Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
I recently parted out 2 class A motorhomes, trust me you don't want in any kind of wreck with those things... What overpriced junk, very unsafe is putting it lightly, really they are death traps at best.

PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Oddly enough, I don't believe motorhomes are required to meet any sort of crash test standards.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Oddly enough, I don't believe motorhomes are required to meet any sort of crash test standards.
I've never seen any testing or research done on motorhomes or holiday trailers either - probably time for it to happen - most likely the most dangerous vehicles to travel in, ever ......................
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I've never seen any testing or research done on motorhomes or holiday trailers either - probably time for it to happen - most likely the most dangerous vehicles to travel in, ever ......................
The worst I parted was a 30' 1984 pace arrow on a GM P30 platform, every 7-8' there was a 1" box tube steel beam holding up the walls and roof. That is beyond horrible. Sofa that is intended to be used as a seat while moving and had seat belts was just screwed down with wood screws to the floor, no bolts other than the seat belts were bolted into the crappy rusted up frame work. And as always the LP tank just behind the driver side front wheel to go boom if you bottom her out or get hit on the left side, because there isn't jack protecting it.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
The worst I parted was a 30' 1984 pace arrow on a GM P30 platform, every 7-8' there was a 1" box tube steel beam holding up the walls and roof. That is beyond horrible. Sofa that is intended to be used as a seat while moving and had seat belts was just screwed down with wood screws to the floor, no bolts other than the seat belts were bolted into the crappy rusted up frame work. And as always the LP tank just behind the driver side front wheel to go boom if you bottom her out or get hit on the left side, because there isn't jack protecting it.
my stepson is in the process of rebuilding his 30something' 5th wheel trailer because of what had seemed like a minor roof leak - thin wall 1x2 aluminum square tubing in no discernible structural pattern - 1/8th inch plywood with an inch of styrofoam between them used as structural components - 4' between ceiling rafters - a big piece of junk - my step son is no carpenter, but he is willing to tackle anything it seams, and even though he is making some mistakes, his 'NEW' trailer is going to be 1000 times more sturdy than it was new
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote