Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

The Bus I Wish I Had The Balls To Go Ahead And Get

The title says it all, lol. I hope no one here swoops it up. But since I am new to busses and diesel in general; if anyone talks to the guy and has an opinion on if its a good deal or a rip off feel free to help a gal out and kick me some knowledge
http://modesto.craigslist.org/rvs/2827056507.html

DarkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47
Re: The Bus I Wish I Had The Balls To Go Ahead And Get

How long would you have to live in it before it paid for itself? Do you have anywhere to park it for cheap or free?
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Being this old, the bus may need lots of money for maintance. Generator if runs is certainly worth something.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Skoolie

A 3 speed auto? That will be a pig on an incline and top out at 50MPH! And get terrible mileage. It is a cool looking bus though.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

some 3 speed auto trans will do just fine... for example in my last coach, i had a vs2-8 which is the precursor to the 730, and my detroit powered thing would run 72 mph all day long... its the gear ratio of the rear axle and tire circumfrence that dictates speed (engine running at 2200 rpm) if i would have changed out a cat 3208 in there which runs up to 2850 i would get about 20% more speed which would be like 85 or so, and even more if i put on 24.5 tires -- would probably go 90.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hey yall thanks for the replies to get me thinking!
I plan on parking it on my parents property for a little while while I get a solar rv kit and try to install it myslef so that living in the bus will be easier without paying for campgrounds each night. My credit is **** so I can't rent an 'apartment' so the bus will quickly pay for itself compared to paying 800-1000 a month for a studio hotel. I basically need something I can live in now and get a few states away where I have a job offer since the economy here in CA sucks so much.
As for being slow, I used to love my westfalia and never drove it faster than 55. I live in the right lane when on the freeway I am a bit aprehensive about driving a bus ten feet longer than a westy though! I will probably invest in a few additional mirrors, lol.
As for maintanence I would rather pay a few hundred each month getting basic maintanence done after I start working. I just wish I could know if the engine was going to fail within the next thousand miles, but if I had that skill I'd probaby be able to afford a much better bus.
Also, is there any way to get a mechanic to go evaluate it and inspect what is wrong? I'm in the central valley of CA just south of Sacramento but would feel silly emailing a bunch of shops if this is something that is not regularly done. Heck is anyone on here in the area?
DarkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1956
Coachwork: pacific
Chassis: t216
Engine: 160 cummins turbo

There,s a good diesel shop on old golden state 99 in turlock. bout the same distance to modesto from waterford..With all the ranch's and farms in the area.. Probably a local mobile mech.
56 k/w is offline   Reply With Quote