Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuja View Post
This would be awesome, but unfortunately with both of us on calls throughout the day, we need a bit more space to create privacy. We also might be taking a family member with us so the additional space would be helpful
Of course. I post those for the other 200 people reading, just like this one is not for you either, just noting a $25k unfinished worn out old school bus looks insane, when you can the 55k mile shuttle bus if you are a DIYer, if not this 75k mile motorhome for $9k...... just not for those infected with the Partridge Family Virus.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
That's very helpful to know. I've been concerned about heat retention but also cooling down and staying cool in hot weather. What's your experience? Thanks for sharing!
Well we live in NC and it's hot as Balls

I am originally from the UK and despite being here a long damn tie I still hate the humidity and complain a lot

That being said our vista came factory with darkened glass in the rears and a white painted roof.

We kept all our windows, we do not "live" in our bus, it is a vacation machine. We don't feel hotels "really have clean sheets" and I save more $ to play when we bring our place with us and sleep in our own filth

I have a 14k roof air con on the top, and with the windows closed up and if need the heavy shades drawn we are fine.
But more surprising unless it gets into stupid temps like 37C outside the interior of the bus with the windows down is not an easybake oven as I expected. It's hot, but I don't die and with the fan on its not bad. Air con is better of course.

We don't have road air con (yet) and we drove to West Virgina and it was like 30c at least and all we had were the windows open and the two leccy fans came with the bus blow on our faces. I actually turned mine off. We were not dying and a front engine vista I thought surely we would be from what some folks were telling me.

winter we've only gone down as -6c so far but the heater had no problems and once warmed up it kicked down to low and putted all night that way.

diesel heater is a IMHO a must. Best bang for the buck. I put it in first as we were building during winter last year

Right now some are saying I should do the Henry tropicool latex stuff on top but I don't think I will since the roof is already white. That stuff has mixed results and also needs to be re-applied I hear. I am lazy
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Any ideas on how to add? I'm not sure I followed the second thought you shared
This is a really a very basic build bus and over priced for what's there, yes it has a water system but what is it really? Just a portable water bottle under the counter with a little 12v pump and a second container for the sink drain? So can you adapt it? Sure but at what expense? Porta potty toilet? No holding tank? Not great for boon docking. Yes it has a fridge but not really. Yes a new fridge is $1500 but guess what now you need propane lines and air inlet vents and air exhaust roof vents and someone to cut holes in your roof and wall and a cabinet to install that fridge in and all of that takes lots of time and money. What I see is a very expensive camper that someone put together real fast and cheap with inexpensive components so they could get out on the road, that may work for them but does it work for what you need? Not likely! That's a lot to rework to fit your needs. Will they negotiate? Why should they to fit your needs when they might sell it to someone who likes it just the way it is. Don't try and pound that square peg in the round hole too hard. If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit.
Just my two cents
Good luck.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 28ft
I've seen your replies around here and I would love your insight. Still waiting for engine hours. It's DT466E w/ MD3060. Thoughts?
kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
I've seen your replies around here and I would love your insight. Still waiting for engine hours. It's DT466E w/ MD3060. Thoughts?

That's a great combination and a nice looking bus, on the outside. If it were a bare, stock bus I'm guessing it would be a $5,000-$6,000 bus. If you like that length, which we also love, I recently saw a whole bunch of them...newer with good engine/tranny combos...for $7000-$7500. So, I think it comes down to this...does your prospective bus have $20,000 of additional value to you? This, of course, includes both materials and time. But it gives you a basis upon which to make a rational decision and not one of haste or excitement. If you decide it's right for you, using this rationale, then nobody can say you're wrong...because only you know what your time is worth and what your needs are. Personally, though, I think I could do much more with $20,000 for a build - of course, I place no value on my time!
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:09 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Who was this directed at?
See what rossvtaylor has to say, I totally agree with him. I just don't see $17-$20,000 in value in the build plus having to change so much. It's a good looking bus with the right gear and in my opinion that's the size that works for me. My front engine Thomas is 37' overall with 7' of garage in the back for motorcycle. The only thing I couldn't find when shopping was the wheelchair lift for the bike lift so I had to settle. Only you can decide
Good luck.
Stay safe out there

Oscar
Old 01-08-2021, 04:23 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
This is a really a very basic build bus and over priced for what's there, yes it has a water system but what is it really? Just a portable water bottle under the counter with a little 12v pump and a second container for the sink drain? So can you adapt it? Sure but at what expense? Porta potty toilet? No holding tank? Not great for boon docking. Yes it has a fridge but not really. Yes a new fridge is $1500 but guess what now you need propane lines and air inlet vents and air exhaust roof vents and someone to cut holes in your roof and wall and a cabinet to install that fridge in and all of that takes lots of time and money. What I see is a very expensive camper that someone put together real fast and cheap with inexpensive components so they could get out on the road, that may work for them but does it work for what you need? Not likely! That's a lot to rework to fit your needs. Will they negotiate? Why should they to fit your needs when they might sell it to someone who likes it just the way it is. Don't try and pound that square peg in the round hole too hard. If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit.
Just my two cents
Good luck.
Hey Oscar! Sorry for the late reply. You're right, they're absolutely not obligated to work on it or make any changes. I only mentioned mods by the current owner, bc in the listings, they're including finishing the solar in the list price and offering to make change

The main reason I want this one is because of the engine/trans, and I (selfishly) want an excuse to go back to Main
Old 01-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
That's a great combination and a nice looking bus, on the outside. If it were a bare, stock bus I'm guessing it would be a $5,000-$6,000 bus. If you like that length, which we also love, I recently saw a whole bunch of them...newer with good engine/tranny combos...for $7000-$7500. So, I think it comes down to this...does your prospective bus have $20,000 of additional value to you? This, of course, includes both materials and time. But it gives you a basis upon which to make a rational decision and not one of haste or excitement. If you decide it's right for you, using this rationale, then nobody can say you're wrong...because only you know what your time is worth and what your needs are. Personally, though, I think I could do much more with $20,000 for a build - of course, I place no value on my time!
Do you mind showing me where? I've looked on CL, fbook marketplace, etc. I haven't looked at auctions bc I don't have anywhere to work and build a bus from scratch :/

Your point is valid, what value does this bus hold for me? I'm not sure it's 20k either. I generally don't place value on my time either lol but COVID is providing an opportunity that I will never have again. Once things start moving towards normal, I'll be stuck to one location AND working weekends. How fun!

Don't mind my existential crisis lol
Old 01-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Do you mind showing me where? I've looked on CL, fbook marketplace, etc. I haven't looked at auctions bc I don't have anywhere to work and build a bus from scratch :/

Ah, my "saw a bunch of mid-length buses for $7-7500" comment referred to bare buses...these were not converted for that price. Then I was looking at the conversion prices separately. These are at a dealership, so they'll cost more than from an auction, typically...but they may have some mechanical checks done, so that might be worth it. I was recently at Las Vegas Bus Sales and they had probably 10-15 mid-length buses ranging from $6500-$7500. They must have had another 20+ full length buses, some with high roofs, too. But that's all moot if you don't have a place to work on a bus. So, of course, that factors into your value calculation.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #30
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: ISM 10.8L, B400R
First thought while reading through this. Why did people that want to do this for a business go with 7 gallons of water? I can imagine everyone wanting to spend 25k on a bus conversion is going to want way more water. Is it because its so full of bunks there is no more room? I guess that could make sense. They are trying to capitalize on the schoolie craze but I think they missed the mark on this one. Way too much money and I really cant see the value in this one. I am a diy guy and can do all that work, so I am jaded a bit. 15k seems reasonable for someone who cant do the work. I agree with Oscar and believe it or not, benimble on the RV. I hope you are able to calm down and realize this is probably not real doable in 2 weeks to be living in a bus. Everyone comes on here in a hurry, including me. I dont think living in a bus should be rushed. I sure hope everything works out for you.
JamesKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:41 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Hey Oscar! Sorry for the late reply. You're right, they're absolutely not obligated to work on it or make any changes. I only mentioned mods by the current owner, bc in the listings, they're including finishing the solar in the list price and offering to make change

The main reason I want this one is because of the engine/trans, and I (selfishly) want an excuse to go back to Main
No apologies necessary at all. I completely understand how you feel and there are so many factors when deciding on a bus. The price is the price, only you can decide if it's right for you. I shopped for a over a year, I wanted front engine 35'-37' and rear wheelchair lift for the garage. Couldn't make that happen in Canada so started starting looking south of the border and found my bus on gov deals in Washington state, there were 4 of them identical and I bid on all four of them only getting the last one as I was prepared to get it no matter what. I had been invited to the bus yard to view the buses and even had a chance to test drive during auction so after missing out on the first three I set my limit high and made sure I got the last one. I paid $6000, about $2000 more than I should have but I got my bus. The point is that $2000 extra got me my bus and it's a great bus and I'm cruising and camping. In the big picture it's just $2000. You have to decide what's good for you.
Good luck with your search and keep us informed.
Cheers

Oscar
P.S. Would love to see Maine any time of the year.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
No apologies necessary at all. I completely understand how you feel and there are so many factors when deciding on a bus. The price is the price, only you can decide if it's right for you. I shopped for a over a year, I wanted front engine 35'-37' and rear wheelchair lift for the garage. Couldn't make that happen in Canada so started starting looking south of the border and found my bus on gov deals in Washington state, there were 4 of them identical and I bid on all four of them only getting the last one as I was prepared to get it no matter what. I had been invited to the bus yard to view the buses and even had a chance to test drive during auction so after missing out on the first three I set my limit high and made sure I got the last one. I paid $6000, about $2000 more than I should have but I got my bus. The point is that $2000 extra got me my bus and it's a great bus and I'm cruising and camping. In the big picture it's just $2000. You have to decide what's good for you.
Good luck with your search and keep us informed.
Cheers

Oscar
P.S. Would love to see Maine any time of the year.
Hey Oscar, just wanted to update here. I feel like you understood where I was coming from with excitement, etc. We ended up getting it! There was a lot of back and forth, even got outbid by another party! We were able to negotiate a reasonable price with some finishing so while it's higher than I wanted to spend, like you said it's about time vs money. I appreciated your insight into the thought process. Excited to get on the road soon!
Old 01-29-2021, 02:05 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Hey Oscar, just wanted to update here. I feel like you understood where I was coming from with excitement, etc. We ended up getting it! There was a lot of back and forth, even got outbid by another party! We were able to negotiate a reasonable price with some finishing so while it's higher than I wanted to spend, like you said it's about time vs money. I appreciated your insight into the thought process. Excited to get on the road soon!
Congrats! That's fantastic news to hear from you. And you're right I absolutely understood where you were coming from. I hope you get right to work making it right for you and keep everyone here updated as things progress.
Cheers
Stay safe out there

Oscar