Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54
Swivel van seat mount.

If you have one and you'd like to get rid of it, I'd be eternally grateful.

Let me know what you want to get it to 56307.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Swivel van seat mount.

I like that quick release as long as the seat belt attaches to the floor, not the seat.

I was just going to fab some up using a simple 1000 pound trailer stub axle. More than strong enough, and cheap. All you need is to weld a plate on the bottom to bolt to the floor, and the seat would bolt to the lug bolts.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Skoolie

The belts mount to the seat, how else would you get it to swivel whilst driving ??

Thousands of these were mounted in vans over the course of a few decades so I would think that it's plenty strong/safe to use the quick release to secure the seat down.

If I don't find one before the bus goes back in the shop to go under the knife again I'm going to build one. It's just too attractive to have the drivers seat easily removable with all the electrical crap and defroster/heater core crammed to the left of it.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Bus Geek

That's. 3/16 and 1/4 steel....if "it" breaks I don't want to be in it when it hits something big and heavy enough to break it.....I'm pretty sure whatever is occupying the first 10 feet of the coach,would make sure you don't remember it.

Looks like weak link would be the dowel pin,it breaks/shears... then the "rails" come into play....it does slid into rails,to locate bottom "U" and then slids and then latches....if that is how it works...id driv it

Oh and why do "you" need it to swivel when driving?....so you can make a sammich?

On pirate years ago someone built some out of dom tubing,grease fittings and all,very cheap and worked great
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Skoolie

Haha, no need to swivel while driving and I can just holler behind me for a sammich ;)

I was thinking of keeping the swivel so you can turn sideways and use that seat as more space whilst parked.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Bus Geek

that's what Lisa wants, so I am redoing front seat (also she wants it about 3" lower so she can see out windshield better)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamper
If you have one and you'd like to get rid of it, I'd be eternally grateful.

Let me know what you want to get it to 56307.

If the front of the seat is to the left, it would be plenty strong. If the front is to the right, there is no way I would trust that little tap of steel on the twist handle.

I've had a few vans with the swivel seats. What I didn't like was when I loaned it to a friend and he hit a approach. It sheered the 3/8th center bolt right off, spewing all the little ball bearings everywhere. The steering wheel is all that saved him from being ejected through the windshield.

Things hitting the back of the seat in a forward impact would make it worse. When I drove tow truck, there was a fatality at only 80kmh due to a ceramic diner plate hitting the man it the back of the head.

Be safe guys. Just my opinion.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote