Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 07:20 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
$$ nuclear/ kwh ..$0.30-0.35/ kwh
$$ solar/ kwh. $0.06-$0.10/kwh

Simple as that.

I am sure that all the ev naysayers here are outside the average us mileage consumers of 50 miles per day otherwise they are a thief of their wallet..

Of course at 100 miles range and 25 kwh battery you could charge out of an ordinary 240 outlet at home overnight, no public charger needed.
Our car charges out of a normal 120 vac outlet overnight.

For the average us citizen ev is way superior then ice cars in every aspect and it shows in the sales numbers.

Nobody forces anybody to change to an ev.. only your wallet tells the story...but then people like to spend $40k on a kitchen remodel and not on a solar system..free country, up to you to choose if you are a slave or not.

Mother earth has given all her inhabitants an inheritance burried in the earth.
There are people who want to enjoy that today and do not give a **** about anybody else and there are people who would like to invest that in a better long term future and indepence for many generations to come.

That long term future means freedom, has little to do with convenience. Ukrainians can tell you all about freedom and convenience.
Without oil / energy dependence many wars would not have been fought and there could have been less suffering.

It is for good reason that the dod names global warming a national security concern..

Johan

sure doesnt seem to be working out for my neighbors that bought nice 25k solar systems.. the fine print you know? most peeps dont have 25k laying around to install such so they get on a program or take out a loan.. something that says "the savings will make the payments"... and sorry guy bit it aint happening here in central ohio.. the output is FAR below what was promised.. all those pretty charts and graphs about cloudy day output were BS... and the consumers are stuck with the payments on a system.. that the ROI will easily be twice what was advertised.. will the system even l;ast that long without costly maintenance or replacement of components? no one knows..

Yes Johan I wanted one of those systems on my house but i did deeper math..

beyond the sales guy (who drove a ram HEMI just like mine).. the math didnt add up..

perhaps its sunnier in central PA up on a hill (after all the groundhog does see his shadow more than not)... or maybe you have panels that are more efficient than the ones being pushed out to the consumers in the cities and suburbs..

as for charging an EV you didnt read a damn word i said.. have you looked at most apartment complexes (where the perfect EV driver would likely live).. they dont have EV chargers.. nor do they have outside outlets of any type.. (many times outside outlets are locked up to keep the homeless populations from setting up camp and making messes of nice places).. thus even a 120 volt outlet isnt available..

Yes to us in houses its easy (I have an L2 charger in my garage.. at some point ill have an EV or PHEV again.. for now a regular hybird Suits my needs)

EV's arent being forced on peoiple?? *cough* california..... slowly but srely banning everything from older diesels to even yard blowers... (fortunately battery electric yard tools are actually halfway decent)... but they are FORCING it on people.. regardless of whether they have enough solar (california does have the sun to make solar work well)...

and yes i 100% agree renewables should be a part of the energy process in this country.. but NO! I dont believe they should be forced and no I dont think we will be ready for 100% renewables for a long time unless some major breakthrough occurs in energy storage..if LONG TERM energy storage can be efficient and found then we have something.. with oil you can put it in a tank and leave it there.. for as long as you need to... with solar its really tough to take the great sun we do get in ohio in summer and store it will we have those endless cloudy cold still days that we get so many of here.. right now we cant put electrons in a tank efficiently and use them on a cloudy day 6 months away... hopefully someday we can... then we can really say that renewables are ready for full prime time...

Old 03-13-2022, 08:41 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Someday we will meet, have a beer and solve the world's problems
Old 03-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Chris what is the price of a kwh in your part of Ohio.
Over here I pay 0.15/kwh.. so for 100 miles ...25kwh I pay $3.75 with the current gas price that is less then a gallon. So about 100mpg. Hard to beat on gas or diesel.
Then almost zero maintenance cost for an ev.

25k is easy to loan, just as easy as getting a loan for your kitchen remodel. Just make a choice.

Cali.. they are trendsetters.. democracy... If you do not like the rules vote them out..
You can also complain about mandatory seat belts and I am sure they were trying to fight that to in the day.

Leaf blowers is one thing, lawnmowers is two ,Cali is a lot of desert. People should not have lawns over there, oh I forgot stays symbol. Probably can get a loan for that though. They slowly are getting the message..

Are you kidding me , no outside outlet at your place, how about the Christmas lights? I just have an extension cord plugged into my shop.. to much junk.. car has to be outside.

The price of solar can go further down if the electric power companies stop playing games. Did you know that according to the PUC , Pennsylvania utility company, that it is illegal to give electricity to your neighbour..

Yes the companies and government are in bed together..and it is not in Your best interest.

The point is , the world can do a lot better, the tech solutions are all there..but to implement will take power and money away from the energy players..

You remember the old joke, if you invent a car that drives on water today you will be dead tomorrow..

The free sun today will be taxed tomorrow same as the rainwater on your property is not yours in Colorado..
So it is better that you all resist ev and solar because that means I keep my freedom a little longer.

The thought that Elon could turn of the Tesla's in Moscow should tell you something. I am sure the hackers are scrambling there to get them disconnected.i am sure the Northstar system can do similar things.

As a kid I used to ride horses.. the towns give the Amish a hell of a time to keep there horses in town. Illegal here.. I think we should vote that out as well.. well if Putin gets a little twitch then we might ride horses again, at least some of us. It is all in front of you, all just a choice what is important to you and how important you think it is for the next generation.

Coming back to that bus.. 360 kwh and 260 miles... Commercial electric rate is $0.10, a charge is $36 about equivalent of 10 gallons...eh last week.. equivalent 26 mpg for a 45 ft double-decker.. as they say money talks..bullshit walks.

Johan
Old 03-14-2022, 02:39 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post

The WORST nuclear "disaster" in the U.S. is still the Three Mile Island incident. And yet the exposure of nearby residents was 43% of that received by a single chest X-ray and less than 1/2 of 1% of what the average U.S. resident receives in a year from NATURAL background radiation.
That's THE WORST U.S. nuclear disaster we've ever experienced.
No deaths, no injuries, no long term effects.
Can we say that about wind or solar?

In FACT, nuclear is safer than any other energy source available with just 0.04 deaths per TWh produced.
Rooftop solar power is ELEVEN TIMES more dangerous with 0.44 deaths/TWH
Wind is 4 times more deadly than nuclear at 0.15/TWh produced
And Natural Gas comes in at 100 times more deadly than nuclear with 4.0 deaths/TWh.

When we take the time to look up the FACTS we often find our pre conceived notions to be, to put it nicely....... WRONG

SOURCE:
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2008/0...y-sources.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_...sland_accident
If nuclear power is so safe, why are no nuclear power stations built in or near large cities? And nuclear's proponents always conveniently forget about the legacy of nuclear waste that our children will be eternally grateful for getting from us: it's truly the gift that keeps on giving. It's just dumb luck that a Fukushima or a Chernobyl hasn't occurred in this country, so far...

Back to the original subject of this thread: I saw this electric Van Hool at ABC Bus a mile from where I live, and like all Van Hools I'm not impressed. It seems cheaply made and insubstantial, unlike the Scania / Marco Polo I rode in MX that was beautifully made and exuded quality. Why are buses in the US so unappealing and mediocre?

John
Old 03-14-2022, 03:42 AM   #45
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
evetually wireless charging may get good enough where you charge your car from the road itself.. who knows. but we need to let the tech and innovation drive this.. governments should be there to support innovation but not to suppress the tried and true.. instead innovate the new to the point no one wants to use the old.. ie horse and buggy.. and yes some still use horse and buggy

-Christopher
I completely agree that the infrastructure for mass electric mobility on the roads needs to be built out along with the advancement of battery storage and charging. In the past the big bad government has supported and invested in nascent industries before they were considered viable for capitalistic investors. To me this is an appropriate and necessary function of the government. However, like you said it goes a bit far when they try to advance technology through negative and punitive restrictions. like destroying older engines. If they, the government, put that time effort and money into investing in the technology and infrastructure,as an example, electric charging stations nation wide, it would have a greater effect to further the use of electric vehicles by making them more viable for a wider range of use and reduce the initial investment barrier for small towns and cities across the nation to provide charging services.

But congress only does the bidding of the money holders.

It is a sad state that our government is in at this time. Congress is broken and has been via "citizens united" and the money flowing from highly capitalized individuals, corporations, and industries into the pockets of congressmen. Our congress men / women should be acting in the public's best interest, but that isn't the case when unlimited sums of money and favors are in play. Personally IMHO I think congress should be held to a legally binding fiduciary contract to their collective private constituency. How that could be done I have absolutely no idea.

As far as nuclear fission reactors go, 3 main things are preventing their use in the US.
1) Fear
2) Lobbying by oil & coal industry
3) Lack of governmental investing in base technology

Sorry about the rant.
Long live fusion, the great bright hope, err hype?
Old 03-14-2022, 08:16 AM   #46
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Horses typically
came stock with no-crash auto pilot, self homing, and summons features, as well. Just whistle.
@ DeMac
Yep!
Riding a horse is wonderful thing. I've even had the pleasure of swimming a horse across a tidal river. Can't do that with a tesla, or a dodge for that mater.

-Joe
Old 03-14-2022, 02:28 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Perhaps when I'm done rolling on the floor laughing I'll address the numerous fallacies I just read.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 03-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Chris what is the price of a kwh in your part of Ohio.
Over here I pay 0.15/kwh.. so for 100 miles ...25kwh I pay $3.75 with the current gas price that is less then a gallon. So about 100mpg. Hard to beat on gas or diesel.
Then almost zero maintenance cost for an ev.

25k is easy to loan, just as easy as getting a loan for your kitchen remodel. Just make a choice.

Cali.. they are trendsetters.. democracy... If you do not like the rules vote them out..
You can also complain about mandatory seat belts and I am sure they were trying to fight that to in the day.

Leaf blowers is one thing, lawnmowers is two ,Cali is a lot of desert. People should not have lawns over there, oh I forgot stays symbol. Probably can get a loan for that though. They slowly are getting the message..

Are you kidding me , no outside outlet at your place, how about the Christmas lights? I just have an extension cord plugged into my shop.. to much junk.. car has to be outside.

The price of solar can go further down if the electric power companies stop playing games. Did you know that according to the PUC , Pennsylvania utility company, that it is illegal to give electricity to your neighbour..

Yes the companies and government are in bed together..and it is not in Your best interest.

The point is , the world can do a lot better, the tech solutions are all there..but to implement will take power and money away from the energy players..

You remember the old joke, if you invent a car that drives on water today you will be dead tomorrow..

The free sun today will be taxed tomorrow same as the rainwater on your property is not yours in Colorado..
So it is better that you all resist ev and solar because that means I keep my freedom a little longer.

The thought that Elon could turn of the Tesla's in Moscow should tell you something. I am sure the hackers are scrambling there to get them disconnected.i am sure the Northstar system can do similar things.

As a kid I used to ride horses.. the towns give the Amish a hell of a time to keep there horses in town. Illegal here.. I think we should vote that out as well.. well if Putin gets a little twitch then we might ride horses again, at least some of us. It is all in front of you, all just a choice what is important to you and how important you think it is for the next generation.

Coming back to that bus.. 360 kwh and 260 miles... Commercial electric rate is $0.10, a charge is $36 about equivalent of 10 gallons...eh last week.. equivalent 26 mpg for a 45 ft double-decker.. as they say money talks..bullshit walks.

Johan

did you even read a word i said?? go back and re-read.. of course charging AT HOME is economical.. when you live in a HOUSE.. (which I do). . remember im not speaking of MYSELF.. im speaking of others.. my friends who live in these type situations where you need to charge publicly and have no outside outlets.. please actually read what i wrote and not assume it was me at my house..

25k loan for solar.. that monthly payment gets pretty steep with the interest they generally charge.. esp if the buyer doesnt have stellar stellar (760+) credit... the solar companies offer programs which they take some of the extra $$ generated by the solar (and would be sold to AEP) in lieu of payment.. however if the solar doesnt make enough power then the owner is stuck for the payment.. which in turn makes the ROI of system much longer.. if the owner sells the house then the terms are NET DUE.. hopefuly the solar would increase the value of the homes.. but doesnt seem to be.. similar homes with and without solar are selling very close in sales price..

a nice march sunny breezy day like today would be a boon for a solar syste, it will generate beautifully for the owner.. but we have to go through another 6 or 7 cloudy days after this one nice day..

Ive talked ot the neighbors with these systems.. (remember if you actually read what i wrote that I initially wanted one of these).. then I talked to the neighbors and got actual output numbers and they were happy to share with me the hidden costs the solar company didnt tell them about for installation also..

one had a roof leak and the solar company told them that their roof was older and so the solar company wouldnt cover it.. they were never informed their roof was too old before the sales pitch and install..

so yes the solar systems would be wonderful if the numbers added up and the costs of them werent so high..

homeowners with stellar credit and lots of equity could probablt do Ok with a HELOC that has much lower interest than the solar people charge..

you and I may live in a world where our credit is stellar and income is great but thats not the average homeowner..

sure I could write a check for 25k (the system size for my house would be 25-30k in 2019 dollars.. havent priced it since).. however the political nature of having to go to a neighbor and ask them to cut down their big front tree so I can get a few extra hours of prime sunlight prob wouldnt go over so well.. but thats just me one house..

but once again you miss my points which is DONT FORCE PEOPLE WITH GOVERNMENT.. ie dont phase out gas cars (EPA BS is designed to do just that).. instead innovate to make EVs better and people will choose them.. and the infracstructure.. my point about $3.75 a gallon is public chargers but you left a blind eye to that part.. of course at 13 cents a Kwh I can charge dirt cheap at my house.. (and I have an L2 charger)..

apartmernt dwellers typically dont string up christmas lights.. or if they do they are on their balconies.. its really not feasible to string extension cords down balconies and across sidewalks to charge their cars.. thats assuming their are balconies.. many of the apartments around here dont even have them..

if you are extremely lucky you live in a downtown high rise that has a couple chargers i nthe parking garage that have fair pricing.. but most are hired out 3rd parties with high Kwh prices of 75 cents or higher.. and there arent very many.. the number of them isnt such an issue now but add a few more EVs and now it is an issue.. so what do you do? core out concrete and spend lots of $$ to rebuild the parking garages? sure you do and up goes the KwH price to charge.. may as well buy a self contained hybird and be done with it.. 50 MPG (yes I easily achieve that in my hybrid elantra without even trying).. gets you quite far on that $4.00 gallon of gas compared to that 75 cent a kwh charger...
Old 03-14-2022, 03:16 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
did you even read a word i said?? .

You're asking a lot. Remember, it's a religion and it takes faith, not facts.
When you look at the "craddle to grave" impact of wind and solar you find they are at best net zero over fossil fuels while harboring large problems for grid systems such as baseline and scalable production levels.
When we REALLY look at EV's with the "craddle to grave" approach.....which by the way was how we looked at things before the political push for wind, solar, and EV's...... we find that the total impact of a so called "zero emissions" vehicle is significantly more than for fossil fuel vehicles.
Whether it's the ignored devastation caused by the need for the rare earth minerals necessary.... everything from mining, pollution, and war over resource deposits......
Or the need to replace those nasty batteries..... suuuuuure they'll all be properly recycled, it's required.... how many of those mercury containing curly Q bulbs forced on us by politicians eager for "campaign contributions" were ACTUALLY disposed of the way that "was required"?
Nope, at every layer, the legitimate research (as opposed to marketing jingles and political rhetoric) shows that the environmental impact of forcing wind, solar, and EV's on the market is significantly more.
One day the economics and science will undoubtedly develop into a viable and desirable alternative to fossil fuels. That day is not here and the ONLY reason wind, solar, and EV's are growing is that politicians are profiting from lobbyists for those industries and tax payers are footing the bill for massive subsidies at the research, production, and retail points.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 03-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #50
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
At the turn of the last century internal combustion, electric and steam were all on the scene at once. Internal combustion won because it was more convenient and flexible just like it is now. Electric lost out for the same reason that limits it now, range, battery technology isn't ready. As soon as I can drive an electric car 'exactly' as I do an internal combustion engined car for same cost I'll switch but I'm NOT going to switch because it's politically correct. EV needs to prove itself superior in a practical sense and it hasn't.
I completely agree with your reasons for not using an EV. But when the tech is there and it doesn't impact my accustomed convince or if it is in my financial favor to, I will get one.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:10 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I agree with Cadillackid and Hamskoolie.

Green is the newest world religion and I'm not interested in a religious discussion so I'll catch you all in other threads.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
If nuclear power is so safe, why are no nuclear power stations built in or near large cities? And nuclear's proponents always conveniently forget about the legacy of nuclear waste that our children will be eternally grateful for getting from us: it's truly the gift that keeps on giving. It's just dumb luck that a Fukushima or a Chernobyl hasn't occurred in this country, so far...
John

Apparently you've never heard the acronym "NIMBY"? All those people in those nasty cities want cheap (hell today they demand free) electric power but they don't want the means of producing that cheap power in their back yard.
Then again, they're largely ignorant (nothing to do with intelligence or educational level, simply ignorance of the reality of the topic). They're read the horror stories of the melt down at Three Mile Island and the horrors of Silkwood. Let's not forget the China Syndrome. NONE of which did what they "know" happened.
The ONLY reason nuclear isn't widespread in this country is ignorance of the masses that then makes it politically dangerous.
Chernobyl isn't even available as a legitimate case considering the total lack of concern for human life in the USSR/Russia. Their designs are substandard and dangerous from the get go. The death toll of Chernobyl is significantly larger than reported because..... the USSR..... they simply rounded up peasants and sent them into the plant to work. Their scientists calculated how long they could work before showing symptoms that would cause revolt in the next ones sent in...... those workers were then hauled out into the country on buses and dropped off to die from the radiation poisoning.
Fukushima, just as the Three Mile Island incident, blown way out of proportion. According to the WHO "the average lifetime effective doses for adults in the Fukushima prefecture were estimated to be around 10 mSv or less". One mSv is equal to 100 millirem so the Fukushima lifetime effective dose would be 1000 millirem or less.
In the U.S. the average background radiation exposure is 300 millirem per year. So the lifetime exposure for Fukushima residents is approximately 3 years and 3 months worth of background radiation.

Is it good to get irradiated? Not unless it's a medical procedure. Is it scary to have ANY exposure? Sure, they want it to be scary. Oil and gas companies don't want the competition so they put out their propaganda. "News" agencies love doom and gloom because it sells. Ambulance chasing lawyers jump at a chance to get an ignorant jury to award millions to alleged victims, and the reasons go on ad nauseum.
But that's all just emotional reactions based on ignorance.

We won't be seeing three headed fish or Godzilla in the Pacific. But they sure want you to think so.

https://www.who.int/news-room/questi...clear-accident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_...d_epidemiology
Old 03-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
A Heart Filled Topic. (and a cool bus)

It's interesting how much consideration we have regarding this subject. Clearly there is not one simple solution to upgrading the infrastructure of highways, public charging & multi-family dwellings. Nor one energy production solution, nuclear, wind, hydro, solar, biomass, etc. But we all have the same problem(s). Oil problems.

We ought not be dependant on continually burning fossil fuel at our current rate. Someday, the blackouts will stop rolling and stay out. Utilities can already choose any neighborhood in any zip code and flip a switch.

--------------

You mentioned religion.
What % of your income do you pay in tidings to Russia & OPEC? 100 gal tank....
...plus reserve....
...carry the one. 5-10%, $100/wk =$5200/yr

Oh, btw, OPEC members are....

-Saudi Arabia
-Kuwait
-Venezuela
-Nigeria
-Algeria
-Iran
-Iraq
-Libia
-Angola
-Qatar
-United Arab Emirates
-Gabon
-Ecuador
-Equatorial Guinea
-Republic of the Congo

All the wonderful places we love, even more than Russia. We're all workin' to send these fine folks our money. That's why everyone eats at Chik-fil-Aye, right?

So go to work tomorrow or send your VA check, just burn more gas. Support.....

If we pay more to foreign oil than income tax. Shouldn't we raise a flag from the list?

Citizens. Ha. Of which country, we have no idea.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

There have been screams of running out of oil since at least 1909 and it hasn't happened yet!

https://paleofuture.com/blog/2009/6/...sted-1909.html
There is currently more known oil than at any time in history!
The math has been done that shows that we've already burned more oil than all the plant and animal life that ever existed could have produced.

There is a relatively new theory, "debunked" and ridiculed of course by those with an agenda driven by oil, called ABIOTIC oil. There are many pro and con sites discussing abiotic oil theory but here's one to give you the gist without all the big words.

Scientists Prove Abiotic Oil Is Real!

Strategically it would be a good idea to import all the oil we consume. This would use the resources of other nations while keeping our oil for down the road when they run out and we are the only nation with oil. But we don't do that any more.

THE FACTS

THE US IS A NET OIL AND OIL PRODUCTS EXPORTER we export more than we import. SURPRISE

Of our imports, in Dec 2021 all OPEC nations combined supplied 12.4% of what we imported. 56% came from Canada. 7.5% from Mexico.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_mov...im0_mbbl_m.htm

In 2018, 2019, and 2020 the US was the WORLDS largest crude oil producer. 32 states produce oil in the US.
The TOP FIVE worldwide crude oil producers in 2020 were:
1 - 15% - United States

2 - 13% - Russia

3 - 12% - Saudi Arabia

4 - 6% - Iraq

5 - 5% - Canada
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...comes-from.php

There's a whole lot of ignorance and misunderstanding when it comes to the global commodity known and Crude Oil and Crude Oil Products. NO WE ARE NOT importing all of our oil from the middle east. In fact very little comes from there.
It's not the fault of the average Joe though. It's a concerted effort keep Joe in the dark about the REALITY of Oil in order to push the green religion here in the states.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:50 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuric Mind View Post
Fusion baby... FUSION. Coming soon to a planet near you!
As soon as they make it work, I'm right there with you. The latest I've read about it said the researchers have had something like a 7 second sustained fusion burst that produced more power than it took to start it going, which is promising.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:54 AM   #56
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
As soon as they make it work, I'm right there with you. The latest I've read about it said the researchers have had something like a 7 second sustained fusion burst that produced more power than it took to start it going, which is promising.
Yep it has been "in 20 years" for about 60 years. But the rate of advancement is much faster now. The international plan I think has it in about 30 years. But I think the private
sector will get there before that.

Fusion is the real answer a lot the energy issues.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuric Mind View Post
Yep it has been "in 20 years" for about 60 years. But the rate of advancement is much faster now. The international plan I think has it in about 30 years. But I think the private
sector will get there before that.

Fusion is the real answer a lot the energy issues.

the interesting thing about fusion is its being tech driven and not politics driven.. we dont have fusion power plants yet because the scientific / engineering community is driving it.. and its not ready for prime time..

when its ready you'll see it everywhere.. as more and more progress is made, more and more people jump on board.. just like cars did..

the original steam engine cars of the 1800s didnt go anywhere because the tech sucked.. you could get on your horse and ride to town and back easier and cheaper thasn you could get your steam car fired up and ready to drive..

once the Automobile tech got better more and more people got on board to make cars..

governments have gotten involved so much that have cars now gone too far?

people in their mid-late 30s rave about their cars that get 42 MPG.. but yet we had 42 MPG in Eco-Boxes of the late 70s / early 80s.. and you could still fix it in your back yard....

are the cars of today tech-driven or government forced? dont get me wrong I love my fancy dashboards that are a screen and the car drives itself.. but im also in the fortunate place that after its 3 years old i dont have to see it again.. nor do I have to disassmble it piece by piece to recycle its toxic parts separately from its metal.. nor do I have to pay the repair bill when its hybrid battery wears out nor when its A/C compressor locks up.. some poor sap that got Took by a scheister car lot will end up that way..

a scheister car lot took advantage of someone on a chevy chevette or a ford escort and you went ot the jumkyard, found some parts, called your friends and fixed it...

im not advocating going back to 1980 but I do think its possible to over-think and over-engineer things.. im guilty as heck of that.

there are some things that make lots of sense.. others dont.. Flammable refrigerants in A/C systems were extremely Taboo.. "you'll blow your house up".. yep HC (hydrocarbon) refrigerants cool really well with less energy usage.. but nope could nt use them.. now guess what.. A/C systems brand new ones are starting to use a blend R-454B.. which is guess what.. somewhat flammable.. ha!.. why now? who knows... other than the Gubmint said R-410a is a "bad-gas".. Propane (R-290) worked great when run in original R-22 equipment.. a Tad of R-22 mixed with it to circulate the oil... Ice cold and cheap.. but "you'll blow your house up"..

oh well.. im admittedly about tech and not gubmint.. after all I own a tech company and get to do all the fun stuff.. and my hobbies are tech related.. (home automation before it was "popular")..
Old 03-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #58
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Elvis Performs in Las Vegas Tonight.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post

Strategically it would be a good idea to import all the oil we consume. This would use the resources of other nations while keeping our oil for down the road when they run out and we are the only nation with oil. But we don't do that any more.

THE FACTS

THE US IS A NET OIL AND OIL PRODUCTS EXPORTER we export more than we import. SURPRISE

Of our imports, in Dec 2021 all OPEC nations combined supplied 12.4% of what we imported. 56% came from Canada. 7.5% from Mexico.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_mov...im0_mbbl_m.htm

In 2018, 2019, and 2020 the US was the WORLDS largest crude oil producer. 32 states produce oil in the US.
The TOP FIVE worldwide crude oil producers in 2020 were:
1 - 15% - United States

2 - 13% - Russia

3 - 12% - Saudi Arabia

4 - 6% - Iraq

5 - 5% - Canada
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...comes-from.php

There's a whole lot of ignorance and misunderstanding when it comes to the global commodity known and Crude Oil and Crude Oil Products. NO WE ARE NOT importing all of our oil from the middle east. In fact very little comes from there.
It's not the fault of the average Joe though. It's a concerted effort keep Joe in the dark about the REALITY of Oil in order to push the green religion here in the states.
---------------------

As honest as me saying "Elvis is alive". Both statements were true at some point in history. Time for a update.

THE US IS AN OIL NET IMPORTER

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=51338

According to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), in 2020, the difference between U.S. crude oil imports and exports fell to its lowest point since at least 1985.
Net crude oil imports subsequently rose by 19% in 2021 to an average of 3.2 million barrels per day (b/d) as crude oil consumption increased in response to rising economic activity. EIA forecasts that the United States will continue to import more crude oil than it exports in 2022, reaching an estimated annual average of 3.9 million bpd.

Thank our below average Joe, he did that.

‐---------------
Ham,
How does one ignore the truth, while simultaneously calling others ignorant?
Old 03-19-2022, 12:19 PM   #59
Bus Geek

The US shut a lot of oil when it stayed In the 20s and 30s, a guy I know who worked for years in an oil company said their rule was shale oil wasn’t profitable until the average price was $55 a barrel, and some wells needed to be closer to $60. Oil say below that for a good while so alot of that oil got shut. We can see rig counts coming back up as is daily Barrels but it isn’t instant and they need to feel like the price is going to stay up for awhile.

With Covid in play it’s tough to predict prices. The Covid wave could take serious hold in the world and while we aren’t likely in Europe and US to shut down like we did in 2020, china will (is a bit).. and they are a huge consumer of oil. Russia and Ukraine could agree and Russia oil gets back in the mainstream market..

But really any numbers I read that are pre march 2020 I discount. The world markets in almost every commodity are very different now
Old 03-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post

Back to the original subject of this thread: I saw this electric Van Hool at ABC Bus a mile from where I live, and like all Van Hools I'm not impressed. It seems cheaply made and insubstantial, unlike the Scania / Marco Polo I rode in MX that was beautifully made and exuded quality. Why are buses in the US so unappealing and mediocre?

John
Arkansas One, the only nuke plant I'm familiar with, is in Russelville AR and just a few miles from the capital city of Little Rock. Its cooling water is from Lake Dardanelle, which is part of the Arkansas River, which eventually empties into the Mississippi. It's not a huge city, but then a lot of Arkansas cities are actually small with large suburban areas around them. There's probably 100,000 people living within 5 miles of it. And, I'd have no issue at all if they wanted to build a nuke plant on the lake I live next to. It's large enough for one.

So far as the nuclear nightmare, the fast breeder reactor is able to use spent fuel. Over the next 500 years, existing nuclear waste could be used to make electricity while at the same time breaking the fuel down into something less dangerous. What makes nuke waste dangerous is only 1 percent of the available energy is used. The more energy extracted from a set amount of fuel, the less radioactive waste there is. At some point they would have to convert from destruction to reformulate to keep the plants going, but that would be a thousand years into the future by which time we would have converted all nuclear waste into spaceborne fissile bombs to ward off the Denovian invasion. So, if nuclear waste is a concern, you should be backing the breeder. Using it until it's no longer a problem is a far better solution to burying it in the desert and hoping nothing happens out there for the next 30,000 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
electrek, electric bus, scooter doll