Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: 40 ft super coach
Engine: 855 cu in Cummins 250 hp
Travel with a Crown

Howdy folks. Life changes and so do our needs and conditions. For that reason we have decided to sell our home of six years and traveling companion of many miles. We completely redid the conversion of a 1973 Crown 40 foot coach in 2001-2002. We crossed and crossed again the Rockies, the Sierra Nevada, and the Cascades and slept in temperatures below zero as well as endured days above 100. Can’t say those times were especially comfortable but they aren’t in any RV we have experienced! Since my wife is on a walker full-time I built everything to be extra easy for her. She likes to cook so there is an apartment size stove, full-size household refrigerator, lots of counter space and full-size double sink fed by a Bosch demand water heater. The 32 X 32 shower and Splendide washer/dryer are fed from four 50 gal. stainless water tanks overhead and drain to a 100 gallon stainless black tank and 35 gallon gray tank. When beyond the reach of the power chord electricity is supplied by six industrial two-volt batteries working with a 2500 W Trace inverter with battery charger and a 75 W solar panel. Two brand-new 8D start batteries are also maintained by the solar panel to start the 855 cu. In. 250 hp Cummins with a touch of the key. The engine will use about a gallon of oil in 7,000 miles and transmits its ponies to the twin drive axles through a bullet-proof six-speed Allison RT70 transmission. I have driven into, and then out of, mud in SD after sinking in at least eight inches. Since my wife likes to sew there is a slide-out counter top for her sewing machine back by the queen-size bed that due to her limitations is just two good steps from the Sea Land china toilet. The genuine hardwood floor and propane fireplace up front add just a bit of class to our rolling home. We hope someone else will enjoy it as much as we did over the years of our travels. By the way, there is nothing quite like a Crown in the wind, it just keeps trucking along when everyone else is seeking shelter no matter what the direction or velocity.

The pictures are of all when we were living and traveling in it but it is essentially the same today. The odometer shows over 400,000 miles but it has been well maintained and with the brand new start batteries it starts and runs like a new one.

The fabric on the awning is shot and there are a few other age spots, pictures upon request . Here is a list of equipment installed.
Trace 2500 watt inverter with battery charger for maintaining the six industrial 2-volt batteries.
Four fifty-gallon stainless steel fresh water tanks.
100-gallon stainless steel black tank
Sea Land china toilet
35-gallon gray water tank
Household refrigerator
Apartment size stove
Bosch LP demand water heater
Splendide washer/dryer
Queen bed rear and convertible couch
Hard wood floor front and LP gas fire place
Single rooftop A/C and catalytic heater
Two back up cameras with large monitor

We are asking $7,000 and can certainly talk about the possibility of delivery if necessary. Here is unique and inexpensive college housing, an amazing camper, and a real attention getter. Priced low compared to others on this site, not because there are hidden defects but because I know what we need for it to do what is next and it may help you get into the enjoyment we have had.

Give me a call at 95 six 9 two 9 eleven 25.
Attached Thumbnails
Hwy 101 California0002.jpg   Bus in Cody WY.jpg   BD in bus.JPG  

Grandpa Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Travel with a Crown

bump

the frontal shot looks like a grownup VW bus (with spare tire mounted up)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

How about a side shot.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Love it! If I had realized this one was for sale when we bought ours, we'd probably have bought this one! More pictures please

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
bump

That is exactly what I thought! Like a grandpa VW!
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
bump

That is exactly what I thought! Like a grandpa VW!
Sez the girl with the Wolfsberg castle avatar.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Skoolie

Haha. Yes... I have a fierce love for all things VW.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Original post was back in May, 2013. I wonder if it's still for sale? I used to have a 1967 VW camper bus that looked exactly like that from the front!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #9

To answer the last question, YES, the bus is still for sale. I am strapped for time with my work but am completing the installation of new carpet because I let some folks stay in it and the lady spilled stuff everywhere. I didn't want to sell it in that condition and had access to the carpet. As I said, this is a great rig for someone who wants a tough bus able to go where most of them won't. I do have pics of my conversion work as well as up to date details but am having other computer problems and haven't had time to try to get them where they can be seen. If you want them I can send them as an attachment with an email. Computers frustrate me no end!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Bump: Travel with a Crown

Beautiful rig at a fair price. Wish I was in the market, though I do prefer a "standard" transmission.
(Since almost every vehicle has an automatic transmission now, is "standard transmission" an oxymoron? HMMM.)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #11

Actually I would have preferred a standard having done a lot of truck driving. I was able to make the Crown shift pretty much when I wanted it to which helped in the mountains but I would have liked more gears. I did drive a Crown one time many years ago, just made one trip with it and never even paid attention really to what it was, that had a Road Ranger but it was on flat country. The Dodge P.U. we have now has a later model six speed in it with 4.10 gears so I shift six times by the time it is doing 40 mph. Lots of shifting but it sure pulls a trailer easy and gets better mileage than most.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #12

Hi Grandpa Graf,
Still for sale?
Nonya Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #13

Thank you for asking. It looks as though all our negotiations are working out and the bus can be considered sold. Thanks to all who expressed interest. After the years and the miles there definitely is some nostalgia accompanying it. We are on the trip back toward home with the enclosed car hauler we purchased from a factory in GA right now. My challenge is to make it a suitable travel lodge for my wife. Take care all, and happy travels!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Graf
Thank you for asking. It looks as though all our negotiations are working out and the bus can be considered sold. Thanks to all who expressed interest. After the years and the miles there definitely is some nostalgia accompanying it. We are on the trip back toward home with the enclosed car hauler we purchased from a factory in GA right now. My challenge is to make it a suitable travel lodge for my wife. Take care all, and happy travels!

Congrats Mr. Graf! Best wishes on the next endeavor!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote