Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2022, 08:27 PM   #1

Exclamation split door

any help in splitting the back of bus into two doors. trying to make a toy hauler with my utv inside cover up.. how to cut and seal it to keep it dry and locking it up.. thanks

kodiak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
There's a youtube video on hinging the whole back. Just search under 'ridiculously difficult skoolie challenges'.

Kidding about the search term of course. You got some engineering work ahead of you, and that assumes there is no structural rust in the hinge areas.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
I want to say somebody did that except they completely fabricated the doors from scratch. They looked like carriage doors. Maybe somebody will see this and remember who.

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:13 PM   #4
Bus Nut

You can also go look at enclosed trailers to see how they do it. When I finally get around to mine, which is about 10 projects down before I actually buy a bus, I'm looking at duplicating one of those RVs that has a garage large enough to haul a car in the back. I have ideas on how to make this happen, but my welding needs to get a LOT better in the next 2 years.

Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

You can also go look at enclosed trailers to see how they do it. When I finally get around to mine, which is about 10 projects down before I actually buy a bus, I'm looking at doing a skoolie version of one of those RVs that has a garage large enough to haul a car in the back. I have ideas on how to make this happen, but my welding needs to get a LOT better in the next 2 years.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:22 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
You can also go look at enclosed trailers to see how they do it. When I finally get around to mine, which is about 10 projects down before I actually buy a bus, I'm looking at duplicating one of those RVs that has a garage large enough to haul a car in the back. I have ideas on how to make this happen, but my welding needs to get a LOT better in the next 2 years.
To me, that seems like one of those things where even though I am capable of MIG, TIG, and Stick welding... I'd just as soon find some career welder and pay him the $200 bucks or whatever he asks to do that job. Sure, I could probably manage it myself, but I'd rather find some quasi-retired guy that did Oil- & Gas- field welding or something like that, and just pay them to make it done right.

Because you never know what kind of tricks or whatever they might have in their back pocket to make it better.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:20 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
To me, that seems like one of those things where even though I am capable of MIG, TIG, and Stick welding... I'd just as soon find some career welder and pay him the $200 bucks or whatever he asks to do that job. Sure, I could probably manage it myself, but I'd rather find some quasi-retired guy that did Oil- & Gas- field welding or something like that, and just pay them to make it done right.

Because you never know what kind of tricks or whatever they might have in their back pocket to make it better.
No worries. While I'm a firm believer in doing it yourself, there are some jobs best left to professionals. I seriously doubt my welding will ever be good enough.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:12 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
kodiac jack, mmmmm I have done that, bought another door and cut a foot out of it, took a foot out of each side of the rear, made them frenched so I can get my bagger in the back. Should be a pic or 2 in my sportyrick gallery. Ended up being 58 1/2 wide, 53 tall. Of course I can send you some more pics if need be. I also installed a lift gate instead of driving them up a uhaul ramp like I used to do.
Attached Thumbnails
busredo6.jpg  
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:39 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post

I looked at those, my GT1 won't fit on the ramp
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:47 AM   #10

thanks for your time in replying to me. think i have to go bigger ..l o l want to run my utv in the back. I have to do more measuring.. was thinking of the split to the roof and hinged to the walls of the bus sidewall.. love the lift idea..... jack
kodiak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 03:15 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
cutting the rear out of the bus will severely weaken it, no right to left strength. you will have to greatly re-enforce both sides at the back. That's why I left the upper part and welded a 2x2 tube above the opening to re-inforce the opening.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:39 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Tall Split Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak_jack View Post
thanks for your time in replying to me. think i have to go bigger ..l o l want to run my utv in the back. I have to do more measuring.. was thinking of the split to the roof and hinged to the walls of the bus sidewall.. love the lift idea..... jack
‐--------------------

I was viewing Big Dog RV Services Yelp page, mentioned in another thread here:
(https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/t...tml#post470594)
and saw a picture of a bus converted similarly to what you have described for your utv.
Sort of look like Maternity or Psych Ward doors.
Attached Thumbnails
BigDogRVmod.jpg  
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:58 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
2003, on the rear of our rig, I fabricated a steel wall with a steel door.
This's as burglar-proof as I could make it.
I am a semi-retired welder-fabricator; although I am satisfied with my creation, I see no way to weather-seal a double-door wall leading into a living space.
* A series of horizontal hinges -- aircraft hangar -- requires an enormous amount of structure to support that yuge hole in the wall.
* A series of vertical hinges could be easier, but the swing would be invasive.
Either way, how will you lock the multiple flexing flexible sections?
For our second-to-latest conversion -- a 40' semi-trailer -- I fussed with a hundred different ways to craft double doors.
My limited imagination could not conjure a satisfactory method to duplicate my burglar-proof entry to the rig, so I went with a yuge single door.
A garage going into a living space, the door rattles would drive me whacko.
That, plus a vehicle relies on four walls to maintain structure integrity.
By replacing the rear wall with a multi-door system, I question the stability of the rig (I think the same about amateur roof-raisers...).
Of course, with enough time and money, anything can be trans-formed into anything.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220402_123557.jpg   IMG_20220402_124154.jpg  
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote