Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Transporting full size International fro TX to MN

Hello all! I'm new here and just purchased a bus in Austin, TX! Was going to drive it up but alternator failed and had to leave it behind and come home from work! Wondering though if anyone on here would be willing to transport it up as I can't take the time off work. Looking at full towing, otherwise, I can get the alternator replaced by the seller, and pay to have someone drive it up! Engine ran great and was fine once batteries in so I trust it being driven the 1,200 miles but yeah. Its a 2002 International 3800 71 Passenger bus with a T444e engine!
Attached Thumbnails
00h0h_fY43OXkQmmH_600x450.jpg  

Kdruva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on a T444E alternator is an Easy replacdement... most of them use the standard GM / Delco style SI alternator... its right aaccesible on the passenger side of the bus, a 1/2 inch ratchet to disengage the serpentine belt and just a couple bolts hold that on.. you can stand between the wheel and the frame... maybe an hour job?

how did you determine its the alternator and not another electrical issue? slowly losing voltage till it stalled out on you?

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
You must have not made it very far if the seller can install a new alternator in it for you where ever it is.
If alt. just quit working, versus a seized bearing or fried) the batteries are likely dead.
So I am guessing it is still in or near Austin.
Where does it have to get to?
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
If alt. just quit working, versus a seized bearing or fried) the batteries are likely dead.

Exactly what I thought- they jumped it and got it out the door.

Check and clean the grounds, too. loose/flaky ground will do same.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

It did just that, slowly discharged. After getting the new batteries in, fired right up, disconnected batteries while running and it stalled out so it hopefully is just that. Connectors looked good and everything and looked like an easy job. But sadly it was late at night and I had to get my girlfriend and myself back for school and work and couldn't take the night and next day to do it all. I'm a mechanic myself so diagnosis seemed straight forward. Maybe I'll just get the guy to replace it and fly back down and drive it home myself. But wanted to see if there was anyone out there to do it first as getting off time to do it is difficult.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
check Allegiant airlines if they go from there to there.
might get a one way for under $100
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Skoolie

Towing from TX to MN will be painful. When I was putting out bids to get my bus from Maryland to Louisiana they were all $2500+
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Traveling

Towing is very expensive, but when you see how much it costs to get a truck large enough that can tow a bus, insurance, inspection, fuel, tolls, Class A driver with experience...

I had my bus towed from auction last week, I could have worked on it a bit in the pickup lot and gotten it going, but after really looking it over I'm glad I towed it- found fuel leaks, radiator hose about to go. Little things, really, but it sure isn't pleasant when you are stranded on the side of the road in the middle of Texas. OP is a mechanic, but all it takes is one unfamiliar flakey interlock relay to fail. Texas is ... large.

That being said, I have a vehicle in Texas right now I need to get to Chicago. Shipping is high- more than I paid for vehicle. I will have a referred mechanic change glow plugs and give it the once-over before heading out.

Important note: If you buy a Southern bus to go North, make darn sure your antifreeze is up to snuff or you will crack that block when you get home and park it. Windshield washer fluid is also rated for temperature. Batteries that work ok in Texas are not always ok in Minnesota. School districts also spec bus for their condition- cold, hills, block heater, etc.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Towing is very expensive, but when you see how much it costs to get a truck large enough that can tow a bus, insurance, inspection, fuel, tolls, Class A driver with experience...

I had my bus towed from auction last week, I could have worked on it a bit in the pickup lot and gotten it going, but after really looking it over I'm glad I towed it- found fuel leaks, radiator hose about to go. Little things, really, but it sure isn't pleasant when you are stranded on the side of the road in the middle of Texas. OP is a mechanic, but all it takes is one unfamiliar flakey interlock relay to fail. Texas is ... large.

That being said, I have a vehicle in Texas right now I need to get to Chicago. Shipping is high- more than I paid for vehicle. I will have a referred mechanic change glow plugs and give it the once-over before heading out.

Important note: If you buy a Southern bus to go North, make darn sure your antifreeze is up to snuff or you will crack that block when you get home and park it. Windshield washer fluid is also rated for temperature. Batteries that work ok in Texas are not always ok in Minnesota. School districts also spec bus for their condition- cold, hills, block heater, etc.
Thank you for the tips its much appreciated! Definitely ready to just get this thing up here and figured out. Found someone that will drive it up that has knowledge for a good price so hopefully that all goes smoothly!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdruva View Post
Thank you for the tips its much appreciated! Definitely ready to just get this thing up here and figured out. Found someone that will drive it up that has knowledge for a good price so hopefully that all goes smoothly!
Corps of Engineers park's rates are off peak season right now, if they need to stop-over anywhere along the route, if they don't use a rest area, truck stop, Walmart, Home Depot or the like...

Just sayin'
Old 02-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Corps of Engineers park's rates are off peak season right now, if they need to stop-over anywhere along the route, if they don't use a rest area, truck stop, Walmart, Home Depot or the like...

Just sayin'

Not familiar with what you speak- Is this it? Available to anyone?

Corps Eng
Old 02-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Not familiar with what you speak- Is this it? Available to anyone?

Corps Eng
That's it
In the off peak season, it's reduced rates... And they use an "honor box"

Off peak is December 31st through March 1st.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:26 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
another thing to note about cold weather..

1. I got caught by the windshield washer fluid.. drove my Texas Bus from florida where it had been serviced to ohio and cracked the washer bottle WHile driving as it was so cold..

2. check your Air system, mty antifreeze was good as I thought to tell the service people that I would have it in cold weather so it tested out at -35 which is fine for Ohio. but the Air system.. it was texas bus and didnt have an air dryer as its hydraulic brakes.. air just used for seat and suspension.. my air system lines were routed such that traps could be formed.. water filled one of my air lines, froze and caused the governor to fail which cracked the head on my air comoressor, pumped air into my coolant and couldve ruined my engine...

not only do you need a HEATED air dryer up north you need to make sure your air lines are routed such that no loops or traps are formed where water can collect and freeze..

most OEM's route the lines correctly, however if an air line was replaced down south care may not have been taken in how its routed.. up north its imperative so shops know to do it..

one good thing about bringing a southern bus up north is that the heating and defrosting systems are likely in good shape.. I know on my Texas bus the coils are almost perfectly clean and the fan motors dont squeak or rattle.. in houston the heaters were probably only run a few weeks out of the year in the mornings..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote