Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Year: 94
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3L V8
Rated Cap: 12
Selling my Short Bus!

Hey guys! I'm planning on selling my 1994 Ford E-350 7.3L Diesel Mid Bus, shortie. I bought the bus for $1,000 in 2009 and put a little over $5,000 of work into it - not the best investment I've ever made. This includes a new alternator, radiator, starter, break lines/hoses, refurbished instrument cluster, and refurbished transmission (that was $3,000+). Since replacing those items, the bus has been very reliable and enjoyable on long trips with up to 12 passengers. We've had multiple trips with no break downs to Ohio and Northern Michigan (longest trip was 500 miles round trip in 1 day).

Issues I have...
1. Odometer issue... when I bought the bus, the instrument cluster said there was roughly 150,000 miles on the engine (not bad for a 7.3L). When we replaced the instrument cluster (with a used one), it also inherited the miles of whichever vehicle that cluster originated. The shop that replaced it for me informed me there was no way to roll the odometer back to the original amount. So... how do I prove the mileage, assuming the original cluster was correct? We've out about 6,000 miles on it over the last few years.

2. I'm not sure how much the bus is really worth... would it be more beneficial to scrap parts, since the transmission (alone) is very valuable, or would I get more out of the package deal?

3. I really don't want to sell it, since I'd be selling it most likely at a loss and I still enjoy owning and using the bus. I really just don't use the thing that much to be paying the insurance and maintenance costs. I also live in a condo and have the bus parked at a friends house... this means I use it even less (out of sight, out of mind). I originally bought the bus to transport my mountain biking team to different events in one vehicle, but usually this is hard to coordinate or is inefficient depending on the destination.

Interesting notes:
- gets about 10mpg
- $50/mo insurance (minimum state of Michigan coverage) through GMAC (not a perfect driving record)
- we removed the wheelchair lift (wasn't working)
- we removed the original bus seats and bolted down van benches - see picture

So I'm looking for some input... If someone wants to buy it - give me an offer - lol... I'll deliver for a nominal fee!

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

NEW TRANS

Kindof hard to see, but there are 2-three passenger benches facing eachother (originally from a large SUV), then there is a 4 passenger bench seat from a passenger van facing forward. We also (not sure on legality) throw a love seat in the cargo area to get an extra 2-3 passengers seated comfortably.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Selling my Short Bus!

my wild guess is that with the recent tranny it would probably bring around 3K here with at least one of the seats out, and looking more like a bus inside. Tranny should be worth 1k if it has the paperwork and done by a professional. If it has fiberglass body, scrap yards aint real hot about lotsa of that when they are paying for steel.. so parts for sale, and value for resale would be about the same i thimk.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalkchuck
Is 10mpg about average for a bus like this? I'm looking for a one for a touring band, but am totally new to it. Would you sell for $2500?
Depending on the amount of hills + weight-but yes-10 mpg is about normal for a 1st gen Powerstroke. (94-97)

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Keep the speed down to 65 and it will manage 12-14.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #5

Are you still looking at selling the bus? If so where is it located at? I'm in Nebraska and am willing to travel quite a ways. Let me know!
rpbdjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

she looks nice!!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

sorry for the LATE reply everyone... The bus is still for sale... I'm looking to get at least $3,000 out of it. We've never done the hard calculations on MPG but 10 was my estimate - I'm sure you could do better or convert to veggie oil/whatever to make it run more cost efficient. Please call me if you're seriously interested - the bus is in MICHIGAN - about 30 mins from Detroit.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/2936992559.html
Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract
Still looking for a buyer?
Yeah! I actually just posted it on eBay and Craigslist again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-E-S ... 2a1d3a9f3b

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/3006438455.html