Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #1

Question WTB California Bus

Hello, I've recently become really determined to buy a bus after watching awesome skoolie conversions from the sidelines.

The problem is I live in California (Bay Area) where it seems particularly tricky to get a bus.

I contacted a school transportation employee and he said that after the school district is done with their buses they are "under a grant Replacement and Bay Area Air Quality Management District takes the buses once we get our new school buses."

Does anyone have any tips for me? Should I try to find smaller school districts nearby? Buy an out of state bus and then worry about getting it smog checked?

I'd be grateful for any advice

PS I'm looking for a short bus) if that matters.

lilybus31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
It pays to search the rust free areas for a bus and to travel a bit for the one you want. Twice I've gone over 2500 miles to retrieve one, satisfied with both. Start watching the auction sites like Govdeals.com, publicsurplus.com, purplewave.com, and others.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #3

Yeah, I guess it feels harder to travel during the current environment, but might be the best way to get a bus. I've been watching the CO buses that are on auction on govdeals right now but am worried about rust and how I'd get it to California.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybus31 View Post
Yeah, I guess it feels harder to travel during the current environment, but might be the best way to get a bus. I've been watching the CO buses that are on auction on govdeals right now but am worried about rust and how I'd get it to California.
Colorado doesn't use salt on the roads in winter, so Colo. buses are usually a safe bet when rust is an issue. Fly there, drive it home.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

You can find shuttle buses all day long around here.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
You can find shuttle buses all day long around here.
Yeah I've looked into some shuttles. Overall I like the appearance/charm of school buses more and also don't want to deal with a fiberglass body.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Yeah I've looked into some shuttles. Overall I like the appearance/charm of school buses more and also don't want to deal with a fiberglass body.
Can't argue with charm. Not sure I understand opposition to fiberglass, having fixed many boats as well as custom car bodywork both in steel and fiberglass, I much prefer fiberglass. It has lost a bit of favor in car circles because it is 'too easy'.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
Bus Nut

I also am in Northern California, and I purchased mine from A-Z bus sales in SoCal. Dealerships are a great way to find options, at least pre-covid. I'm not sure how they're doing things now.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
I also am in Northern California, and I purchased mine from A-Z bus sales in SoCal. Dealerships are a great way to find options, at least pre-covid. I'm not sure how they're doing things now.
That's so funny I'm literally on their site right now. They've got a couple of good looking buses, but I know the dealers tend to have higher prices too.

I inquired about a bus at Bus West and it was way more expensive than I thought it would be ($6,500 for a 2001 Corbeil 5 window with the 7.3L Ford engine and 181,000 miles).

Maybe I've been misled by the stories of cheap buses, or maybe covid is driving up prices but I was hoping to pay around $3,000-4,000.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I bought one in utah for $1200, just have to drive the 700 miles through the desert in 110F heat back to California. They had a bunch in Virginia for like $2000 or less.
These are 40ft buses, which few want for a motorhome.
Really now, you can buy a motorhome already built for $4,000, like this one in Sacramento for $3500..until it sells in a few days. You can always paint it yelllow and put a stop sign on it and some round lights to make it look like a skoolie..

Old 08-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's so funny I'm literally on their site right now. They've got a couple of good looking buses, but I know the dealers tend to have higher prices too.

I inquired about a bus at Bus West and it was way more expensive than I thought it would be ($6,500 for a 2001 Corbeil 5 window with the 7.3L Ford engine and 181,000 miles).

Maybe I've been misled by the stories of cheap buses, or maybe covid is driving up prices but I was hoping to pay around $3,000-4,000.
The cheap buses will never be found at the dealers, expect 100% mark up on anything they purchase to sell. They buy the same buses available to all of us from the auctions. I was surprised at how many cheap buses just went through Govdeals in Colo. I may start buying more buses if I keep reading about $6-$8K being an OK buy in for a used bus.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The cheap buses will never be found at the dealers, expect 100% mark up on anything they purchase to sell. They buy the same buses available to all of us from the auctions. I was surprised at how many cheap buses just went through Govdeals in Colo. I may start buying more buses if I keep reading about $6-$8K being an OK buy in for a used bus.
The short buses I was looking at on Govdeals in CO went for 5-6k which surprised me. Especially considering there is likely at least a little bit of rust on them.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...4&acctid=12246

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...5&acctid=12246
Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Really now, you can buy a motorhome already built for $4,000, like this one in Sacramento for $3500..until it sells in a few days. You can always paint it yelllow and put a stop sign on it and some round lights to make it look like a skoolie..
I watched a documentary about a college student who spent $40k and a year and a half building a "tiny home". He drug it to a desolate piece of 10,000ft land, his girlfriend left in a few weeks and he abounded it in a month.

I just keep thinking you could buy a camper for a few thousands bucks ! lol
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Here’s an auction in SD county

https://onlineauction.422sales.com/c...s.cgi?bsales76
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Nice find! I'm hoping to buy a 5-8 window bus but definitely going to keep an eye on the two 4 windows listed. Thanks
Old 08-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #16
Bus Nut

This one showed up in Berkeley, CA, $3,000 needs a transmission. Frankly, half that price would be appropriate, but in any case:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...182336017.html

Old 08-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
[QUOTE=BeNimble;403107]This one showed up in Berkeley, CA, $3,000 needs a transmission. Frankly, half that price would be appropriate, but in any case QUOTE]

It does state: " $3,000 OBO" in the ad. Aside from the hokey paintjob, it looks pretty clean. Low~ish miles too.
Offer the seller half if you are interested. Most he/she can say is no???
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Thomas Built MVP-ER
Engine: 5.9 Cummis Tan Block
Quote:
Hello, I've recently become really determined to buy a bus after watching awesome skoolie conversions from the sidelines.

The problem is I live in California (Bay Area) where it seems particularly tricky to get a bus.

I contacted a school transportation employee and he said that after the school district is done with their buses they are "under a grant Replacement and Bay Area Air Quality Management District takes the buses once we get our new school buses."

Does anyone have any tips for me? Should I try to find smaller school districts nearby? Buy an out of state bus and then worry about getting it smog checked?

I'd be grateful for any advice

PS I'm looking for a short bus) if that matters.

Bought mine in Texas. I'm in South Bay and I drove it all the way back home. Took me some time but definitely was worth it. Check out online auction stated above. The PINE auction buses look good too. Good luck!
Prince408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

actually nbot always true... there are dealers that take trade-ins and they often dont give much for them..

earlier this year a buddy and I went and got a 40 ft RE with a beautiful running Cat C7, MD3060, air ride, high headroom , minimal rust.. that bus is a trooper and it was 2 grand out the door at a dealer...

sometimes they get rusty busses that arent worth anything. but there are dealers who have schools that want a no hassle approach to buying new busses so they simply trade the old ones in.. while we see one side of the auction world what we dont see is the other side with buyers who refuse to pay, dont show up on time to pick up their busses, try and hold the schools or auction site accountable if something goes wrong, etc,etc.

dealers that take trades often dont plan on much of a profit from trade-ins.. its a convenience rendered to gain the sale of new ones which have a pretty high margin.. just like when some people buy a car they insist on trading in the old one because its a one-stop shop..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I know where there’s 2 buses for sale right now but they are full length buses.. Thomas or bluebirds i believe