Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Coachwork: lewis
Chassis: ford e350
Engine: 7.1 liter disel
Rated Cap: 14
california laws?

I recently purchased my first short bus and i want to convert it into a tour bus for my band. I got stopped yesterday by a friendly police officer telling me he thinks i need to paint it a different color and remove the red flashing lights but wasn't sure of the laws himself. I looked all over the internet and cant the laws anywhere. Does anybody have a link they could post to help me out? I am super stoked about my bus and will be posting pictures of my conversion soon

wordsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: california laws?

I don't know the cali laws, but I do know you need to at least disable, remove or cover the original warning lights, signs, etc. Might be a good idea to remove the "School Bus" lettering to keep them from hassling you. As far as the paint color do some searching on here. It's a hotly debated subject in the communist state of cali.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Re: california laws?

From another thread here -

Quote:
27603. When a motor vehicle formerly used as a schoolbus is sold to any person and is used exclusively for purposes other than the transportation of pupils pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 39830) of Chapter 5 of Part 23 of the Education Code, it shall be painted by the purchaser a color different than that prescribed by the Department of the California Highway Patrol for schoolbuses before it is operated on any street or highway other than to have the vehicle painted or moved to a place of storage.
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6030