Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Seeking short (4-6 row)

Traveling musician seeking to covert to RV. Ideally diesel International 444, 466; 4-6 row, manual trans (5+); mechanical injectors (likely to go WVO). Obviously low miles would be great, good body, all the usual stuff. Looking for 444 or 466 solely from "reading up" on line, no direct experience so if there are strong recommendations/suggestions....
I'm mechanically inclined but far from a moto-wiz. Hoping to get something I can do all maintenance and most repairs myself, as always. But not terribly interested in doing engine or trans rebuild, though.
Aiming for the $2000-$2500 range (yeah, I know, double that and I should find easily.... however, did I mention "musician?" haha).

Thanks in advance.

mediaphyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
You might want to include your location in your profile so we might be able to find some closer to you.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #3

Western North Carolina. Near Asheville.

Thanks... missed the obvious (location).
Old 08-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaphyte View Post
Thanks... missed the obvious (location).
So what is your approximate location?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

Western North Carolina. Near Asheville, Knoxville, Johnson City
Old 08-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Shorties go cheap usually. If you wait till winter buses in general are much cheaper, at least in my buying experiences.
Saw some Vistas go for dealer-high prices on Public Surplus recently. I'd say if looking for a shorty consider those Vistas your last resort. Sorry Vista owners, personal opinion here, but I just flat out don't like them. They have the worst engine layout of any design. Half inside the cab, half under the firewall. Horrible ride, too.
Look for a shorty on a fullsize chassis. A Bluebird AA or AmTran CE shorty would be what I'd look for. That's what I got when I wanted a shorty. AmTran special needs shorty. Came with new tires, air ride, 4.10 gears, high headroom, and runs like a beast! Best $1760 I ever spent on a vehicle!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #7

See, THAT is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion about wintertime prices.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
See, THAT is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion about wintertime prices.
The $1760 shorty- that same yard listed some more on the same auction site and since it was summer (bought mine in winter) the prices were at least double, some triple!
My 1992 Ward Senator is a supreme bus for conversion. All mechanical, DT466/Allison 643, air ride, etc. Paid $2150 in the cold Kentucky winter.
I'm in Fl and our schools are crappy, our buses are crappy, yet they sell for more $$ than anywhere else I've seen.
So each winter now I seem to find a CRAZY good deal on a damn fine bus somewhere that's cold and freezing.
I'm patient, and a bit flexible in what I'll buy.
Just get to know buses real well and start looking with patience and vigilance. Be willing to travel for a nice bus.

Also- don't fall into the "have to have it now". If you REALLY wanna do this, IMO its worth finding a really super bus with the best running gear and all the features you want. Patience pays off huge in the long run. Lots of folks rush out, buy the first bus that comes along only to find out a forty foot bus with a 7.3 and 6.50 rear end isn't fun to take out on the interstate.
If you can find a nice, solid shorty with a DT466 and can get it without paying an arm and a leg go for it. That's the ultimate engine as far as shorties go.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #9

And again thank you for the advice. It seems I have an unintentional job for a while anyway, so canceled an upcoming tour and so winter may be just perfect to (hopefully) find the right bus.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC3S530
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 41
Quote:
Western North Carolina. Near Asheville, Knoxville, Johnson City

That means you know where Roan Mountain is ... I love that area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
international, short bus