Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Second Opinion: 1996 FORD GIRARD and 2004 Ford BLUEBIRD

I'm looking at two short busses right now. Not a lot of details in the ads:

1996 FORD GIRARD
Engine: 7.3l V8 Diesel
Transmission: Auto
Odometer: 164,xxx
Price: 6500$

and

2004 FORD BLUEBIRD
Engine:7.3L Diesel
Transmission:Auto
Odometer:100,xxx
Price: Not mentioned, have to call.

My question is for people who know theses makes/models. What should I be looking out for? What should I ask? Parts that need maintenance or replacement given the mileage? Prone to rust, where?

It's a dealership (I know, most here prefer auctions and will say these are heavily overpriced. You might be right, but we have our reasons to go that route.) and they offer a bus warranty, check every bus leaving the lot. For someone with zero mechanical knowledge, thats a lot to easy the mind.

ChrisHieronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Personally I'd prefer the '96 for several reasons. The odds it's a mechanical drivetrain run better in your favor, but it might be computerized - but a very basic computer.

The '04 is most likely the 6.0L NOT the coveted 7.3L diesel. The 6.0L came out in '03 full-force with many issues. By '05 (the year of my 6.0L diesel pick-up) things were slowly getting better.

Just beware of the '04 being a 6.0L but not the 7.3L. Visual inspection is always encouraged.

Just my two cents....

M
Old 04-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Hi Chris, We have a short bus , Elfie, thread "elf bus", similar to that.

I had to replace a rusted out driver side floor.
164000 is not much but depending on maintenance procedures you might run into worn glow plugs and injectors.
If it runs smooth , start from cold easily and immediately with no smoke then i think you should be alright. Check for leaks and drips under the car while it is still parked.
We bought ours private and paid $3700 for it . Seen them at auctions go for around 500 to 2500.
Dealers mostly let go of the maintenance papers ... what you do not cannot hurt them .

I think the girardin is aluminum skin and floor also so expect little rust there. I think roach?? forgive me if I am wrong has a diesel maintenance page for this engine. I am sure you can glean quite some of that.

Good luck,
later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The '04 bus could very well have an '03 drive trans. As M1031A suggested, verify it yourself.

The '96 is probably the old IDI motor. Reliable but definitely not a powerhouse.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Unfortunately, our boy is in Europe right now and it would probably be cheaper to buy the bus than to go take a look at it.

ChrisHieronimus, where are these located? Perhaps someone could do their bit for international cooperation and understanding and go take a look for you.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Unfortunately, our boy is in Europe right now and it would probably be cheaper to buy the bus than to go take a look at it.

ChrisHieronimus, where are these located? Perhaps someone could do their bit for international cooperation and understanding and go take a look for you.
Oh, I need to change that. I just moved recently, busses are in the area, probably gonna look at them today.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Great! Damn 10 character limit!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Update: The '04 is already sold, gonna check out the 96 today.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 36pp
Engine: 7.3 L diesel
Where is the 96 located ? I saw that exact same bus with those exact miles go for pretty cheap a few weeks ago in an auction in california.... I recently just bought a bus and I was about to pull the trigger on a bus from a dealer but decided to wait and got the same bus with half the miles at less than half the price a week later from a private seller .

In my opinion it wasn't worth 3500 dollars to to pay a dealer to sweep the bus out give it a nice car wash and slap a new price tag on . if your dealer can show proof of some sort of mechanical work they did or something to justify the price hike than that may be worth it if you are hesitant to dive into the engine .
mikerob643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerob643 View Post
Where is the 96 located ? I saw that exact same bus with those exact miles go for pretty cheap a few weeks ago in an auction in california.... I recently just bought a bus and I was about to pull the trigger on a bus from a dealer but decided to wait and got the same bus with half the miles at less than half the price a week later from a private seller .

In my opinion it wasn't worth 3500 dollars to to pay a dealer to sweep the bus out give it a nice car wash and slap a new price tag on . if your dealer can show proof of some sort of mechanical work they did or something to justify the price hike than that may be worth it if you are hesitant to dive into the engine .
It was in northern California, but I was too late. Already sold. Both of them. The search continues.

Tags
bluebird, diesel, ford, short bus, shorty