Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 01:56 AM   #61
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
They're not trying to save the planet, they're trying to reduce the emissions that cause smog, which is a big problem in California. And actually they're not trying to reduce these emissions, they're doing it - as much as we hate the post-2003 engines because they're financial time bombs, the NOx emissions (that cause smog) of newer engines are orders of magnitude lower (yet they have the same output of greenhouse gases as older engines, so no world-saving is occurring because of CARB regulations).
BUT... that mentality is spreading. Many localities outside of CANCER!fornia (oops, damn autocorrect) are passing anti-idling laws targeting diesel vehicles over 5 tons GVWR. Which mean that most skoolies would be subject.

Also, I considered this a major PITA when I was driving OTR. Most carriers would not invest in APUs because they did not keep the trucks long enough to be worth the effort. That meant I had to risk a fine to stay comfortable so I could rest well (and be fit to drive the next shift), or have a restless sleep in a blazing hot or freezing cold sleeper bunk. Electric factory APUs don't cut it and are largely unreliable. Interestingly, those with a pet on board were exempt, imagine that. SCREW the driver, but we simply MUST keep Fido cool....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Angry Duck.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	49171

But back to CANCER!fornia (there goes that damned autocorrect again). They are now requiring DPF / DEF systems in refrigerated trailers coming into the state. These are 2-and-4-cylinder diesels of sub 2-liter range, folks.

Everyone here knows that this crap is bad news with a chassis engine. Are we taking bets on whether these things will even run when there's a problem? I'm predicting a whole lot of product going bad due to these things shutting down, thus driving up food prices in CA before too long. But CANCER!fornia (damn you, autocorrect) will not see the folly of their logic until they're paying $8 a gallon for milk, $20 for a dozen eggs, $8 for frozen dinners, $10 a pound for meats and vegetables...

Trucking carriers were already charging more for freight or going under due to unreliability of DPF/DEF engines. Wait until entire loads of refrigerated and frozen foods are written off due to emission-equipped reefer units shutting down. But as I say, if brains were gasoline, some folks couldn't run a p*ss-ant's go-kart two laps around a dadgum Cheerio. And as my father used to say, the people who make these policies are sexual intellectuals - think they know it all and don't know a f**king thing.

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:41 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
The most ridiculously overpriced / price gougey for sale ad I've come across

When I first made this post over a year ago, the bus was priced at 115k, a year and some later I found it still up for sale, now down to 68k.. Slowly they are coming back down to earth

https://slo.craigslist.org/rvs/d/san...397386142.html
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:43 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
LOL in the text it says 72k OBO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
When I first made this post over a year ago, the bus was priced at 115k, a year and some later I found it still up for sale, now down to 68k.. Slowly they are coming back down to earth

https://slo.craigslist.org/rvs/d/san...397386142.html
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote