000 handybus, transit-style, and drove it from Oregon to Denver last week. It was beautiful and perfect. In the middle of the day yesterday while we were out for two hours, a bunch of teenagers smashed almost all the windows and used the emergency hammer to smash both panes of the giant windshield...driver's windows...entry door panes...emergency exit windows...about 10 of the passenger windows, which are two sizes: one just under 28 inches wide, and the other is jsut under 35 inches wide.

Because we JUST got it, we only have trip insurance which doesn't cover this. Neither does our homeowners insurance. We've talked with the cops and filled out a police report, so we'll see where that ends up (probably nowhere).

Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone in the area have windows they are removing? Does anyone know of a bus yard that would trade us a new windshield for our perfectly functioning wheelchair lift? A good bus graveyard? Anything?

The replacement costs are looking like they will outweigh the cost of the bus...and the total amount of money we could have put into our conversion.

Thank you for any suggestions or ideas!! I'm not ready to give up on the dream...

beret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9, Spicer-5
Rated Cap: 44 Big butts/66 Lil ones
Welcome beret:
That is just plain sick!
I really feel for you and wish I could help.
I'm new here myself but it seems like there's lots of friendly helpful folks here and I'm sure someone will chime-in with some advice.
one_eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Very sorry about this. Maybe you can get some help here...Get the numbers off the big glass and call around?

http://www.brysonsales.com/File/2b11...6-1620e74d2834
Old 02-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Step One:
Find said teenagers

Step Two:
Waterboard said teenagers (and parents)
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Step One:
Find said teenagers

Step Two:
Waterboard said teenagers (and parents)
Step Three:
Metal bedframe, 8D battery and jumper cables

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks 2kool4skool! I'm sure this will be very helpful.

And thanks for the support everyone! It did get violent a little quick, but I do feel the frustration!

If anyone else has hook ups in/around CO, I'm interested!!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Bus Glass and Windshield Distributors - School Bus Glass, Coach/Charter Bus Glass, Transit/Public Bus Glass | Translite Enterprises or http://midwesttransit.com Consider, also, that you'll probably blank out a lot of those windows anyway.

As for the kids - I like the idea of a cattle prod suppository.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
I would just remove the windows and cover the holes. Call AAAbus in Phoenix. They were dismantelling a 1999 tc2000 about two weeks ago. Maybe they would swap you for the lift. They are very good to deal with. If you want to replace the windows instead of covering them and all else fails I have all the windows removed from my bus, 30 of them including 6 emergency exits. I think 2 of them were cracked. I don't know the size of the door windows but I could measure them for you. It is an accordian door with four windows and I'm going to remove it. You can have all the windows if you really need them. I'm in PA so the shipping would be prohibitive but maybe we could SKOOLIE RELAY them to you. Soon there will be skoolies travelling the country and we could possibly have people relay them your way.They measure about 27 1/2 front to back and 24 1/4 top to bottom. They are from a 1999 tc2000. Anybody passing through western PA headed that way? Anyone know a trucker going from here toward there? I can't imagine the nightmare these new skoolies are going through. Lets help them out. It would be a great thing for Skoolie.net.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by beret View Post
Thanks 2kool4skool! I'm sure this will be very helpful.

And thanks for the support everyone! It did get violent a little quick, but I do feel the frustration!

If anyone else has hook ups in/around CO, I'm interested!!
You confusing violence with discipline..
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Roadrunner - what an amazing post. I'm pretty blown away by the quick responses, support, and your generosity and willingness to help! Not a great welcome to bus ownership, but it's been a pretty great welcome to the skoolie community.

We weren't originally planning on taking out a ton of windows, but after having a few hours to process our situation, we have reworked our approach a bit. I'll call AAAbus tomorrow. Any spare windows that you have would be so helpful, and so would be the accordion door panels. As we are not ready to give up on the dream so soon, I'm sure we'll get something to work no matter what...it may just take a little longer than expected.

Either way, the thought of a skoolie relay is nothing short of inspirational, and I really want to be a part of a community that does that! Whether or not somebody is carrying windows though CO or us transporting something to another skoolie in need in the future, we're in.

Again, thank you so much for the warm welcome!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
Skoolie

Well, thats just kinda what we do here. And you're welcome. I just hope it works out. Oh, and we love pics here too, even if the windows are not in such good shape at the moment. Lets have some pics of your new baby.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beret View Post
Roadrunner - what an amazing post. I'm pretty blown away by the quick responses, support, and your generosity and willingness to help! Not a great welcome to bus ownership, but it's been a pretty great welcome to the skoolie community.

Either way, the thought of a skoolie relay is nothing short of inspirational, and I really want to be a part of a community that does that! Whether or not somebody is carrying windows though CO or us transporting something to another skoolie in need in the future, we're in.

Again, thank you so much for the warm welcome!
My wife and I can help with transport, that is what we do right now, (deliver motorcycles and anything else that will fit our trailer or F350 bed) best part no charge!!! until we can get our (shoolydoo) up and livable. Cant do all at one time but a few over a couple of trips.
We have to make some money that's why we cant do all at one time..but a few stuck here and there..will get it done.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
If you can do some precise measurements, I still have all of my glass and frames from a 2002 Thomas:

The following dimensions are outside of frame to outside of frame:

Side windows: vertical sliders, 27 3/8" wide x 28 1/2" tall, 26 of them
Entry doors: 15 5/8" wide x 84 3/4" tall, 2 of them
Large rear window in fold up escape panel, but my bus is a rear-engine so it may not work with yours.
Driver's side slider

I don't know how universal they are, but hopefully at least the glass would be the same size. If you want just the glass, I can measure that after I take one unit apart.

Maybe if the frames don't fit perfect, the glass could be still useable. I was going to scrap all of these out for the aluminum, however if you can use them, they're yours, no charge. The only problem would be the shipping, since each window with its frame weighs 14 pounds, and I don't know how much the doors weigh - maybe 40 pounds each.

I'm in Aberdeen, SD and can travel out 100 miles or so.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all for the responses!

Roadrunner - I think that some of your windows and the entry door would fit great!!

Skoolydoo - where are you located? Would you be coming through Colorado? What do you like to drink??

Rhombus - thanks so much! Some of those side windows may work, but I will have to get back to you on some of the details, particularly timing. (Love the rhombus name!!)

Our side windows are two sizes (see photo for how I measured):
a) 14" tall and 25" wide
b) 14" tall and 32: wide

Driver's window :
2 panels that slide horizontally, 20.5" tall x 14.5" wide
Only one is broken

Entry accordion-opening door:
Our door has 4 panels, bottom panel 12" wide x 41" tall and the top panel 12" x 23"
One top panel and one bottom panel are broken

Windshield :
42.5" wide x 34" tall
We heard from a local school that might have a windshield available, but we haven't gotten exact measurements yet.

We've decided not to replace the the damage in the back (emergency exit and windows) - our new layout doesn't require us to keep the broken windows.

And more info to come...

use this link if the images don't load https://goo.gl/photos/AxfWc3oaag6mDsvE8
Old 02-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I REALLY want to "counsel" those sorry individuals. That just wasn't right for them to do that. We had a rash of teens shooting out car windows here in town a few years back. One of the teens was brought into the local constabulary by his stacking swivel by his old man.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #16
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Drink

Skoolydoo - where are you located? Would you be coming through Colorado? What do you like to drink??:bow

Coke is the drink!

I am from Okla but go all over.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #17
Skoolie

Hey Skoolydoo.

I sent you a private message.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
Skoolie

beret, how many windows do you need? I assume you need all four of the door windows but how many of the seat windows? Let me know ASAP so I can build a shipping crate. I sent Skoolydoo a private message with my phone number so we can coordinate. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

So amazing!!

I think all we'd really need would be 2 of the 28" wide and 2 of the 35" wide (four total) and the accordion door panels.

You guys are all so awesome!
Old 02-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'd say the side windows you can probably cover most and score the rest from an rv/camper. As for the windshield, Is each side one solid piece or are there two pieces per side(4 total)? Either way, front windshields aren't the most enjoyable thing to replace. Make sure you have plenty of help(2 people minimum) plenty of lube, and plenty of patience.

Also, if you get one shipped in, open it and ensure that it's intact before the ups man leaves. Most of the ones we order in are broken on arrival.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluebird tc-2000, extra windows, replacement, windows, windshield