Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   School Bus Conversion Resources > Skoolie General Forums > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2022, 05:51 PM   #1

Year: 1956
Selling: Fully Converted 1956 International Harvester - Converted in 1970 - $120k obo

Hi there and thanks for checking out this listing.

I am posting this for a good friend of mine (who is the owner and builder of this bus).

It is largely because of this that I would like to ask that any serious inquires or questions be directed to the contact page on the bus' custom website. I may be able to answer certain questions via this forum if there are any.

GraceTheEnchantedBus.com

This bus was originally built up in the 70's, and is truly a magical piece of art, as well as a functional, driving home.

Here is the information from the home page of the website that contains all of the background about Grace, this bus:

Grace, The Enchanted Bus, sanctuary for the spirit and home for the soul has been completely renovated and is ready for sale in Santa Cruz, California.

The bus is a 1956 five window International Harvester bus made into a two story home with a back porch.

She has much to offer, being a proven practical, efficient, and simple lifestyle. Mortgage free.

Live with nature… if fire comes, etc, she is reliably ready to roll.

With a brand new paint job, she is looking amazing. Inside, the craftsmanship is exquisite. The bus has oiled clear fir tongue and groove from the 1940’s called Thriftite. There is redwood trim, and the floors are oak. There are functional antiques throughout including kitchenware for a fully equipped kitchen. Antique Wedgewood cookstove with oven. There is an oak fold-up table for four. Much storage throughout. The bus has a twelve drawer chest that is removable and stackable to form a tool chest/ bench for on sight job.Very efficient Wood or gas heating and cooking. The skylight affords excellent temperature and air flow control. The bus is well insulated. Climb up to a queen bed loft with a full opening window, or climb up into the forward living room loft. Can sleep four comfortably with one more in the window seat below.

For a refrigerator, an outside unit will be needed. The bus has an antique oak ice box that can be electrified.

Lighting is 12v solar or 110v wall outlet.

Toilet not included. An odorless outhouse composter works very well.

Stagecoach antique bath tub can be used inside, on back porch or ground. Fun

Bus holds 55 gallons of water and no holding tanks to empty.

The back porch has ten ft. ceilings which can be enclosed with lattice and real tarpaulin ( included) for more private dining and bathing. A table pulls out above the galvanized wood storage bin. The porch floor can also be utilized as a workbench when standing on the ground with its antique vice and water spigot for cooling a weld or rinsing hands and feet. Also, the stained glass dutch door with it’s wide shelf nicely connects kitchen to porch table and is great for ventilation with privacy.

Mechanics:

The bus is in perfect running order. An original BD 264 rebuilt gasoline tractor engine with only 4000 miles since rebuilt. wow!

Top speed 50 mph max @ 2800 RPM

Handles beautifully: not top heavy.

The bus operates within its load limit of 17,000 lbs.

Height: 12.6 ft

New or Rebuilt:

Voltage regulator, carburetor, starter, generator, deep cycle battery, clutch and throw-out bearing.

5 speed transmission with granny 1st gear.

Original emergency brake (weak like they all were back then)

U joints. New brake lines. turned drums and new brake linings. Vacuum boost.

All 5 brake cylinders, The differential. Re-arced springs. All new wheel bearings. Synthetic lubricants throughout.

All new LED tail lights.

All new fuel system including 30 gallon tank( empty and never used). Gets 5 mpg.

Spare Parts Included:

Both rear axels, drive lines, same engine dismantled, radiator, generator, starter, gaskets, steering box and column, entire front end and all springs. Bus includes detailed vintage manuals and all receipts.

Price:

This is a one of a kind treasure, an art piece and a home. I and other professionals have worked on restoring it for the last four years to be able to pass it along to the right persons. I feel the bus is worth $150,000 as functional one of a kind art. Two persons plus materials working on it four years came to $60,000. That said, the most important thing to me is to find the right home for the bus. I would be open to selling it for $120,000 or best offer. If you want the bus, please email me.

Grace could use a roof over her head to protect from sun and rain. The roof and upper sides are galvanized sheet metal.With regular care and maintenance, she will love you back with her beautiful character. This bus is endless fun, magnetic, seductive, sexy, sexy, especially standing in the skylight.

In closing, my vision for the new owner is a marvelous tiny home that could be set up anywhere and can dependably start up and drive away if fire etc. It also does very well in an earthquake because its spring mounted. I feel it is a perfect moveable home for these times. If have questions or are interested, let’s talk. Please contact me, Leaf, using the form on the ‘Contact’ page.

Transporting:

Although the bus runs very well, I strongly suggest, unless you live locally in the Santa Cruz area, that you have it trailered to your destination. This will be at your expense. I have had good experiences with a local transporting company that is well suited for this job. I have made arrangements to this end.

Again, if you are interested in this bus, please use the contact page / form on the bus' website: gracetheenchantedbus.com

Thank you so much
Attached Thumbnails
E6B12BC1-4B36-475C-9578-859F3B021232.jpg   7C81FD40-0ADB-4AAC-8490-ABAEF9DA47A0.jpg   12051AC7-FD3F-41CE-BF99-EBE02E29A48E.jpg   B4AEBE0A-0A5A-47BB-A1B2-E689F469857C_1_201_a.jpg   9D01CF79-1DFC-4FE2-B959-890D1FC32B91.jpg  

233A585B-FC2A-4DF7-9ABB-35EF344AD49B_1_201_a.jpg   97853AA5-7F50-45CA-858D-6D42A779EBB4.jpg   119A59AB-1BC8-4DBC-B24D-0EC2242C0949.jpg  

GraceTheEnchantedBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #2

Year: 1956
Price Reduced: $60,000

Hi, I'm new to using Skoolie.net's' forums, and am not sure how to edit the original thread.
The price of this bus has been reduced to $60,000.

Here are the thoughts on the price reduction:
This is a one of a kind treasure, an art piece and a home. I and other professionals have worked on restoring it for the last four years to be able to pass it along to the right persons. I feel the bus is worth $150,000 as functional one of a kind art. Two persons plus materials working on it four years came to $60,000. I have realized that it is of more value to me, to see Grace going to the right folks. The people that are in great need and young people that are typically short on cash. It is for that reason I am pricing her at cost of my last four years efforts and materials. The price is $60,000. If you want the bus, please email me.

Thanks!
GraceTheEnchantedBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
this is a neat looking bus! inside reminds me of a vintage rail caboose or lounge
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:56 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this is a neat looking bus! inside reminds me of a vintage rail caboose or lounge

Neat looking old bus with no holding tanks so its only good for use in a camp ground or parked on a lot with electric, sewer, and water.
And the seller is representing that it runs fine but also recommending it be move on a trailer?
Oh and a $60,000 reduction a month after it's posted?

My spidey senses are maxing out. So are the bright red flags.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:55 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Neat looking old bus with no holding tanks so its only good for use in a camp ground or parked on a lot with electric, sewer, and water.
And the seller is representing that it runs fine but also recommending it be move on a trailer?
Oh and a $60,000 reduction a month after it's posted?

My spidey senses are maxing out. So are the bright red flags.

you and me both!!! but hey they almost ran me out of dodge for calling out a high priced rig so you know I had to refrain....
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
But there is more... You have to factor in inflation too.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
But there is more... You have to factor in inflation too.
What? They charge to inflate the tires?
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Beautiful bus no doubt.

You guys have me laughing!