Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 03:35 AM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Diesel
Rated Cap: 65 adults
Arrow Soldier Looking For BUS to make my Skoolie

Thanks For taking the time to read,
I am a Soldier at wounded warrior battalion in Hawaii. I am going to be medically retired and heading back to Northern California ( San Francisco) to try and go to school full time. I want to make an off grid skoolie my new home. Trouble is I haven't found a bus at all. And my budget isn't crazy high. I want a diesel international or front engine just cause they have the most living room inside. I don't have a lot of cash to spend but I will have a reasonable amount. I don't plan to lowball or ask for favors. Just any hints or a fair price. I really just need some help as I might be back on the mainland in 60-90 days. I really have no idea -Uncle Sam controls the trigger pull.

Thanks for any tips, leads or info.

NoobSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Welcome to the site and thank you for your service. This website has a lot of great reading and ideas. Also very helpful members. There are several great buys on buses out west and I'm certain you'll find a good rust free one to start with. As a fellow vet I'd also suggest getting ahold of the DAV when you get home. Those folks have been extremely helpful in my life.

Best wishes, if ya need anything feel free to PM me.
Mike
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Used buses in CA tend to cost more than in any other state.

Check Craigslist in AZ, NM, NV, OR, and WA. Those states, particularly WA, tend to spe'c their buses with more minimum spe'c's than other states. On average, a brand new school bus in WA costs about $15,000.00 more than most other states because of everything that has to be "standard" that is optional in most other states.

What that means is, on average, WA state spe'c buses have higher minimum standards for HP, fuel tank size, and driver amenities like heated mirrors and adjustable steering columns/pedals. But when the buses come up for sale used the pricing is not that different from other states.

You will also find that western buses have virtually no rust other than surface rust.

The buses with the most interior volume are Type 'D' buses (also know as transit type with the service door in front of the front axle). Because the engine is either in a dog house next to the driver, under the floor in the middle of the bus, or behind the rear axle the total length of the bus is inside.

There is a lot of discussion about which bus body or engine or transmission is best. Most of the discussion is the sort of Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar sort of discussion.

But what almost everyone can agree upon is the importance of purchasing a bus that is set up to do what you want rather than trying to upgrade the power package later. A bus that is set up for trips is already set up to maintain highway speeds. A bus that is set up for nothing but routes will struggle to maintain highway speeds but will climb up a gravel road in the mountains without breaking a sweat.

Good luck with your relocation and thank you for your service.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5 speed Manual
Rated Cap: 35
Hey there, I've bought two busses and both time were on a website called public surplus. All you have to do is make an account and then bid on your bus. It's pretty easy and I've been able to get really fair prices. There are other government auction sites you can find as well.

Let us know how your search goes!
Old 02-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #5

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Depending on where you plan to hang your hat, the cost of the bus will be the least of your worries. If you are within 100 miles of the SF Bay Area, finding a spot for a reasonable price will be very difficult.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Welcome--- Always good to have another Vet here. You might consider checking with local/area school districts. They often sell direct and can provide a full maintenance record for any unit. Worth it's weight in gold to know a buses history.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome; It's sounding like an awful lot of us are broken old vets. I wonder what's the psychology behind this and buses?
Personally I have trouble functioning normally for more than a few hours and having a home that goes with me will allow me to do things as simple as longer shopping trips, not to mention traveling, and being able to rest when I need to. It might have been easier and even more acceptable to just get a motorhome, but not as much fun.
Just a thought; there are trailer parks. Considering many of the commercial camping areas don't like schoolies, maybe we should start bus parks?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Don't call them "Bus Parks." Call them SKOOLIE PARKS. Rules for admission?

1. Be a converted bus or a work-in-progress.
2. Be older than 10 years.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I think we should discriminate against motor homes and camp trailers.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

AMEN! Turn about is fair play. They discriminate against us, why not us them?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Hey, wait. Under your rules I might not be able to qualify for my own schoolie park. I think a conversion is hooking up internet and satellite tv, a barrel of spring water, an apartment size fridge, a few file cabinets and a desk. I'm pretty much all electric if I'm someplace I can plug in, otherwise I'm on propane. My conversion is so light that in about 45 minutes this could actually be a school bus again. When I'm out in the woods I like to be able to see 360* around me. I was clearly seeing the error of my ways for leaving all this glass while it was darn cold outside, but since I've become complacent about covering windows again. I'm happy I got that top emergency hatch It stop dripping all the time. So yeah, it's converted. Registered as a van because it is.
If I go to Alaska you can bet I'll insulate the begebees out of this thing first.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Nope. You'd fit in nicely, but you'd have to bring your own satellite dishes. We'll provide a water source (near the Yellowstone River) and electricity. We'll arrange for delivery of propane.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #13
Bus Geek

That sounds pretty. You wouldn't happen to be in the cauldera of that super volcano, would you?
For about a grand you can have a mobile dish system that automatically finds the satellite. If you want to watch tv while you're driving you'll have to get the more expensive system, plus you'll need cruse control. Just put it on cruise then go in back and make coffee.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #14
Bus Geek

You know, all you guys with your fancy pants solar panels are going to look pretty silly when I attach a water wheel to the side of my bus.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #15
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Govdeals.com has some good deals from all over the country.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
AMEN! Turn about is fair play. They discriminate against us, why not us them?
The problem is we are better than they are, and they know it...
Old 02-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Yeah, GovLiquidation scares me sometimes to see the things the government is getting rid of, but there are some really great deals on the other hand.

There is a 2008 8.3l Navistar engine for sale in Herlong, CA. Sounds like an engine someone needs. Event ID 14519 Lot Number 8935

And for motor park discrimination consider this. You can back a bus into the brush, but try doing that with a motor home without poking the skin full of holes.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:12 AM   #18

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Diesel
Rated Cap: 65 adults
searching..

Still on the hunt. I did find one that I am bidding on the government auction site but it doesn't close til 24th. thanks for all the advice! YeaH going to the Bay Area. I really just want the freedom to travel and I don't think I deal with conventional life lol. seems like most iraq/afghan vet like me are the same. Vets are the same the crazy world changed ha/
NoobSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:38 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSkool View Post
Still on the hunt. I did find one that I am bidding on the government auction site but it doesn't close til 24th. thanks for all the advice! YeaH going to the Bay Area. I really just want the freedom to travel and I don't think I deal with conventional life lol. seems like most iraq/afghan vet like me are the same. Vets are the same the crazy world changed ha/
I got out in 13, and i tell you what, even as a none combat vet I dont like conventional life either.
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #20
Skoolie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSkool View Post
Where I am buying mine the guy has another like what you are looking for.
And the price is fair. I have already checked it all out..
3116 ca't engine with a automatic.floor feels pretty good, frame looks good
Body has 2 very small rust spots in from of each rear wheel..
Tires set on bud wheels and are pretty good..it cane from a local Oklahoma
School in the middle of the state...not a big salt area..a good fixer upper.
I will talk to him this morning..

Tags
california, wanted