Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

WTB Bus

Hey, I'm in NJ and I'm looking to buy a short bus! It's got to be a shortie since that's all the space I have, but even at 30 ft long that's okay. Also needs to be a shortie for insurance and CDL purposes.

My budget is low: $2000 max. I just need it to run and have a complete body. No interior work needs to be done.

I've been searching on FB and CL. Are there any other places to search?

If you're selling, 551-900-1686

GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
Hey, I'm in NJ and I'm looking to buy a short bus! It's got to be a shortie since that's all the space I have, but even at 30 ft long that's okay. Also needs to be a shortie for insurance and CDL purposes.

My budget is low: $2000 max. I just need it to run and have a complete body. No interior work needs to be done.

I've been searching on FB and CL. Are there any other places to search?

If you're selling, 551-900-1686
you can google bus auctions, govt surplus, bus for sale, etc - a lot of stuff comes up
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The length of the bus has no bearing on CDL or insurance. CDL is more concerned with GVWR, not length. And insurance doesn't care how long it is either.
Do not look for a bus within 1000 miles of you.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The length of the bus has no bearing on CDL or insurance. CDL is more concerned with GVWR, not length. And insurance doesn't care how long it is either.
In NJ the maximum weight for a class C license is 26001 GVWR pounds. That’s all vehicles through class 6. From what I’ve observed that’s all the cutaway style buses which are usually around 12,500 lbs GVWR and the shorter cowled large format buses that are around 7 windows which are usually 25,500 lbs GVWR.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
In NJ the maximum weight for a class C license is 26001 GVWR pounds. That’s all vehicles through class 6. From what I’ve observed that’s all the cutaway style buses which are usually around 12,500 lbs GVWR and the shorter cowled large format buses that are around 7 windows which are usually 25,500 lbs GVWR.
None of it is based on length. GVWR is determined by the owner at registration.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
None of it is based on length. GVWR is determined by the owner at registration.

NO. GVWR is determined by the manufacturer. Owner *CANNOT* change this (unless owner is a registered, certified "manufacturer" or such and all the red tape that goes with it.) The owner *CAN* change the *Registered* weight, which in the trucking world, puts vehicles in different road-tax and heavy vehicle weight classifications.

This might be desirable if a truck capable of hauling 80,000 pounds legally only ever hauls light loads ... the taxes are much cheaper registering for, say 50K than 80K. Don't get caught over that registered weight, though. Not only can they give an overweight ticket, some could argue tax evasion as well.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
NO. GVWR is determined by the manufacturer. Owner *CANNOT* change this (unless owner is a registered, certified "manufacturer" or such and all the red tape that goes with it.) The owner *CAN* change the *Registered* weight, which in the trucking world, puts vehicles in different road-tax and heavy vehicle weight classifications.

This might be desirable if a truck capable of hauling 80,000 pounds legally only ever hauls light loads ... the taxes are much cheaper registering for, say 50K than 80K. Don't get caught over that registered weight, though. Not only can they give an overweight ticket, some could argue tax evasion as well.
Truth.

I saw a news article regarding a particular instances of a truck being caught significantly over GVWR. The article said that the overweight fine was over $11,000. Crazy!

Here in WA (may be different in other states?) if you register any commercial vehicle (including my PRIVATE 1ton pickups) the GVWR is dictated by the manufacturer and cannot be changed. However, if you retitle it as an RV they remove the GWRV and ask you how much it weighs. This weight does not show up on the title /registration the way GVWR does.

That is the only exception I have seen.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post

I am the manufacturer of my RV and the state of Ga. will list the GVWR as what ever I tell them it is. I'm not guessing, I checked it out when I titled my bus.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford E-450
Engine: 6.0 Diesel
Looking for a bus?

I sent a text to that phone number.

-Terry
Profrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
I am the manufacturer of my RV and the state of Ga. will list the GVWR as what ever I tell them it is. I'm not guessing, I checked it out when I titled my bus.

Unless you have credentials *ISSUED BY THE STATE OF GEORGIA* then you are *NOT* a certified manufacturer. This certification/license is issued by the same department that licenses auto dealers (and in fact uses the same paperwork) as manufacturers. Only with this license will you be able to issue "Certificates of Origin" (or similar document). I'm guessing you're a handyman converting a bus into an RV and there's legal processes for that, and since RV's aren't registered by GVWR (usually by scaled out weight once the build is done) it's not as important.

Example - Navistar builds the chassis. *THEY* determine the initial GVWR. It goes to Ox Bodies (dump truck builder) and they add a tag axle to it (along with other work). As a licensed manufacturer, they issue a new Certificate of Origin with the new GVWR. Now let's say I come along and "upgrade" the springs, and try for a new GVWR. My paperwork will be rejected (and rightly so!) since I'm not a manufacturer. I can tell 'em whatever I want, it does not magically make the tires, springs, axles, etc able to carry any more weight. Nor does it decrease the maximum load it's able to carry.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Because rock salt?

A bus over 1000 miles away ads significant time and costs to the acquisition. 1000 miles worth of extra gas, days of drive time, flights.

What's the reasoning here?
GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

The reasoning here is they are under the impression this is a long term investment for you. They don't know you just want to get to burning man in 3 weeks.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Because of the added expense and aggravation that will result from having to contend with swathes of rusted, possibly rotted metal.
Short-term convenience is short-sighted.
Read thru the threads, there are some real horror stories of what some folx have had to overcome.
There will be expenses involved in picking up your bus regardless, and, yes, there'll be more of them the further you need to travel for it.
You should figure what your time and frustrations' are worth versus the expenditure to find something that hasn't been exposed to years of corrosive salt.
If you think that paying an equivalent price on a local bus that is all but guaranteed to be rusty, well, happy trails to you...
Old 07-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
Because rock salt?

A bus over 1000 miles away ads significant time and costs to the acquisition. 1000 miles worth of extra gas, days of drive time, flights.

What's the reasoning here?
I paid $3500 for the bus, $500 in airfare, $1500 in fuel getting it home. $5500 total. In the year plus since I bought it I have not found an equivalent bus within 2000 miles of me. You go where the best bus deal is, figure it into the budget.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I paid $3500 for the bus, $500 in airfare, $1500 in fuel getting it home. $5500 total. In the year plus since I bought it I have not found an equivalent bus within 2000 miles of me. You go where the best bus deal is, figure it into the budget.
He only wants to get to burning man in 3 weeks. We've texted back and forth a few times. I have the texts.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profrog View Post
I sent a text to that phone number.

-Terry
wait a minute profrog?
i am from east texas my wife is in corpus now taking care of aging grandparent but will be in kilgore next week at my families area and looking at jobs there.
what do you have.
live in nc but our heart is there and momma needs something to stay in and do a medical lab tech job.
our 60 passenger is to big for her to do that in in my opinion?
what do you have
call me asap 252-503-8801
not trying to cut anyone out but if he has what my wife needs as a base skoolie then she will be in the area to look at it next week.
depending on what it is?
guess i being dumb and should have PM him instead?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote