Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Sell me your unfinished project!

Hi everyone!

I'm in Philly and looking to start a conversion soon, but I don't want to deal with all of the paperwork involved with getting a title reclassified from a commercial bus to a motorhome. So, if you have a vehicle within a few hundred miles of PA that already has seats removed & has a motorhome title that you're looking to sell, let me know! Also happy for any leads you might have. Thank you!

Tim

gangstertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd take 5 g's for mine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Is it titled as a motorhome? Also, where are you located, what kind of bus is it, how long, what work has been done? Do you have a service history? Any pictures?

So many questions
Old 08-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Its in fl. I can go to the tag office any weekday and have it re-titled as a MH. I like it as a bus for flexibility of insurance, but all I have to do to change it is go fill out a form.
Its a 40 foot AmTran/Ward Senator. I have a build thread... roll your own- thats the title.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hi EastCoast,

I was looking at your build thread, looks neat. You've put some good work into that bus.

Florida is a little far away, but I'm considering it (and looking at my budget...) have you already started raising the roof?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Any bus with a properly raised roof is worth $2000 more than is was before.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I have it all prepped and ready to raise. Just got done with most of the tar removal.
Ive been taking it slow and easy with the bus since the summer has been so brutal.
Yeah, I don't cut corners when it comes to working on stuff!
Old 08-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
My 28 foot 97 international might be for sale, going to bid on another bus with AC, mine is titled as a motor home in Ohio
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Kubla,

What kind of work have you already done on it?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to KeiroD Send a message via Yahoo to KeiroD Send a message via Skype™ to KeiroD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
My 28 foot 97 international might be for sale, going to bid on another bus with AC, mine is titled as a motor home in Ohio
You're in Ohio? Awesome, I'm over in Youngstown.

I'd dearly love to purchase your bus, if at all possible. What'd be your price? Although... note, I'm on SSI, so I'd have to pay you over time. Maybe you could use that to fund your bus conversion for the other bus?
KeiroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiroD View Post
You're in Ohio? Awesome, I'm over in Youngstown.

I'd dearly love to purchase your bus, if at all possible. What'd be your price? Although... note, I'm on SSI, so I'd have to pay you over time. Maybe you could use that to fund your bus conversion for the other bus?
saying you want it then asking price isn't a very good negotiation tactic man!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to KeiroD Send a message via Yahoo to KeiroD Send a message via Skype™ to KeiroD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
saying you want it then asking price isn't a very good negotiation tactic man!
... I will have to learn to negotiate better.

Obviously as you noted, I'm not a very good negotiator. :P
KeiroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #13

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
What's the story on the Wanderlodge?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
Any bus with a properly raised roof is worth $2000 more than is was before.

Nat
A bus like anything else is only worth what someone will give for it.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Wanderlodge needs work also, but there is no way to put a motorcycle inside it, school bus is getting bare minimum to classify it as a motor home so I can carry bikes inside, t he reason for the handicap lift
Old 08-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
A bus like anything else is only worth what someone will give for it.
True.

However, you lack the understanding on how necessary and nice a properly done roof raise is.

Everyone that walks into my bus loves the ceiling height and vaulted design. It's the first thing they comment on.

Next is the Massive Windows and the Real Door, that would not be possible without the roof raise.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
True.

However, you lack the understanding on how necessary and nice a properly done roof raise is.

Everyone that walks into my bus loves the ceiling height and vaulted design. It's the first thing they comment on.

Next is the Massive Windows and the Real Door, that would not be possible without the roof raise.

Nat
Umm, Everyone that walks into my conversion loves what I have done to it too. They are amazed at how much room there is and what can be built from a bus. They love the woodwork, the floor plan, the roomy shower.
Your other comment was that a bus with a roof raise is worth $2000 more than one without. Myself and others I know would not give a dime for a vehicle where work was done that altered the original structure.
Appearance is another piece of it. Some people would pay more for a car that is original and others would pay more for a car that is custom. Some might say they love a bus that has lights and a dance pole and might even pay more for it. Some might not. My comment was that something is only worth what someone will give for it. In my town, Mecum car auctions don't get the same money for a vehicle as it does in other towns.
You gotta have a buyer, they have to have the money and want to spend it and have to want the vehicle.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Nat, to each his own. Lets stop the bickering. Comments like, "However, you lack the understanding on how necessary and nice a properly done roof raise is." don't have a place in a forum where everyone gets along.
I don't live under a rock; I've seen custom homes, RVs, buses, cars, bikes, etc. I've built custom vehicles and restored vehicles. Everyone here builds their own bus their way. No way is perfect or the only way.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
It's a free market kinda thing. My wife and I don't have the resources required to do a well engineered and properly done roof raise. We talked about it for over two years, weighed the possibilities and researched what is required. Figuring out the resources we lack would make the build less-than-desirable and more of a safety hazard than a cubic foot boon, we opted out. Without the proper resources or finances required dictated our ultimate decision. We admired Mr. Bailey's raise, as well as several others. But to say everyone needs to raise a roof is to disregard the builder's limitations, for whatever reasons, and substitute a judgmental verdict. There are pros and cons to each decision. I just try to do the best I can with what I have earned, and/or been granted, or given.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

If I were going to live in the bus, a raised roof would be needed, but since I only plan on using it a couple of times a year as mainly a tent replacement and bike hauler, I can stoop over to walk through it, at 6 foot 6 inches, I can not even walk through my Bluebird Wanderlodge without ducking, it is 6' 3" inside, good enough for 99.9% of the people to fit in