Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55
Selling off-grid skoolie, solar powered, live anywhere

I'm trying to sell my 1997 Ford B-800 school bus conversion motorhome. It has a 5.9L Cummins turbo diesel engine and an Allison automatic transmission. It has a 50 gallon fuel tank and gets somewhere between 7-10 mpg depending on load. Mileage reads approximately 183,000 mi. Gross weight is 17,000 lbs (8.5 tons). Interior living space measures approximately 7.5' x 30' (minus cab/engine area).

It has been re-titled as a "motorhome" so you don't need a CDL to drive it. As for the vehicle, it is 36' long, 8' wide, and 11' tall, including the solar panels and chimney. I recently replaced almost all of the service and emergency brake (hydraulic) lines (about $300 in parts), and the brakes work like a champ.

It's a nice bus, nothing fancy, but has everything you need. Includes a chest-style refrigerator, microwave, pantry shelving, 6-seater dinette, wood stove (for heating and cooking), large stainless steel counter and sink, 55-gallon water storage tank, composting toilet (sawdust bucket with urine diversion), and 4 adult-sized bunk beds.

Electricity is powered by 6 x 250 watt (1.5kW total) solar panels on the roof, so you don't need to ever plug in. Power storage includes 8 x 6V high quality deep cycle golf cart batteries, 928 amp-hours total. Includes a 75A MPPT solar charge controller (maximizing power output), 3000 watt modified sine wave inverter (plenty for power tools, microwave, fridge, and more). There are 12V DC and 120V AC power outlets throughout. Solar panels are adjustable for maximum tilt (each season) per the sun.

Water is stored in an indoor 55 gallon storage tank, so it can last and you can re-fill every few weeks from a nearby water source or just carry water in 5 gallon buckets and transfer to the storage tank.

Wood stove is made from thick (3/16") sheet metal, lined with 2 1/2 inch firebricks for radiant heat. Fresh air is drawn from outside through ductwork that goes through the floor.

With portable power, water, toilet, heat, and cooking, this is a great chance at living off-the-grid virtually anywhere. Live bill-free.

It's partially insulated and has potential for cold winter living. We lived in upstate NY in a wooded area this past winter just using the woodstove.

With plenty of project potential, it's a great project for the DIYer.

Includes the OEM Ford B-800 repair manuals.

Looking for $9,250. With that asking price includes:
- $4,000 original purchase price of school bus
- Emergency and service brake line replacement ($300)
- Interior work to re-title as motorhome (sink, power, microwave, beds, etc ~$1,000)
- Large wood stove with triple wall stainless steel chimney ($750)
- Solar panels, deep cycle batteries, inverter and charge controller ($3,500)

The right passenger windshield is cracked and needs replacement (just happened) - I had it quoted at $250, so that is accounted for in my asking price. However, it doesn't at all affect visibility when driving (the driver's windshield is fine).

If you don't need/want the solar panels, batteries, inverter and charge controller, I can keep those and deduct $3,500 off the sale price.

I am located in Cherry Hill, NJ, approximately 10 minutes east of Philadelphia and 2 hours southwest from NYC.

tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote