Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Trying to raise money for a bus

Hi All,
I don't know if this is done, but I figured if I don't try, I will never know. I am trying to raise money to buy a bus so I am selling my skills to do it. I am a museum exhibit designer by trade and live in the Chicago-land area. My career has allowed me to design and build very unconventional things and a school bus build is a very unconventional thing which is why I am confident I can do it well. Please note that I have never converted a school bus, but as I stated, I have the skills to do it and am aware that I don't know everything (who does?), but I am an excellent problem solver and will be fully transparent in all costs and processes. I can provide sketches of what your bus would look like, auto cad drawings for the build, and I have access to a shop and tools for the build.
If you are in the Chicago-land area and want to have you own bus but need help to do it, please feel free to email me at azjohnkelly.com. I will work on only one bus at a time until I have raised enough money for my own bus.
Thanks, John

azjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Good luck, man. That's an awesome idea.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks man. I am familiar with your build. I have seen that site, lots of good information. If you don't mind, when I start this thing, I might contact you with a question or two.
John
Old 10-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjohn View Post
Thanks man. I am familiar with your build. I have seen that site, lots of good information. If you don't mind, when I start this thing, I might contact you with a question or two.
John
Sure thing, shoot me a PM anytime. Happy to help.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Good luck to you

I've worked as a preparator at the local museum. It's cool work. Am looking forward to seeing your interpretation of skoolie. My bus has been parked at the mechanics shop for about 5 months - only because I'm not in a hurry. Any day now I'm going to get started.

Cheers
Mike
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Nice. I was a preparator once also. I liked that job a a ton. The first super rare/expensive thing I had to handle was a Roman vase that was 2000 plus years old. One mistake and all that history would be gone. I took a breath, put on the white gloves, and moved it with no issues. I just made some Roman guy that lived 2000 years ago happy.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #7

Year: n/a
Coachwork: n/a
Can you actually perform all the work yourself: carpentry, electric; 12v & 120v - vehicle and accommodations, plumbing (kitchen, bath), etc?
stever88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Yes. The only thing I would not trust myself to do is weld. I haven't welded in years. Any other task that may arise in this context is simple problem solving. A lot of people freak out over electrical but I think it is the components that freak them out. The physics behind it is really simple; A little addition and remembering that they call it a "current" for a reason goes a long way.
I am not a mechanic. If a bus has trouble starting or something, I can't just listen to the engine cranking and say what the problem is. As I said in my original post, I don't know everything but am a good problem solver. Using this forum is a great resource. As a group, this site has it all.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #9

Year: n/a
Coachwork: n/a
Thanks for reply.
What size bus are you looking for, big or little/shorter?
stever88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

3/4 bus. I'm also exploring tiny houses, in fact I'm designing one now. There are lots of off grid systems the cross over to buses.