Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Deadly RV Fire In FL

http://www.wesh.com/news/person-foun...ounty/39050956

Looks like this one was an airstream. Man I hate to hear these stories, but they're important reminders to the rest of us.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when doing a build ALWAYS think of escape routes...

I see people taking out their emergency school bus windows and sealing up emergency rear doors and think WOW! what happens in a fire..

if you swap out to RV windows and they arent push-outs make sure there is a Life-Hammer attached to the wall right under the window so you can smash it if necessary...

if you keep your rear emergency door and build a bedroom back there make sure that door is operable...

you always need at least TWO METHODS of exit.. and PRACTICE with your family..

if you remove school bus windows and keep some, be sure to relocate your emergency push-outs to the windows you keep.. if your Bus had no push-outs.. coonsider buying some.. a regular school bus window is tough to knock out of its frame in a moment of panic and not big enough for a larger adult.. even if you can get it busted out..

even the best bus builds can have something go wrong.. or an appliance can fail and start a fire.. extuingishers are great in case you are right there when a fire starts.. or its cooking related etc.. but a fire started inside a tight encl;osed area like an RV will get HOT FAST and will deprive your body of oxygen FAST...

Be safe!!! Build Safe!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
when doing a build ALWAYS think of escape routes...

I see people taking out their emergency school bus windows and sealing up emergency rear doors and think WOW! what happens in a fire..

if you swap out to RV windows and they arent push-outs make sure there is a Life-Hammer attached to the wall right under the window so you can smash it if necessary...

if you keep your rear emergency door and build a bedroom back there make sure that door is operable...

you always need at least TWO METHODS of exit.. and PRACTICE with your family..

if you remove school bus windows and keep some, be sure to relocate your emergency push-outs to the windows you keep.. if your Bus had no push-outs.. coonsider buying some.. a regular school bus window is tough to knock out of its frame in a moment of panic and not big enough for a larger adult.. even if you can get it busted out..

even the best bus builds can have something go wrong.. or an appliance can fail and start a fire.. extuingishers are great in case you are right there when a fire starts.. or its cooking related etc.. but a fire started inside a tight encl;osed area like an RV will get HOT FAST and will deprive your body of oxygen FAST...

Be safe!!! Build Safe!!

-Christopher
Thats the first thing everyone seems to want to do; cover the windows and block the doors and put A/C units in the hatches.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Yeah, that's why I'm keeping my rear escape window, driver's side escape door, relocating all my emergency windows, and roof hatches. I've also got smoke and CO detectors planned fore and aft.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah I know people that couldn't fit through a bus window, but then you wouldn't be able to pass them in the isle of the bus either. Would the bi-fold doors be to narrow?

I wasn't aware some people were sealing up the buses that much. I always thought the more access points the better, as long as you're able to secure them when you're not in the bus.

How do people secure the top hatch? There doesn't seem to be any way to lock it and there are a few people that know they can get into a bus that way.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
Skoolie

Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Yeah I know people that couldn't fit through a bus window, but then you wouldn't be able to pass them in the isle of the bus either. Would the bi-fold doors be to narrow?

I wasn't aware some people were sealing up the buses that much. I always thought the more access points the better, as long as you're able to secure them when you're not in the bus.

How do people secure the top hatch? There doesn't seem to be any way to lock it and there are a few people that know they can get into a bus that way.
I was thinking of keeping one escape hatch for star gazing and safety. My best guess is a door chain. Honestly, if a thief is super determined and you parked in a secluded spot they can get in. Best option is (IMO) have a few VERY OBVIOUS camera's to deter criminals. Park in well lite places and lastly a great full timer insurance policy.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
One advantage is having a Type D/transit. No hood for them to climb up on and then on to the roof, so long as you don't have any ladders on the side. It'd take a *very* motivated burglar to get in through the roof hatches, especially since it'd be easier for them to just smash through the windshield.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, I agree to a limit. I'm driving a FE and there is noting real to climb on, but I've seen people climb up the mirrors like a jungle gym. True, you can't keep someone out if they're determined to get in. You can however try to make it difficult and memorable.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote