Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
WTB - Engine and tranny

Hi all,

I drove 8 hours, roundtrip, today to pick up a DT444 engine and manual transmission. At 6:30 am, the seller told me my planned 1:00 pm arrival (with the cash) was perfect. And, of course, I arrived to hear that they sold it before I got there. Just lovely...

So, I'm in the market for something suitable to put into a cool old '55 GM school bus.

We're in Northern AZ, but I don't mind driving...and I'm not in a rush, so keep me in mind if you have...or plan to have...or know of something which would work in this cool old rig.

Thanks all,

Ross

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I've had some like that but never that far.

I've got the Detroit Diesel 8.2 with 5 speed manual, only 92k miles on it, in the 85 Ford C700. As i'm going hybrid-electric on it, will be removing it. was thinking to maybe use in the willys ratrod, but have lots of other options for that car.
What were they getting for the DT444?
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:32 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
I've had some like that but never that far.

I've got the Detroit Diesel 8.2 with 5 speed manual, only 92k miles on it, in the 85 Ford C700. As i'm going hybrid-electric on it, will be removing it. was thinking to maybe use in the willys ratrod, but have lots of other options for that car.
What were they getting for the DT444?
The ad started at $1200, then they dropped the listing price to $1000, then to $800 after a couple of weeks, then he messaged me and said if I wanted it they'd take $600 cash. The funny thing is I tried to buy it for $800 and offered to do a wire transfer or Zelle or have my bank send a cashier's check...then he went radio silent for a week, before the "$600 cash" message.

When you get to the engine-removal stage, let me know. Even if I've found something by then, I have another bus that will also need a diesel.

EDIT: I just saw you're in Sacramento. I just flew up there this past week, on Wednesday, to pick up a bus in Vacaville. You're close enough I can drive up there with my flatbed trailer, when you get to that stage.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote