Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

WTB skoolie

Ok, so... I’ve given up on a 4x4 bus. Too hard to find, too far from me, none are converted. Thanks to everyone in the other thread who helped out.

I’m looking for a converted or mostly converted skoolie.

Located in Ottawa, Canada but we can travel. Not in a hurry but definitely would like to get a bus by the end of the summer to start prepping it for our sabbatical year.

Family of four but I’m a DIYer and can certainly modify and customize to my needs.

Not interested in van cutaways, already have a c-class rv and I’m getting rid of it for a reason.

DarkBladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
make a 4x4...

bunch of work... but...

the ford f450 and f550 were used for shuttle buses, ambulances, and rvs.

I would think if you got a chassis based on the ford you could add, trans modifications, transfer case, front axle assembly from 4wd. a bunch of work. I would start with a donor truck that had the same engine and work from there.

I have seen a book mobile bus that was front wheel drive, they started with a 4wd and deleted the rear drive shaft. I thought the transfer case would be fragile.

I dont know about chevrolet based chassis.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Magnakansas,

Thanks for replying. I have been seeing a lot o f550 truck buses.

I myself have a c class e450 with a v10 triton that would be relatively easy to convert to 4x4. My issues are with body flex, ground clearance, overhang and commercial vs consumer grade (e450 super duties are arguably commercial grade but I rank them lower than a proper school bus as far as durability).

IF I could find a converted f550 bus with low mileage and 4x4, I’d jump on it but I’m not finding them or they aren’t easy for me to travel to.
DarkBladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote