Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
WTB: Bluebird rub rail

Hi.

Looking to buy older style blue bird rub rail. I need less than 3 feet of good condition rub rail to repair a rotted section on my rig. If anyone has a few feet to spare let me know.
Alternatively, an 8ft section can be purchased (https://www.tacbusparts.com/0310060-Blue-Bird-Rub-Rail). 8ft is more than I need. Would anyone be interested in splitting an 8 footer with me? Not looking to make money off this option just dont want/need the extra scrap metal laying around. I allready have enough of that.

Located rochester ny.

Thanks.

Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochey6957 View Post
Hi.

Looking to buy older style blue bird rub rail. I need less than 3 feet of good condition rub rail to repair a rotted section on my rig. If anyone has a few feet to spare let me know.
Alternatively, an 8ft section can be purchased (https://www.tacbusparts.com/0310060-Blue-Bird-Rub-Rail). 8ft is more than I need. Would anyone be interested in splitting an 8 footer with me? Not looking to make money off this option just dont want/need the extra scrap metal laying around. I allready have enough of that.

Located rochester ny.

Thanks.
Yikes, $130 for 8 feet of International/AmTran rub rail. I wish there was a bus graveyard in the northeast, but they all seem to be in, like, Indiana.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Plenty of older salvage yards use old school bus bodies for storage sheds for engines, transmissions and such when space in their main building runs out... Grab a drill, a SawzAll, and a rivet gun, and strike a deal.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Plenty of older salvage yards use old school bus bodies for storage sheds for engines, transmissions and such when space in their main building runs out... Grab a drill, a SawzAll, and a rivet gun, and strike a deal.
Why can't I find a vehicle salvage yard anywhere near Philadelphia?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blueburd
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: 9.0L International Diesel NA
Cheese, my normal pick-a-part yard does not have any school bus sheds lol. I will keep it in mind though.

Musi, my brother lives in Philly! Next time I talk to him I'll see if he knows of any out there.
I
Rochey6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:12 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Cheese, my normal pick-a-part yard does not have any school bus sheds lol. I will keep it in mind though.

Musi, my brother lives in Philly! Next time I talk to him I'll see if he knows of any out there.
I
Pick-A-Part or U-Pull-It yards won't have them, as they clear out and crush cars every 30 to 60 days without fully stripping them. I'm talking about the type of yards that strip a car for every last thing of value, then crush the shell. Many use old school bus bodies for cheap storage sheds to hold engines and transmissions and such for future sale. Probably should have clarified that point.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:18 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:

I
That would be awesome, thank you. For a few months I had my bus parked next to a bus services company that operates hundreds of school buses around Philly, and I know they must scrap those out pretty regularly. They even had kind of a scrapyard of their own going, but I couldn't get past their receptionist to talk to anybody else about getting some of their unwanted bus parts.

I almost considered getting a job there as a bus driver just to see if I could get some good stuff. Now I'm stuck thinking about dropping $130 for 8 feet of rub rail.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Why can't I find a vehicle salvage yard anywhere near Philadelphia?
Much like unicorns and honest politicians: they're mythical creatures not easily found...
Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I found some truck and bus salvage places in Maryland, can't remember the name. They weren't cheap though. It was a holiday weekend and I would have been passing through on Sat. and returning on Mon. Of course they were closed, but said they would have someone meet me at a time to do the deal. Then he said he wanted $500 for a $100 door. Thanks but no Thanks. But in a pinch at least you can price it when you call.

Do a google search of truck and bus salvage in your area. Call every single one of them and ask who has the buses. They all communicate with each other so they'll know.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote