Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Tractor Supply Hobart Sale

If anyones looking for a nice lil mig welder, Tractor Supply has the Handler 140 on sale for $469.
GREAT lil welder for the money, I'm very pleased with mine.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...140-mig-welder

Quote:
The Hobart Handler 140 115VAC 60 Hz Welder is MIG-ready with no additional kit required. The Handler 140 is a wire welding package with industrial performance, operating on standard 115V household current. It's extremely versatile and perfect for the welder that wants to work on auto body, household repairs, or even heavier farm projects that require extra power.
Welds 24 gauge to 1/4 inch mild steel
Operates off 115V household current
25-140 A output
Industrial cast aluminum drive system
Built-in contactor eases use and is an excellent safety feature which makes wire electrically "cold" when not welding
Designed and assembled in Troy, OH USA
10 ft. H100S2-10 MIG gun with liner, built-in gas valve, dual gauge regulator and gas hose
10 ft. work cable with clamp
Power cord with plug
Extra .030 in. contact tips
Sample spool of .030 in. flux-cored welding wire
8 in. wire spool adapter
5/3/1 Industrial Warranty

A good price for a great lil machine.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
That's just a bit out of my price range right now. After I get my taxes back I am going to look for one. And buy some stuff for the conversion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Hobart (built by Miller) is a great value and excellent little machine. I spent a good part of yesterday having to weld with an $89.00, Horrible Freight, non-gas shielded piece of crap mig. Man...what an F-ing joke.

I've been welding for years and could not get a real "bead" going no matter what the settings. Nothing but Mud Dabber lumps. If you are going to get a mig welder...get a decent one the first time that is gas shielded. Most everyone I know who has cheaped out eventually wound up dumping them in the trash and buying a real mig.

Just my dos centavos pardners.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
I love my hobbie!! It does really well in any thickness material you would encounter while working on a skoolie! If your serious about getting a nice piece of equipment that won't break the bank, grab this thing. The only down side is that the output control is a five position verses an infinite control.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If anyones looking for a nice lil mig welder, Tractor Supply has the Handler 140 on sale for $469.
GREAT lil welder for the money, I'm very pleased with mine.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...140-mig-welder

A good price for a great lil machine.
I have the same one at work, very good welder.
gbstewart
Old 04-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

My local store even has a dented Bobcat generator/Mig for a few hundred bucks off.

Hell- me, dave and eddie coulda done ALL the welding done on my bus thus far with one of these-
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...re-feed-welder
$200 aint bad for what it is, and sure beats HF any day.

Looks like a HANDY lil sucker!
Old 11-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Figured I'd follow up on this.
I've used the hobart for lots of small jobs and projects here and there and this lil guy has performed flawlessly.
For the money, its an absolutely stellar unit. Easy to use, easy to take care of.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Super deal. Hobarts are made by Miller as their "value" line. And they have been upgrade with better parts in the last few years to the point there is very little difference except in price. Great little welders.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so I probably should learn to weld better.. and own my own welder.. maybe?? what do you guys think? do I need a welder with the stuff I do?

there are 2 posted in this thread.. which one?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Bus Geek

The value of owning a welder is hard to pin down. Migs are so cheap and easy to learn that in very short order you will be fabricating or fixing things in all manner of metal. I have taught housewives how to weld in a couple of hours and they now kick butt with their own machines.

Anytime you are passing through Houston I'll be happy to give you an intro course. I'm no master of the craft but it has certainly opened a lot of doors and made for some really fun projects.

I say Go For IT! And, if you do, go for a name brand,gas shielded rig. You'll be glad you did.

PS...all of my sculpture requires a welded steel armature/framework and I own (and love) two Millers. A little 110v, 140 amp...and a 110/220v dual voltage 211. Both have the "Auto Set" technology which actually works quite well.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ill definitely take you up on your offer to crash course welding!.. ive seen what you do with it.. and I agreee lots of doors open up.. I have done nbothing more than tack a couple pieces together and beat it with a hammer.. wasnt my rig so not sure what it was..

are either of the rigs in this thread gas shielded?
-Christopher

P.S. when i first got into computers.. learning to write my own software opened up huge amounts of doors for me in many projects.. so I get it wit hwelding on the mechanical side.. and I do like to build - sometimes out of the norm stuff..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
The handler 140 is a gas shielded welder I'm not sure on the other one posted. I have the Hobart 210 multi voltage and have really enjoyed using it. I have used more expensive welders and my little Hobart does just about as well for me. I also recently purchased an everlast tig/plasma/stick and have been impressed with it for the money but haven't had it long.

When looking at welders they are usually advertised clearly as flux core only or gas shielded but if you have questions about a specific one post it up here and someone will probably know if it is gas shielded.

I think you would use a welder if you had one Christopher Building with metal is kind of addictive

Here are my machines in the cart built from whatever I could find in the garage (except wheels)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2878.jpg   IMG_2879.jpg  
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
I give up on trying to get the pictures straight I turned them in my galler before posting and everything I have always thought I was fairly competent with this type of thing but it's kicking my butt.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
so I probably should learn to weld better.. and own my own welder.. maybe?? what do you guys think? do I need a welder with the stuff I do?

there are 2 posted in this thread.. which one?
-Christopher
Get a Hobart Handler 140- I promise you'll be happy with it and if you ever tire of it they sell used for damn near what they cost new.

I'm loving mine!!!!
Old 11-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ill definitely take you up on your offer to crash course welding!.. ive seen what you do with it.. and I agreee lots of doors open up.. I have done nbothing more than tack a couple pieces together and beat it with a hammer.. wasnt my rig so not sure what it was..

are either of the rigs in this thread gas shielded?
-Christopher

P.S. when i first got into computers.. learning to write my own software opened up huge amounts of doors for me in many projects.. so I get it wit hwelding on the mechanical side.. and I do like to build - sometimes out of the norm stuff..
-Christopher
The Handler 140 comes with flux core and a gas valve so you can do it either way. Its versatile, handy, and does a great job.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My local store even has a dented Bobcat generator/Mig for a few hundred bucks off.

Hell- me, dave and eddie coulda done ALL the welding done on my bus thus far with one of these-
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...re-feed-welder
$200 aint bad for what it is, and sure beats HF any day.

Looks like a HANDY lil sucker!
This one pictured is a flux core wire gas less machine but they make attachments to turn the stinger into accepting gas and standard wire.
Along time ago when I first used MIG it was with the shielding gas and I was sold on it for shop work but always questioned it for position work that you can't really get to.
Stick welding you can always bend the rod to get into tight space but you can't bend the gun on a MIG machine.
I ended up having to use a brand new Lincoln 120v flux core machine last month on a 1/2" socket weld on a natural gas line and that little thing surprised the hell out of me cause I didn't think it would do sch.40 steel pipe on a sch.80 elbow.
That new technology flux core wire and machine is a lot cleaner and better than the first 120v flux mig I tried and burnt up 20-years ago on 16-gauge roof trusses
I mainly run diesel machines and always want my Lincoln if I have a choice and all of our shop welder's are 230v miller universals that are good.
Pay the extra for a name brand machine for your at home work and you will never have to buy another.
Lincoln
Miller/Hobart
Have ran some MultiQuip stuff that is if I had to choose a better to Lincoln? That would probably my caddilac.
Spend a couple hundred to do one job and throw it out or spend 3-400 and have it the rest of your life?
Good luck.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #17
Bus Nut

FYI the HF flux mig is crap. Mine crapped out on the third use needs gun conduit and feed tension makes it feed wrong.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
FYI the HF flux mig is crap. Mine crapped out on the third use needs gun conduit and feed tension makes it feed wrong.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
Harbor Freight are ok for cheap disposable stuff, but to me these little hobarts are the "minimum" welder. Chinese cheapo welders are just a waste of time.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Bus Geek

I will echo the "you get what you pay for" sentiment. HF & Northern Tool are fine for disposable tools, but if you plan on using anything more than a week or two, get real tools.

Hobart is Miller's "economy" line and are great little welders for the money but personally, I would not own a flux machine. Spattery as all get out and the smoke is not anything you want to be breathing. And a lot of people forget that flux wire typically cost about twice what the plain wire does that is used in a gas shielded machine. You do need 75/25 gas but I have found gas welding to be cheaper (and better) in the long run. If you are going to get a welder, get one you can live with for a while. I can't begin to count the people I know who started off with a flux machine because they were cheap...then within a very short period, dumped them to buy a real welder. No savings there.

I have two Millers, a little 140 and a dual voltage 210 and have welded 8" schedule 40 pipe with ease using either machine getting excellent penetration.

The range of capabilities on the Millers is great. The S40 above was laid down in a single pass...and...the 26 ga. stucco lath was tacked to the 1/4" beam using the same machine.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Welding outside with wind, I use flux or stick. Inside it's MIG.

Hi-rise buildings/bridges are welded with flux...BIG ass flux.