Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2021, 09:50 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I have a better idea. Lets start managing the forests better so we don't have so many fires and pollute the air and burn down peoples houses and we can have nice places to camp and fish in.
That's the best idea I've heard in a long time.
Oh to dream!

Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:55 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
This has all been coming for years.. there’s so much pushback in the west coast bid to ban diesels that they know getting it done in the other states it’s near impossible.. so this is their way to leverage it. If you take all the engines off the road then there’s no need to ban them.. the EPA rebate to schools and cities and now some private companies are being extended rebates to procur new semi trucks is another way..

I hate legislation like this however reality is that more and more of the busses in auction are 2004 plus which all have EGR. Egr was a bigger failure point on Navistar than anything.. many have VGT turbos already..

The number of pre 2003 busses for sale is less and less every year..
skoolies have to learn something new just like old posts on this forum once hated all engines with an ECM..

But yeah settlements like this are far reaching and scary.
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Maybe Navistar will buy a super majority of those old dirty engines in CA.
Perhaps generating a delay of an all out ban on old diesels in CA.
It is well known that whatever CA does can be followed by other states but not initiated by other states.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:21 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Some of us still hate diesel engines with ECM's..... or any other computer controls.......

A good mechanical diesel engine can run post apocalypse and actually be repaired. Computer engines will have to be re engineered and converted to mechanical operation to do so.
The best chassis out there is the M35A2 multi fuel deuce and a half. In a post apocalypse world that chassis could be driven cross country with no fuel concerns because it will literally burn almost anything. Gasoline, transmission fluid, motor oil, diesel, vegetable oil, kerosene. Hit the interstate with a fuel filled "water buffalo" in tow. When you get low on fuel (about 2500 miles) just hit a big city and jump down with a drain pan and a siphon hose. Drain the crank cases and transmissions of all the abandoned cars and siphon the fuel tanks. Fill your tank and that 500 gal tank trailer behind you then head off for the next 2500 miles.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #25
Bus Geek

more conspiracy theory BS... **DELETE**

I have a mechanical bus.. I love it.. runs great.. takes me anywhere i want to go.. burns 30% more fuel than my ECM bus.. if the engine ever dies beyond repair in it.. itll get a computerized engine..

for the average guy the choice is clear.. quit balkin at anything new, learn it, master it, and drive it.. nope its not as good as the old stuff.. but the alternative is to sit at home and cry you arent travelling the country since you cant find a bus.. or pay a mechanic all the money you earn to fix it.. learn the new stuff, master it and collect money from those who balk at it but have to use it eventually
Old 10-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Some of us relish the ability to repair things or make them work in a pinch.

Try driving a computerized, fuel injected engine from Waikiki to Kaneohe Bay (over the Pali) without a fuel pump. Can't be done. But I've done it in a non computerized car with carburetors.

I'll take a non computerized vehicle any day of the week
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 10-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Geez. Its not just me that sees the writing on the wall. *sigh*
Better get my next service done soon...
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:18 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Some of us relish the ability to repair things or make them work in a pinch.

Try driving a computerized, fuel injected engine from Waikiki to Kaneohe Bay (over the Pali) without a fuel pump. Can't be done. But I've done it in a non computerized car with carburetors.

I'll take a non computerized vehicle any day of the week

my point in the first place is that you are old school thats fine.. but mechanical busses are darn hard to find these days... sure the yare the easiest to work on and easiest to operate.. I dont doubt you.. but the average joe coming along to build themselves a camper or a tiny home is going to pay quite the premium for a likely worn out rust bucket except for a unicorn all-mechanical bus.. even ecm-only busses are more scarce on the market now.. which means its ECM + EGR. (04-07) thats mostly out there now.. yep ECM only units can still be found but not as easy..

rather than just tell people to go buy a mechanical or that a mechanical is the best. (so they can spend years sitting home looking for some said unobtanium bus vs travelling the country) because some dudes on a forum say the only thing driveable is a mechanical unit??? yeah that aint reality..

yep ECM vehicles are gonna be more complex.. fact of life.. and I dont think anyone will ever take away your mechanical bus.. (even if the govt goes far on a limb you'll be able to declare it as historical)..

people need to quit scaring the *&(*( out of new members and maybe empower them to learn about the new stuff and make educated decisions on what to buy and not to buy..

ive got everything from a carbed gasser to a DD 8V-71, a mechanical Bosch I-6, and yes my ECM engine in my garage.. so no im not Anti Old-school. .. but im not Anti New school either..

I almost had myself a Shorty C2 with all modern drivetrain to play with. but the seller Sniped the auction by pulling it down off-market. just before the auction ended because the price was low.. didnt realize you could do that but apparently you can...

helped a family Bulletproof their CE200 (VT365) about 3 and a half years ago.. just got a message from them tonight that they finished their 75,000 mile Mega journey of North america in flying colors with Zero engine issues...
Old 10-30-2021, 05:09 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

For those that aren't mechanically savvy there's nothing at all with a vehicle that's all computers. They're going to be taking it to a mechanic (shop or independent or even a fellow skoolie) anyway. But for those of us that are mechanically inclined or even formally trained, computers are just parts that can go bad and are hard to source in the best of conditions.
As for unobtainum....there are plenty of rust free buses available with only an ECM as well as from prior to the 21st century.

The rust issue is largely geographical but rigs do get moved about so where you find it may not be where it spent time gathering rust. Those salt belt rigs are often better suited for donor rigs than conversion. Those in the salt belt (often mistakenly called the rust belt) would be well advised to take a flight to Arizona or some other relatively rust free locale.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:42 AM   #30
Bus Geek

point missed.. AGAIN.. im not talking about the outliers who will go search every crevice and corner for an old bus. (like I did to find that Superior.. which is a gasser with a carb).. most are going on the mainstream auction or dealers looking for a bus..

and idea being that if they are taught to LEARN the new stuff, NOT SHUN it!. sure right now its easy to find ECM only busses.. but now is the time to get educated on the next level to know whats invokved in owning / repairing, and spotting those that are already broken..

as for the old stuff.. look no further than my back door. where the city of columbus had 40 bluebird shorties.. all of them were mechanical DT466 and DT360. only 2 remain (because they were under-the-table VIN swapped and vermonted).. the other 38 perfectly running but somewhat rusty busses were EPA'd. and therefore destroyed.. the state of ohio is STICKLER for mechanical road worthiness.. of course rust kills stuff here.. but point being in an instant 40 (3 perfectly good mechanical engines were trashed..

the option used to be there to make new into old by deleting emission controlled engines.. but the EPA started going after shops who built the tools t odo it.. now the EPA is even targeting the individuals thenselves and sending them to the poorhouse for life (with Huge fines that cant be escaped by bankruptcy)... they are doing it even in states that have no inspections and have no smog checks...

it sucks but its where things are going..
Old 10-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
All you new-fangled kids and your "motors".

Just give me a horse and cart. The horse eats grass anywhere I go. No grass? It'll eat any green stuff. Multi-fuel! No computers! Self-repairing (to some extent), no tools needed, nor mechanical knowhow on how-to-fix.

It breaks beyond repair? I eat it. Fully recycled, no trash-dump build-up.

The farts, though. Almost as bad as a computerized diesel, but still better, which is still better yet than a non-computerized diesel.

so the non-computerized diesel looses in last place in my book.

Mechanical fuel pumps break, also. Sometimes their seals go bad. No pump, no go. I saw it happen in a Mazda pickup. I guess you could put a jug on the roof and run a syphon-hose down to the fuel-intake and limp back home, but at that point, just carry a new fuel pump with you instead of a jug and hoses; it's smaller and easier.

And I'll trade using a volt/ohm-meter once in a while for 30% better fuel economy any day. It really ain't rocket science. Tuning a carb or adjusting the "fuel plate"? tricky and takes patience, lots of education, time, experience, etc. Tune a computerized motor? It's done already, lets go get a beer.

I had a non-computerized truck back in the day. It ran like sh*t quite often, could never figure it out. Finally, after 20 years, I did find the problem. My computerized truck tells me what's wrong, & I fix it that same day.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
And when the apocalypse hits and I'm the only one left on the planet, I think driving cross country in my army-vehicle is going to be my last concern.

And if I was not alone, I would be foolish to try, lest I be killed and my vehicle taken. Wait, you have an AR-15? HA HA HA! I don't care if you have grenade launchers. You're dead.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #33
Bus Geek

one area i wish we would go back to the Old is HAM radios.. loved when you either bought a heath-kit and built your own rig, ot if you bought one, when it broke you took the cover off and there was a schematic on the inside of the cover.. went t oradio shack, bought the parts, soldered em in and done!!..

I opened up a new iCom recently.. i was like.. what? just another cheap POS chinese radio...
Old 10-30-2021, 03:47 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
And when the apocalypse hits and I'm the only one left on the planet, I think driving cross country in my army-vehicle is going to be my last concern.
I think it depends on what form the apocalypse takes and what's on the other side of the country that is worth making the journey.

The potential for being mobile in a world that's flung back to the pre-industrial era is the advantage one can leverage to stay alive. A hard-working non-electronic diesel can survive an electromagnetic pulse and burn almost any petrochemical as noted earlier. The post-apocalyptic landscape of this nature would be littered with dead cars and trucks that serve as potential petro-caches but the purpose of the journey is more important than the mode of transportation. Given a little time, no doubt resourceful and ingenious individuals could fashion comparable workarounds to cope in a world now basically before technology.

I cannot remember the tv series but whatever happened this was basically the premise that all technology was rendered useless. The world was plunged into darkness and those who figured out how to rapidly adapt and unburden themselves from the convenience of modern technology as well as the shackles of social convention were the ones who made it through the first harrowing days of the aftermath. Looting became the only source of food and as much as one's humanity might compel them to want to help others, when those others became feral and would seek to kill you for your meager supplies you have to have determined to what lengths you are willing to go to stay alive and that might mean taking their life to preserve yours.

Those who made it through the first year in this tv program showed ingenuity in adapting, turning suburban landscapes into family-feeding mini-farms and reviving pre-electronic modes of transportation like the horses and even a coal-burning steam engine resurrected from the local museum! That part I smiled at because supposedly it came from my neck of the woods but when I watched the episode I knew it wasn't filmed onsite because that train station looked nothing like the one I'm familiar with!

Anyways, my point is sure there's some ancient behemoths out there that could pretty much survive anything we can imagine but unless you're a doomsday prepper you're not thinking in these terms when you're shopping for a school-bus-turned-RV. If you're in the market for a bug out bus, well even then there are steps you can take to harden your electronic dependent diesel against an EMP. But I think trying to sell everyone on non-electronic diesels because that's what YOU look for is a bit disingenuous. And even if you go non-electronic, the lifespan of most diesels in a post-apocalyptic setting, those that can't burn basically any petroleum derivative but require specifically fuel grade petroleums, is going to only be about a year anyways because once the reserve of abandoned fuels begins to age and lose it's efficacy as fuel these engines will eventually leave you walking. That's why I would build a b.o.b. but only for the purpose of escaping the initial calamity, not as a long-term survival strategy when it falls to me alone to repopulate the species.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:54 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I cannot remember the tv series but whatever happened this was basically the premise that all technology was rendered useless. The world was plunged into darkness ...
I believe the series you're referring to is "Revolution". Some sort of government experiment intended to be a controlled destruction of electrical technology was released and rendered the world powerless.
And here's the thing.....It has actually happened in the past and will happen again though totally via nature. A Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) hurls out billions of tons charged matter from the surface of the sun. They happen all the time but being 93 million miles from the sun on a specific vector, the odds are low that a major one will impact us in any given day. But they do hit us and we just had a small one significant enough to disrupt HAM ionospheric propagation of HAM signals.
In a catastrophic CME event the charged material passing across transmission lines, will create massive electrical charges that will blow out the electrical grid but worse, crossing the wires and printed circuits inside computer boards and even chips. Basically everything that plugs in or runs off a battery.

Now, in the 21st century, what controls EVERYTHING in our essential infrastructure? Computers and computer chips. The electrical grid, the municipal water supply, the trains and ships that move products from manufacturers to distribution centers, the trucks that bring those products to the retailer or your door. Though it's possible for a CME to impact earth long enough to affect the entire planet it's far more likely to hit roughly half, the part facing the sun on impact.
So, if it hits north America, we will indeed be in the dark ages for a LONG time, as in years, a decade, or even more. And so, there are many reasons to be a "prepper" because when (not if) a catastrophic CME hits, there will be a lot of desperate people. I'd like to remain mobile, self sufficient, and alive.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:55 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
one area i wish we would go back to the Old is HAM radios.. loved when you either bought a heath-kit and built your own rig, ot if you bought one, when it broke you took the cover off and there was a schematic on the inside of the cover.. went t oradio shack, bought the parts, soldered em in and done!!..

I opened up a new iCom recently.. i was like.. what? just another cheap POS chinese radio...
LOL.....HAM radio's. My ICom 7300 is AWESOME. Plugs into the lap top and an LDG external tuner. Automatic logging of of the radio data, tune my 20/40 dipole to pretty much everything from 6-80 meters. On the fly adjustable twin filters, and the list goes on.
But open it up and....yeah..... hand me that microscope, the tweezers, and a fancy hair drier please.
In class I pass around a little baggie with 100 discrete SMD's in it. And they are so small you have to REALLY look to spot them.

But when it comes to vehicles, being a mechanic, I HATE all the computerized BS that they've stuffed into our vehicles. Sure they come with higher performance, better fuel economy, and lower routine maintenance but the trade off is that when a computer goes down your vehicle may actually be "totaled" and you may well be sitting on the side of the road (or worse).

I'll take the "good ol days" when a bit of skill and hand tools could rebuild, by bass, or jerry rig everything necessary to make a mostly intact engine run. Or a HAM radio transceiver work. Or turn a GI canteen into a radio receiver inside a POW camp during WWII (yeah that was not only kewl but damn brave since the penalty for discovery was death)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:43 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
I believe the series you're referring to is "Revolution".

And here's the thing.....It has actually happened in the past and will happen again though totally via nature.
That does sound like the title of the tv show.

And absolutely a naturally occurring CME or an EMP focused weapon are both far more likely scenarios than a messy nuclear attack which was the big fear of the 20th century. Nuclear war leaves vast uninhabitable lands and the fallout eventually circles the globe. An EMP disrupts the electronics which nowadays is integral to everything and would instantly render modern life impossible.

Look at how crazy people have behaved in the last year and a half when simple things like toilet paper have been in short supply - imagine now the anarchy if everything is in short supply or just non-existent. Where will your family's next meal come from when there's no groceries anywhere? How will you seek other alternatives when there's no gas anywhere but it doesn't matter because every vehicle built in the last 40 years has some sort or electronics that are rendered useless? Or for that matter any vehicle that relies on a battery and electric starter motor?

As far as naturally occurring, the Carrington Event in 1859 was the world's first warning about the vulnerability of modern life to the forces of nature. 1859!! A Google search will reveal some very fantastical reading about first person accounts of the effects and although that severe an event doesn't occur often they do occur and modern society has done virtually nothing to protect from it's effects. So I totally get why people prep for doomsday scenarios or TEOTWAWKI because as a species we're ripe for our own self-destruction. And when I consider what is the reality of my surviving such a scenario, mobility isn't actually as high on my list of priorities as you'd think but I'm also a realist in that my position in the order of the universe isn't actually all that high either. So sure I'll prep and plan to shelter in place and protect my family but I'm unlikely to beat the odds if my number is up in the galactic lottery.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:
And absolutely a naturally occurring CME or an EMP focused weapon are both far more likely scenarios ....
Today they are but there was an era where we were on the brink a number of times. The Cuban missile crisis is just the best known. FYI remember all the drills in school to get under the desk to "protect you from falling debris whether it was an earthquake or a nuke attack? Well that's not why they wanted us under our desks. It was because it made it easier to locate the bodies when the roof CRUSHED those desks like egg shells.

Quote:
...messy nuclear attack which was the big fear of the 20th century. Nuclear war leaves vast uninhabitable lands and the fallout eventually circles the globe.
NOT to make lite of the aftermath of nuclear weapons but....1) all that nuclear material came out of the natural world and so fallout is simply natures way of spreading it back out....far more widely than where we found it. 2) I've stood at ground zero of the first nuclear weapon ever used in war just 35 years after the detonation. There was already a thriving metropolis rebuilt in the same place.
My point being that while they're not at all "nice", a few are not all that concerning unless you're at or near the site of the fusion.

Quote:
Where will your family's next meal come from when there's no groceries anywhere?
The same place our toilet paper came from in the hillarious toilet paper crisis of 2020. Yeah they weren't laughing at me any more...LOL

Quote:
As far as naturally occurring, the Carrington Event in 1859...
That's the one. Telegraph operators got electrocuted, some fatally, fires were started in telegraph offices, lots of interesting stories. Those miles and miles long telegraph lines were the perfect medium for the charged CME particles to cross thus inducing a current via the Faraday principle.....and key operators on the ends of those wires.....OUCH.

Quote:
And when I consider what is the reality of my surviving such a scenario, mobility isn't actually as high on my list of priorities as you'd think but I'm also a realist in that my position in the order of the universe isn't actually all that high either. So sure I'll prep and plan to shelter in place and protect my family but I'm unlikely to beat the odds if my number is up in the galactic lottery.
If yo survive the first 24 hours your odds increase at a non linear rate. Survive 3 days and you've got a damn good chance of making it. Make it through the first week and then the first month.....You're probably pretty well situated for the duration.
A lot of preppers have "go" or "bug out bags". Well we have bug in bags and while they will support us if we have to go, we're staying put unless it is simply untenable. We have more food, ammo, medical, and other supplies than we can carry and we know those around us and the area. If it becomes untenable, then we'll adjust.

It sure would be nice if the 40' beast would still run after a Carrington type event though. Because there's a lot of open wild lands west of the Mississippi and most of it has game for the table. I'd prefer to avoid the urban game of dog and cat if possible.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:44 PM   #39
Bus Geek

prepping only works if you are 100% unknown and unfound.. in a real acopalypse people with much larger guns and gangs will eat you and any other prepper bunker alive..

take a gander at the thing you hate the most.. the underworld of the unknown internet.. not the pretty place you all see on the screens of the www but the REAL internet.. "preppers" of a different sort ,map out where all the fat white men with big basements are via satellite.. and store the data in EMP safe vaults to be used later.. Maps of every place that satellites can see.. saved.. in many different safe places.. domnt think for a moment that all the computers will just cease to operate.. all the ones on the surface would.. and the GPS and internet and cell would all die as expected.. the openly known "preppers" will be the first places hit by the surviving underworld.. as they will be known places full of food, water, and ammo and probably basic medicines. the cities will burn.. (or everyone surviving shoul;d hope they do or they will just be places of disease propagation)..

not a place I plan to live.. my 45 with one in the chamber will be perfectly suited for me.. quick and easy...

hamskoolie might stand a chance because his non computerized radio gear will be vital.. and the skill to build and repair such rigs will be vital.. most of the rest of the "preppers" will be worthless alive unless they can give up some survival skill (most of the ones ive met are just big on attitude and small on anything useful beyond todays functional world.)

but whatever.. you all can have that life after EMP or Nuke or sunspot or asteroid or whatever..

the other piece of it is likely whatever happens wont be worldwide.. if the northern hemisphere is slammed by sun particles that destroy society it simply becomes open for those in the southern hemisphere to make their moves and vice versa..

for now im just gonna drive my busses run my succesful business and enjoy the life thats here and not worry about space particles..
Old 11-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I couldn’t have said it better myself Cadillackid. Probably take a couple of hits & sip on a little bourbon before it’s over !!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel emmisions, epa, epa destruction, navistar emissions, pre-epa