Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 02:39 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Oops, that load was not secured!

My wife ran across this video from 10-10-2020 where a semi rear-ended another semi and his load shifted right through the engine!

https://m.facebook.com/1000031507808...1985192916475/

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:43 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
My wife ran across this video from 10-10-2020 where a semi rear-ended another semi and his load shifted right through the engine!

https://m.facebook.com/1000031507808...1985192916475/
Every trucker's nightmare. Much more common with open-deck (flatbed) loads than anything else. In fact, we call rolls of steel sheeting chained down with the ability to roll the length of the bed 'suicide' loading because it's so easy for the roll to break loose and just roll right through the back of the truck cab on heavy braking. And it WILL kill the driver.

I've seen my share of this sort of thing, though I was fortunate enough that it never happened to me. Mostly because I did my job, made sure the load was secured properly, did my required inspections and checklists, and didn't roll with equipment that was questionable. Probably pissed off a lot of dispatchers, shippers and receivers, but I probably saved a lot of lives, too.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:55 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Did you notice that the rebar went under the driver's seat and between his legs?

It is amazing nobody got hurt.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:02 AM   #4
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Did you notice that the rebar went under the driver's seat and between his legs?

It is amazing nobody got hurt.
Yurp... Driver needs to buy a lottery ticket IMO.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:00 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Looks like he had plenty of straps on it. Wonder what happened that he was in a position to rear end another truck?
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Looks like he had plenty of straps on it. Wonder what happened that he was in a position to rear end another truck?
Straps mean nothing with this type of load. That load should never have been put on a flatbed without an integral forward bulkhead -- period. Or at least a headache rack on the back of the sleeper cab to protect the driver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatbed With Bulkhead.png
Views:	5
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	49909

BSF and I can both tell you they were likely not paying attention or following too closely. We're trained to look 15 seconds down the road and allow 600-800 feet following distance. This guy is probably out of a good truck and likely going to have a hard time finding a job. I can't think of a safety director in the world that wouldn't call this one preventable. Guy's lucky to be alive.

This is exactly why I tell fellow skoolie owners to be mindful of their surroundings and following distance when driving their rigs... They don't stop near as quick as you would need them to sometimes. I recommend 58 mph cruising speed in 60-65 zone, and 63 in 65-70 zones. So what if it pisses everybody else off, that's what the passing lane is for. You'll find that you use the brakes about 500% less, keeping them cool for when you REALLY need them.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Flatbed loads are the most intimidating looking simply because you can see the freight and how tenuously it is secured! It is important to remember though that ALL tractor trailer trucks carry heavy and often unpredictable loads even if it's all out of sight inside an enclosed van. I had a load last week that was a mix of various sizes gaylords in a dry van trailer. The rear row was strapped for stability but along the route someone cut me off and the electronic collision mitigation system applied the brakes hard enough to shift the load. When I arrived at my destination, the strap was hanging limp and the pallets were several feet forward of the strap! That much shift can be enough to unbalance a truck and cause a rollover, or make the truck no longer legal based on the weight distribution, and in many cases cost the driver and/or carrier the value of the freight when the consignee refuses to accept it in that condition. All because some ignorant car driver was talking on their phone and didn't decide until the very last possible second that they wanted to take that exit three lanes away so they swerved in front of an 80,000 pound wrecking ball doing 65 miles per hour.

I don't know about the situation in the video but it seems likely the truck driver was following too closely and/distracted as it seems he rear-ended another truck which caused the situation. Indeed also without a headache rack or integrated bulkhead he is lucky to be alive.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I don't miss being an OTR driver. My loads in the trailer would shift even if I nailed down the pallets to the floor and strapped them. So many idiots who would just cut in front and hit the brakes. I enjoyed seeing the country and that was it. The dispatchers always pushing harder and harder. This was in 1993. Logs were easily fudged by pen. I would take the byways to avoid weigh stations just to make it in time. Hated that whole part of it. Aside from that, it Was fun and without GPS nobody would really bother you. Cell phones were a true luxury. A beeper is all I had and a row of 20 pay phones at the nearest truck stop to return calls to the dispatcher. Now they can pinpoint exactly where you are, shut you down and put you out.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Shorty 6 window handicap
Engine: Int 444e
Rated Cap: 21
In 1976 I saw a truck wreck. He was also hauling rebar. He only hit a cow and the load went through the cab and windshield. Higher than this accident. There was nothing left of the driver.
kcblkeeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
They push truckers too hard I have almost been killed by truckers more times than I can count.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
those aluminium racks only slow the load down. driver life is not the concern in this industry as its cheaper to kill a driver than to pay the disability or long term medical costs. thats why we still do not get air bags in our trucks. thats also why they want driverless trucks
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I am so looking forward to driverless trucks simply for the reason that a majority of car-truck collisions are caused by the car driver being reckless and stupid but the truck driver still gets blamed and his livelihood destroyed even if he is aquitted. Police will have to find the car driver at fault because god knows the self-driving technology will be faultless and attorneys will be crying foul that they have no one to sue. The carrier? They'll defer to the manufacturer. The manufacturer? They'll have already lawyered up before they introduced the technology.

We're halfway there already with all the tech that's already in modern trucks. Sensors and driver augmentation and cameras seem like nuisances and I get as aggravated by them as anyone but at the same time my carrier has yet to lose a lawsuit because they can always prove the truck and the driver were in the right. Even when I've had fender benders from a-holes cutting me off I can show the officer the dashcam video at the scene and I'm driving away clean while the other guy is getting his ticket. I even had one situation in my personal vehicle (yes I have dash cams in them too and here's why) a month or two afterwards my insurance company called about the incident but I had no claim. They explained the other guy was claiming hit and run damage and I offered them the video. A month later my premiums went DOWN by 1/3! And he probably got his insurance cancelled.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote