Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #1

Wanting to buy

Looking for an 8.3 Cummins rear engine bus that hasn't been remodeled or is just stripped to empty.

ClutchDownRevUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
This looks like a nice bus if it is still available.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/lo...rue-29839.html

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:43 AM   #3

it does. the original poster hasn't responded to me in the last week though.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchDownRevUp View Post
it does. the original poster hasn't responded to me in the last week though.
Quote:
I will literally take almost any offer.
If that's really her attitude, that bus is gone by now, to join the rest of the Craigslist Impossible Miracle Finds.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I found mine for $4k in southern Colorado (had some rear cap damage but otherwise a very nice bus), have to be willing to travel at a moment's notice to score deals on these buses.

More and more people know that these are the preferred drivetrains so prices are going up and they sell a lot faster.

If you add your general location to your profile we can help you a lot better! Probably the number one thing forum newbies should do.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I found mine for $4k in southern Colorado (had some rear cap damage but otherwise a very nice bus), have to be willing to travel at a moment's notice to score deals on these buses.

More and more people know that these are the preferred drivetrains so prices are going up and they sell a lot faster.

If you add your general location to your profile we can help you a lot better! Probably the number one thing forum newbies should do.

I'm in Missouri.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

I have never seen an 8.3 Cummins school bus from Missouri. Sometimes I see some Thomas pushers with those motors on purplewave in Kansas however.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #8

I haven't either. Flat front dont seem popular around here and rear engine are even more rare. Occasionally I'll see some RE with DT466 up near Kansas City but not around where I live. I've found 2 in texas. The one posted above who stopped messaging me and another dude who stopped after I asked for a pic of the frame and mileage. There's two on the PNW but I'm not paying $10k for busses with 250k miles and tires that need replaced. After that I found 3 in california with 160k, 167k and 250k miles but the dude on the phone said the cheapest one started at $20k and I just couldnt but laugh at the price for a 20 year old bus. Then theres one for sale inn Illinois that a dude started and gave up but he wants $16k. He states it runs fine but it has a "small coolant leak somewhere" and I dont really want to rip the deck off the roof either. Edit, I also found one Florida woth a roof raise already done but it's a front engine bus and that just didnt seem like 8.3 as I havent seen another FE 8.3 bus before.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I haven't either. Flat front dont seem popular around here and rear engine are even more rare. Occasionally I'll see some RE with DT466 up near Kansas City but not around where I live. I've found 2 in texas. The one posted above who stopped messaging me and another dude who stopped after I asked for a pic of the frame and mileage. There's two on the PNW but I'm not paying $10k for busses with 250k miles and tires that need replaced. After that I found 3 in california with 160k, 167k and 250k miles but the dude on the phone said the cheapest one started at $20k and I just couldnt but laugh at the price for a 20 year old bus. Then theres one for sale inn Illinois that a dude started and gave up but he wants $16k. He states it runs fine but it has a "small coolant leak somewhere" and I dont really want to rip the deck off the roof either. Edit, I also found one Florida woth a roof raise already done but it's a front engine bus and that just didnt seem like 8.3 as I havent seen another FE 8.3 bus before.
Bluebird did build a front engine 8.3 for a little while but it wasn't a big seller. Also worth noting that the FE chassis is not the greatest idea for an engine of that size, probably why it was discontinued around 2003. People selling these buses often don't know what they have and incorrectly list it as a 5.9.

PNW buses go for a lot of money since the bodies are very clean and they option them out pretty well. Also lots of skoolie folks live in that area so they tend to buy up the good ones right away.

Missouri is nothing special for school buses, all the operators I see down there just have run of the mill IC conventionals with the occasional C2 Safetliner. No pushers and very few FEs.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
FE 8.3 exist. I bid on one in FL about 5 years ago.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Bluebird was the only one that built them though.

Never seen or heard of an 8.3 in a Thomas FE.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Bluebird was the only one that built them though.

Never seen or heard of an 8.3 in a Thomas FE.
Can't say I have either. The BBAA I looked at was dreamy. 1993 with 40k ORIGINAL miles. It was a field trip bus.
That was back in the day when $4000 was a LOT for a bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote