Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Me
Engine: Series 60
Transit Buses for sale great for conversions

Hello all,

Im retiring some of the 40 foot buses in my fleet and want to sell them instead of sending to scrap. Comment below for info!

the7exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
How about some pics and details?

N.Y. isn't a place to look for desirable buses. The fact that scrap is one of your options tells me this may be true with yours. Year, make, model, drive trains, condition, etc. would be helpful.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #3

Year: 2003
Chassis: Blue Bird All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I'd be interested in the specs, and pictures if you've got them.
GeorgiaNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
Skoolie

Interested!
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:52 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
NY, that's the Salt Belt.

How corroded?
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Me
Engine: Series 60
Sorry thought I included details:

Up first are New Flyer D40LF buses, Cummins ISM + Allison B500R engines. Minimal to no rust, frame is in great condition. These are single door buses.
the7exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7exp View Post
Sorry thought I included details:

Up first are New Flyer D40LF buses, Cummins ISM + Allison B500R engines. Minimal to no rust, frame is in great condition. These are single door buses.
Details like mileage, year model, pics of conditions, go a long way when trying to get interest.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:01 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Pretty lame listing....
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:33 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I think he's already told us all we need to know.

o1marc is correct, NY is not a desirable source for buses. Besides the road salt, the Atlantic air eats metal.

New Flyer itself isn't a bad brand but lesser known in this community. The LF means Low Floor as this is a city route type bus so no space underneath for storage, holding, plumbing, etc. Along with that, not geared for highway speeds so plan on being limited in speed or attempt to regear if the engine will have the guts to move it.

And yes if his alternative is scrapping then there's apparently nothing left in these worth salvaging or rebuilding. Fleets can cannibalize an old out-of-service unit for a while to keep the rest of the fleet in service.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:44 PM   #10

I may be interested in one of your buses. Please PM me more info/your contact info. Im in NY as well.
kliza23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:31 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I think he's already told us all we need to know.

o1marc is correct, NY is not a desirable source for buses. Besides the road salt, the Atlantic air eats metal.

New Flyer itself isn't a bad brand but lesser known in this community. The LF means Low Floor as this is a city route type bus so no space underneath for storage, holding, plumbing, etc. Along with that, not geared for highway speeds so plan on being limited in speed or attempt to regear if the engine will have the guts to move it.

And yes if his alternative is scrapping then there's apparently nothing left in these worth salvaging or rebuilding. Fleets can cannibalize an old out-of-service unit for a while to keep the rest of the fleet in service.

depends.. columbus got rid of a bunch of previous generation busses with lots of life left on them recently.. nothing wrong with them.. in fact many of them went to Toledo to go in-service day one, some of them went to individuals that got in on the fun.. Columbus was uopdating the fleet and selling off diesels in favor of CNG units.. maybe this Trasnit comoany is switching from flyer to say gillig where they dont want / need the spare parts.. not saying these busses are cherry but also dont discount them as being completely worn out..

likely they wont be speed demons but i have yet to see a D40 that wont run 65 on the highway all day.

a Low floor bus is desirable for someone who might otherwise do a roof-raise .. single door makes them nice as you have the whole bus except for the drivetrain step-up to use for living space. many of these are air ride all the way around.. have built in easy ability if a family member is handicapped with the door-ramp vs a lift.

they will already have road A/C

no its not a bus you are going to take off road and the systems are more complex than a school bus but to me they arent an absolute no right off the bat unless theres obvious issues, corrosion or mechanical issues.. a lot would depend on price.. if they are expecting a premium price then no these arent the busses to buy but if they can be had at just above scrap value and are in decent shape then they can be a very viable option.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Transit Buses for sale great for conversions

I agree.

I went with a low floor transit bus exactly for these reasons, and specifically for volumetric efficiency. 9 feet headroom, 112” wide, and just about fits in a parking spot for a sprinter van. The cubic feet I get for 29 feet of length is massively more than any other body style.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2015.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	538.8 KB
ID:	61001

It’s square as a brick, so putting stuff on the roof is easy.

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	684.2 KB
ID:	61004

Windows open. Big plus.

Name:	IMG_3711.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	717.3 KB
ID:	61006

Being a 29 footer with an 8.9 ISL and a B400R (Allison 3000 series), it turns on a dime (sort of) and sprints like a bat out of hell. From a stoplight, I can outrun most “normal” passenger car traffic. Geared for city driving, yet runs 70MPH at 2250RPM. In 5th gear, and it would do 6. I don’t drive it much over 60 because wind resistance rises with speed cubed.

Also the body is extruded aluminum and stainless steel with fiberglass caps. Of course there are steel components that do rust, but the body is not susceptible to corrosion.

There are several downsides, too.

Because of the abundance of stainless, working on it can be very hard.

Name:	IMG_3716.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	61007

Name:	IMG_3710.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	61008

You better be into the computerized side of things. 2005 ish and later buses have networked modules instead of wire looms. Dozens of modules are networked across the bus.

Emission control devices are present for the later buses. Mine is a 2009 with a catalyst and particle filter. Diagnostics on more than a superficial level requires a fair bit of computer-based elbow grease.

Name:	IMG_3715.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	61009

Name:	IMG_3714.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	61010

Name:	IMG_3713.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	61011

Name:	IMG_3717.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	61012

Parts can be costly. There is not much of a second hand market.

But for me it is totally worth it. I settled on a Gillig.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Some more still:

Low Floor buses, particularly the 30 footers, don't have much continuous "floor space". You will be doing a lot of non-90 degree cuts in cabinetry and other household things to make stuff fit. So yeah, you have a lot of volume available, but it is an uphill battle to make use of it.

Conversion of a LF is MUCH slower for that reason. You think something is going to take two hours, you better budget eight. And measure twice, cut once, definitely applies.

Cadillackid mentioned ground clearance. This is true. Yet, we exclusively boondock, and haven't had issues, but it certainly should be considered.

Yet, my bus has a retarder, so in addition it being powerful and it being able to climb 10%+ grades without breaking a sweat, it can also descend mountains without overheating the brakes.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #14

Thumbs up Transit Buses

Hello ,

I don't own nothing yet RV / School conversion- been lurking .
but can't help myself to this tread on Transit buses .

I retired from NYCT after 26 years - drove some of those New Flyers Buses Low Floors made Between 1998 - let say 2010 - correct me if I'm wrong on the exact years. honestly I drove the new flyer Artic Long bus most of the time. but breaking down & from Towing to yard perspective is pretty reliable.

I have to say they are pretty reliable as a Typical Honda from 80's - 2000's
We drive them practically 20 out of 24 hours 7 days a week - STOP & GO every 4 - 6 blocks in one of the Worst Pot Hole city in America USA !

some w/ over 500,000 Miles Stop & Go Miles before engine rebuild.
I can't say about Rust as it all depends on which city & How they maintain wash / salt prevention . but we go thru wash every night - maintenance is the best in NYCT . Not for passenger service > that's pretty bad sometimes.

hope this helps . Good luck Mason103 NYC
Mason103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:13 AM   #15

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 30 passenger (20 adults)
Pics n details!
gogolaserbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #16

Curious how you did your electrical closet and grey water fresh water tanks? We are looking at an 03 new flyer 40 foot bus. Like the idea but where do you put all the stuff that should be under the bus
Jerisme is offline   Reply With Quote