Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
Skoolie

WANTED: Alcoa Wheels

I'm looking for some 22.5" or 24.5" Alcoa Wheels for our bus. I'm not sure if the 24s will even work yet. But if anyone knows of a good used source, please let me know. They don't have to be perfect or even new. Thanks.

davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: WANTED: Alcoa Wheels

Be careful choosing 24.5 wheels as the final road ratio will be effected. I decided to change to 24.5 with my old GMC 4905. Bad decision. On the flats, the bus would fly but on hills, lots of 2nd gear was used. My rear axle ratio was 8.25. That bus had a 4 speed. My Crown has a 4:10 ratio and drives 24.5 OK with a 10 speed with OD. Alloy wheels are about $150-200 every place. Call the tire folks, put and ad in the paper or go check the truck stops. Even the wheel polish guys get wheels for resale. Inspect each wheel carefully. Most buses require the studs are changed to longer studs. The studs are $3-4 each and lots of labor. Nicely painted wheels are nice too. Alloys are a constant chore. I have 4 wheels and not sure I'm gonna put them on my schoolie. I paid $425 for 4 and now have moved them 4 times. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
Skoolie

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Skoolie

burnt orange would be the poo... or look like poo....

We have plain black now. We're looking for either chrome or polished alum. wheels for the future.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

What bolt pattern do you have???????? I assume you have buds and not daytons. There are 2 bolt patterns, stud centered for the older vehicles and hub centered for the last 20 years or so, they won't interchange and these large bolt patterns and are on 5 ton suspensions and larger which are meant for only the largest tires. If you have an intermediate weight bus then you will have the small bolt pattern, smaller tires, and will have to order special wheels drilled with your bolt pattern and rim width, I doubt you can find used ones. If you have the large bolt pattern then you can find wheels all over the place. Just check with any large tow operation, they have wheels off wrecked trucks and trailers or any truck salvage. Here is a place that has plenty of wheels and if you talk to them right you can get some pretty good tires on them for a little more. Wellsville truck salvage (Kansas): 785 883 4117 You can ship these kind of bulky heavy items by Greyhound and it's reasonable (probably just the wheels, with tires would be too bulky and heavy to load) If you go to the gallery to P14 and look at my pictures, next to last pic, then you can see what the large bolt pattern looks like, it's about 11 1/4". I have seen very few busses with this bolt pattern, mostly older BB in the 76 or 84 passenger versions, most busses seem to have daytons. I was looking at an old over the road truck to buy and it had 10 alloy wheels and good tires for a few thousand dollars. You could use 4 on your bus (steels on the inside rear unless you want to change studs) and sell the rest to some other skoolie guys. My rears just fit without changing the studs if I just ran alloys on the outside, steels on the inside. Good luck, sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Aluminum wheels are going to be VERY expensive and difficult to find. You'd have a much easier time finding a brand new set of wheel simulators, and cost for all four wheels will be around $400 or so... If you are not sure what simulators are, just CLICK HERE...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote