Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 12:41 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American series 3605–3706
Engine: Cat3126B 7.2L 6L DIESEL
Rated Cap: 72 PASS
Workspace needed

Anyone in Fort Lauderdale have room in their back yard or driveway for me to work on my School Bus!!? I'm on a tight tight budget. the bus is sitting at the bus yard where I bought it. I need a place to store it that I can afford and to work on it. I cannot drive off with it till Ive saved enough $$ for the drive out to california. The insurance company requires I remove the seats in order to insure for tag and tittle. HEEELP

searched all over the web including https://www.neighbor.com/rentals/Mia...ge-space-86217

EXPENSSIVE for spaces 20x50 or over

Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:07 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
FWIW you should be able to remove the seats from a FL bus (which is hopefully un-rusted unless it was imported from elsewhere) without any power tools, so perhaps you can remove them while the bus is still where you bought it.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:59 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American series 3605–3706
Engine: Cat3126B 7.2L 6L DIESEL
Rated Cap: 72 PASS
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
FWIW you should be able to remove the seats from a FL bus (which is hopefully un-rusted unless it was imported from elsewhere) without any power tools, so perhaps you can remove them while the bus is still where you bought it.
I'm sorry, WHAT!? you're joking right? Please do tell me how to remove bolts without using a power tool.
Chicken Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:12 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
I'm sorry, WHAT!? you're joking right? Please do tell me how to remove bolts without using a power tool.
Easiest way is with a friend, with one of you underneath the bus and the other inside. Person below clamps a vice grips on the nut; person inside loosens the bolt head with an ordinary wrench and a hammer, then uses a ratchet wrench to remove the bolt completely. If you have no friends, buy a bunch of cheap vice grips and clamp them on yourself - the more you have, the fewer trips up and down you'll have to make.

Even if the bolts are a little rusted this will usually work, and in a FL bus they really shouldn't be that bad. You might have a few ornery bolts that need to be cut out with an angle grinder, but your bus lot will probably run you an extension cord if it helps to be rid of you.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Easiest way is with a friend, with one of you underneath the bus and the other inside. Person below clamps a vice grips on the nut; person inside loosens the bolt head with an ordinary wrench and a hammer, then uses a ratchet wrench to remove the bolt completely. If you have no friends, buy a bunch of cheap vice grips and clamp them on yourself - the more you have, the fewer trips up and down you'll have to make.

Even if the bolts are a little rusted this will usually work, and in a FL bus they really shouldn't be that bad. You might have a few ornery bolts that need to be cut out with an angle grinder, but your bus lot will probably run you an extension cord if it helps to be rid of you.
Exactly how we removed 28 seats, Musigenisis. Ratchet & vice grips, when I was alone. Wrench & battery ratchet, with a helper. We stripped the cushions before unbolting the frames to make them lighter & recyclable. Persistance.

If fact, we removed every bit of flooring, seats and ceiling using only an impact driver & hand tools. 1,056 screws in the ceiling, 124 seat bolts, 376 plywood screws. All in jars to reuse.

Stripping the seat bottoms ('removed seating') may be enough for the insurance company. Most can be done using no tool, just hands.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
They make these new battery operated ones that work really well.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
I am an old fat guy who hates to lay on the ground. My old fat wife is 3 months older than I am and hates to lay on the ground more than I do. We got the seats out of the bus wit a ratchet wrench with a 12 inch extension and a box end wrench.

She stayed up top and held the box end wrench and I crawled below to ratchet the nuts off. Took about two hours. Lots of good metal, foam and plywood to be salvaged from the seats as well.

As for insurance requiring you to remove seats to drive the bus, try Progressive Commercial lines. Their private use commercial policy is cheap. They will sell you a policy for your non converted bus on the caveat that you notify them when you are living in the bus more than 30 days per year so that they can cancel your policy and send you looking for RV insurance. We have used them for two busses and a box truck. They never required any mods, including seat removal to sell us a policy over the phone in minutes.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote