Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Recall: Electric Panel, Square D

Saftey announcement by the
US Consumer Product Safety Commission

CPSC.Gov - Schneider-ElectricTM-Recalls-1-4-Million-Electrical-Panels-Due-to-Thermal-Burn-and-Fire-Hazards
The artical above has a list of affected Catalog & Part Numbers.

Schneider Electric's Square™ D QO™ Plug-on-Neutral Load Centers can overheat, posing thermal burn and fire. In the US, about 1.4 million (In addition, 289,000 were sold in Canada)

This recall involves indoor, outdoor and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) Square D QO Plug-On Neutral Load Centers that were installed in homes, recreational vehicles, or commercial establishments, including restaurants, manufacturing facilities and warehouses, commercial lighting and others. The circuit breaker boxes were sold in gray and come in various sizes (square and rectangular). The recalled circuit breaker boxes were manufactured between February 2020 and January 2022, with date codes between 200561 and 220233.

For installed outdoor load centers, the manufacturing date codes are printed on the inside of the cover or door of the unit or on the box itself when the cover or door is open.

For installed indoor load centers, a qualified electrician can locate the interior date codes that are not visible to the home owner.

Circuit breaker boxes with covers that were manufactured between December 2019 and March 2022 are also included in this recall. The affected catalog/part numbers can be found inside the electrical panel doors for both the U.S. and Canada.

DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I think I may have one of those units. I'll check the numbers Saturday. They don't go into to many details and I have no idea what a "plug on neutral" is. I'm a qualified electrician though so that might help.
Thanks for the heads up
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I think I may have one of those units. I'll check the numbers Saturday. They don't go into to many details and I have no idea what a "plug on neutral" is. I'm a qualified electrician though so that might help.
Thanks for the heads up

The plug-on-neutral breaker is a type of breaker you can connect directly to your neutral bar, thus negating the need for a pigtail connection. It’s almost the same as typical AFCI and GFCI breakers but isn’t compatible with most standard breaker panels.

Schneider Electric - Plug-on Neutral
(YouTube Video)
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Good find Demac. I swapped out my meter panel and three subpanels myself in this time range. Luckily i used Homeline version for all of them or this would be a real life changer for me. Was going to go ahead and use a Homeline for my bus too, since i have a load of breakers and parts for them.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:06 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
The plug-on-neutral breaker is a type of breaker you can connect directly to your neutral bar, thus negating the need for a pigtail connection. Itís almost the same as typical AFCI and GFCI breakers but isnít compatible with most standard breaker panels.

Schneider Electric - Plug-on Neutral
(YouTube Video)
I get it, they're using the retention clip for a neutral connection My background is industrial and then, for the last 25 years, commercial. Except for the bus everything I use is bolt-on.
Thanks again for the explanation, I learned something today!
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:32 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
"Luckily" for me, Home Depot only carries the Homeline series in the store. I know this because I accidentally bought QO breakers for a Homeline panel, then had to go back and buy Homeline breakers when I found out they were not compatible many months later when I was trying to assemble the thing quickly.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:19 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I get it, they're using the retention clip for a neutral connection My background is industrial and then, for the last 25 years, commercial. Except for the bus everything I use is bolt-on.
Thanks again for the explanation, I learned something today!
It looks like the 'plug on neutral' box is the one with metal rails for the breakers to clip onto.

The recall doesn't go into how they fail but my guess is it has something to do with the size or type of connection between that metal rail and the neutral lug.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:26 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
It looks like the 'plug on neutral' box is the one with metal rails for the breakers to clip onto.

The recall doesn't go into how they fail but my guess is it has something to do with the size or type of connection between that metal rail and the neutral lug.

I have plug on neutral homeline series, and they aren't being recalled, but i cant see how the QO would be much different. Its a pretty straightforward design.

On the recall it had one report of loose wires, could just be the terminal or something.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote